Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spend most of my time at tnet over in the metal detecting forum and just found this awesome section.

I buy bags of jewlery from the Ts and gw when I can and got a half decent one finally

2 gold rings. Both 14k.
14 k earing

But tons of sterling in this one. !!!! I haven't cashed the gold on yet and I am hoarding the silver for now. My other question is what do you guys and gals do with all of the costume jewlery?

There are tons of monet and trifari pieces leftover. I have been giving a lot of it to my mother in law( she makes jewlery). But if I could get even more profit than I am all for it lol

Attachments

• image-1933479212.jpg
    image-1933479212.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 78
  • image-3526252740.jpg
    image-3526252740.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 89
  • image-4110557695.jpg
    image-4110557695.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 72

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you get any sterling pairs of earrings or all singles? Look for makers marks and signed sterling items. You never know what you will find! HH

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spend most of my time at tnet over in the metal detecting forum and just found this awesome section.

I buy bags of jewlery from the Ts and gw when I can and got a half decent one finally

2 gold rings. Both 14k.
14 k earing

But tons of sterling in this one. !!!! I haven't cashed the gold on yet and I am hoarding the silver for now. My other question is what do you guys and gals do with all of the costume jewlery?

There are tons of monet and trifari pieces leftover. I have been giving a lot of it to my mother in law( she makes jewlery). But if I could get even more profit than I am all for it lol

Awesome finds! Nothing like gold from a junk lot. Older Trifari sells well by the single piece. Be sure to offer shipping to Japan. Every piece is different so you have to research them. The really good older pieces (especially Philippe ones -- google Alfred Phillipe) can sell for hundreds of dollars. Newer junk with the cursive Trifari mark won't sell fot 99 cents with free shipping. For monet - there are several standout pieces to keep an eye out for. large chunky runway chains and the charm bracelets. Also -- most vinage monet earrings have solid 14K gold posts. With a large lot, you can get a few grams of gold just from clipping the posts off. They switched to gold filled at some point, and then gold plated, so test them.

JustinNH

Apr 10, 2012
NH
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is great!
I have to take a pic of the gold/silver from my last bags. Better than my average, but no where near what I see posted on TN.

OP
OP
Turbo21

Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys for the help. Time to go through the 4 big boxes of costume jewlery in the garage to see what I have

Are the monet 14k posts marked? I know I have a ton of them and never saw a marked post. I ordered a gold test kit this morning so will have to start testing them.

And here is another question for everyone

How often do you find gold that has no marking at all? I have a few pieces set aside to test. But curious to hear what others have to say

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unmarked gold is not common for me. 3-4 pieces in 4-5 years. But what was gold was large chunks.... A 16k ring worth $275 scrap value. A gold chain that scrapped around $600.... Etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Marked gold that is less than the mark is way more common for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We come across unmarked gold pretty much every week. Mostly older pieces, but often stuff made by hobbyists. I have never seen a mark on the posts. They are extremely common in large lots of costume jewelry and make the difference between a loss and a break-even. They are usually the swivel type posts, but sometimes the mounted posts. The earrings will always be signed Monet (sometimes it hard to find the mark - look very closely - on hoops its usually by the clasp end that the post snaps into). Here's an example on ebay Monet 14k Gold Post Earrings Pierced Goldtone | eBay

OP
OP
Turbo21

Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great info guys. My test kit will be here this week sometime so time to get testing What about gold filled items? Any real value to them. I believe I read somewhere that gold filled items actually contain about 2% gold I have a few rings and necklaces sitting around right now that are marked gold filled so not sure if worth anything or not

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread