Old Maps - What would you do?

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
This post is related to the box of about 130 old National Geographic maps I picked up at a garage sale this weekend. Here is another picture of them:

DSC05099.JPG

I'm sure there are many denizens of this forum who are, like me, fans of history. Perhaps some of you (again, like me) are also fans of maps. I love maps. So, given that I love history and maps, I hated to sell all of these maps and got to thinking about keeping one, framing it, and hanging it on a wall somewhere. Probably the map I like best is this one from June, 1953:

DSC05101.JPG DSC05102.JPG

I really love all the little historical notes on this map but I couldn't come up with an appropriate spot to hang it. Then it occurred to me that the perfect place to put it would be under a piece of glass on our coffee table. I thought this would be visually interesting and a great conversation piece.

DSC05098.JPG

My wife loves the idea as do I. Then it occurred to me, why not keep several of these maps switch them out from time to time. That, of course, raises the question: Which ones do I keep?

That question is the genesis of this post. I don't want to keep all of these maps. I probably only want to keep 10 or so and sell the rest. I have maps from every part of the world that date from the early 1930s to the early 1970s. If you were me, which would you keep? Obviously, everyone is going to have different areas of interest but I'm curious about what selections other forums members would make and why.

I haven't made a final decision on my "keepers" yet but the preliminary list includes the map shown above and:

- A map of California from the early 1950s because that is where I grew up
- A map of New York City from the late 1930s because it has some cool graphics around the edges
- A map of WWII Europe
- A map of the Middle East from 1967 because so much of the news today centers on what is happening in that part of the world
- A map of the Caribbean and Central America because my wife was born and raised in that part of the world.

So, what maps would you keep and why? I'll be fascinated to hear your answers.

usmc1361

Aug 8, 2014
San Diego, CA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love old maps. Could be because I use to make them in the Marine Corps. But they are always so fascinating.

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Tallone, since you asked, here is one man's opinion: keep a map of some place you and your wife have always wanted to visit/vacation at, but haven't gotten to yet. Then one day, put it under the glass on your coffee table, together, and pledge not to replace it until you have taken that dream vacation, maybe on yard sale profits, together. It could be fun at yard sales, holding up something for the other to see acrossed the yard from you and mouth the words of the country or island to the other, as you know it is a score at this price and where the profits are going. Hey, it is just an idea and you asked. LOL

T.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread