Silver jade bowl?

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought this today for two dollars at a yard sale. I tested it and it's not Sterling so it's probably silverplated. I suppose it could be 800 I'm not really sure how that tests with the acid test. And then is the stone Jane or soapstone all the markings are in Chinese or Japanese! So I bought it because I thought it was cool but I am no help to myself when it comes to deciding what it's worth or what it even is. Not to mention if it's only the base and it's missing a top as well?

image-3509383696.jpg

image-911814192.jpg

image-1952485438.jpg

image-1254837108.jpg

It measures about 3 3/4 inch across and 2 1/2 inches tall. Thanks

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The top view makes it look like it did have a lid at one time, as that lip just stands out to me. The metal doesn't look silver at all to me, looks more pewter(ish) than silver. Maybe even nickel silver but not sterling silver looking at all IMO. I'm sure it was plated from the pix of the bottom but the top seems to be dull not so much like silver tarnish

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The top view makes it look like it did have a lid at one time, as that lip just stands out to me. The metal doesn't look silver at all to me, looks more pewter(ish) than silver. Maybe even nickel silver but not sterling silver looking at all IMO. I'm sure it was plated from the pix of the bottom but the top seems to be dull not so much like silver tarnish

Junk then?

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picture 53.png
This is prolly what it is similar to. And before you say just $5 look at the shipping... $33. That said yours isn't worth much at all (especially missing pieces) so it appears. Unless its something totally different.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright thank you very much for your help. I thought for sure it was something antique! And once I found out it was not silver my hopes went down the drain

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread