Nintendo 64 haul

meanpc

Jun 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
box.jpg

I have never bought anything Nintendo 64 before today. I saw this box at a garage sale and decided to take a shot. I offered $50, and the lady came back with $60, which I gave her. More than half of the games were in the boxes with instruction manuals, and were in really great shape. Five of the games are getting 50-75 on eBay and one of them (Super Smash Bros) is getting 80-100. I'm going even higher than that with my auction, because the box and game are in such great shape. I'll probably net around $700 for everything, including the system and controllers. Even the system was in it's original packaging.

This is the big one:
Super Smash Bros in Box with Manual Nintendo 64 1999 Must See 045496870461 | eBay

Going back tomorrow - she said she was getting the Gamecube and SNES games and systems together. I'll be there bright and early. :)

wotdlois

Aug 12, 2014
NJ
Primary Interest:
Other
thats a nice score! Then there is always that adrenaline when you go back to get the other stuff hoping no one else snags it before you. Hope you get it. Let us know!

OP
OP
M

meanpc

Jun 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went back this morning and she didn't have the stuff together yet. I left her my card and she said she would call me. I had a feeling that would happen - garage sales are a lot of work and the last thing she probably wanted to do after it was over yesterday was sort through more stuff.

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The boxes make this pick awesome. It's hard to find boxes and games together. I picked up a 8 gallon tote full of games last year for $25. Did very well. $400 + I traded the last games that were slow movers for 5 ounces of sterling silverware...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NJSouth

Aug 22, 2014
Vineland NJ
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Bounty Hunter Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find! Thanks for motivating me! My wife is out scouting yard/garage sales as we speak! Any other gems too look out for w good resale??

wotdlois

Aug 12, 2014
NJ
Primary Interest:
Other
i hope she will hold to her word. i prob would have sat there and waited till she got it together. i never trust these sellers - feel like when she finally gets it out and someone spots it she will take the money in front of her rather than go through the trouble of calling you etc. i guess i am always looking at the worst possible scenario only because i have experienced them. good luck!

Eagle101

Jul 22, 2012
New England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Gold,
Garrett AT Pro. Makro racer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow. Awesome score! I go out every week looking for a score like this. Congrats!!!

OP
OP
M

meanpc

Jun 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. Awesome score! I go out every week looking for a score like this. Congrats!!!

I was watching a video on YouTube last night - the only thing this guy looks for at garage sales is video games. He lives in a populated area of Florida, so the weather is good and there are a lot of sales. One of his tips really stood out:

-Walk up and ask if they have video games.

This is really simple but excellent advice. Ask! Whatever it is you are looking for, you will get to it faster, you will make sure you don't miss seeing items, and you might get them to pull something special from inside their house. Especially for stuff like video games - who doesn't have an old console in their closet? I'm gonna start doing this at every sale and see if I increase my video game finds.

Eagle101

Jul 22, 2012
New England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I ask in the right situation. If it's a couple in their 70's I know they aren't going to have video games. But a mother with kids that are 12-16 game on. They usually give the stuff away. Here's what I bought yesterday. I paid $10 for the PS One which is a high price but its mint. $5 for the Nes with 4 games and gun. I'll get $60 for that. 8 ds games $2. Mariokart expansion new in box $2. 360 big game hunter $2. Tony hawk shred $2. PlayStation bag $1. Ps2 controller 50 cents. Ps3/360 games $7 for all. So $31 total. I'll get about $200-$300 for it.

I usually buy stuff to bundle later on eBay around X-mas. Video game stuff doubles in price when the kids get there X-mas money to spend.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140907_055050.png
    ForumRunner_20140907_055050.png
    232.6 KB · Views: 124
  • ForumRunner_20140907_055101.png
    ForumRunner_20140907_055101.png
    214.5 KB · Views: 90
  • ForumRunner_20140907_055110.png
    ForumRunner_20140907_055110.png
    221.9 KB · Views: 80
  • ForumRunner_20140907_055118.png
    ForumRunner_20140907_055118.png
    208.4 KB · Views: 85
  • ForumRunner_20140907_055128.png
    ForumRunner_20140907_055128.png
    222 KB · Views: 98

Fushek

Aug 21, 2013
North East Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a great N64 find! Banjo Kazooie, Zelda and Mario are all great sellers, not to mention the Mega Man. With the boxes, they're like gold!

OldSowBreath

Mar 18, 2009
Just a reminder (that I learned from this board) - whenever you want to contact the seller later, get their card or number. Don't just give them your card, because they often won't call you back.

OP
OP
M

meanpc

Jun 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a limit to how pushy I will be. Keep in mind, I am a stranger showing up to their house. If we have a really good rapport and it seems right, I will ask if we can exchange numbers. I would be quicker to ask a man for his #, but it seems like 80% of the time it's a woman running the garage sale.

Eagle101

Jul 22, 2012
New England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the link. That is going to come in handy.

Saturday I bought about 30 games and 5 consoles. I spent $29. I sold 3 Sega games for $80 alone.

2ndisbest

Nov 6, 2009
I think the secret is out on video games. I ran a garage sale last weekend and all the early birds were asking for gold/silver/militaria/coins and video games. When 60 year old women are checking ebay on their phones for video games they are no longer a secret.

mammoth29

Feb 22, 2013
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hit it good with video games last year when a local merchant was closing up shop. They made me pay $5 each game, but I figured since I got 45 sealed original Nintendo, 52 Sealed Super-Nintendo, and 18 sealed N64 games I would be ok with it. :) One Super Nintendo(Batman) sold for almost 2/3's of my total spent. I ended up clearing a few thousand dollars on that deal.

Eagle101

Jul 22, 2012
New England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
On an average Saturday I profit $300+ from video games. I know there's 1 other person in the area that looks for them also. The key is to hit it hard early. If they start at 7 I'm there at 6 saying "sorry I'm early but I was just passing by". I'm usually done yard sailing by 10am.

This year alone I have amassed a huge amount of games/consoles. Most to be sold around x-mas. I did the same thing last year and sold around $7000 in 2 weeks around x-mas. This year I should do more...

So I don't thing the gigs up.

OP
OP
M

meanpc

Jun 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This past weekend, the last house I went to didn't have any video games out. I asked, and the lady said she had some games, but didn't bring them to the garage sale because she didn't think anyone would pay real money for them there. I asked her to give me a call when she had the stuff together.

Two days later, she starts texting me photos.

A black Wii system with 12 games, all complete in box. One of them was Kirby's Return to Dreamland, which sells for about $50 (already sold it for $55). Most of the others were some variation of Mario. Not too many old sports game trash titles. The Wii was complete in box also, with all manuals and everything.

Gamecube w/ two games and an Action Replay complete in box. The action replay sells for anywhere between 50 and 80. I opened one of the games, Super Monkey Ball, and a bonus game fell out - Zelda Twilight Princess. $40.

DS Lite w case and 7 games and charger. Really good condition.

After I bought the stuff, I opened up the Action Replay, and not only was the Gamecube version in there, but a cartridge and disc for the PS2 was there also. I was also surprised to find a wireless Wavebird controller and receiver for the Gamecube.

After a little back and forth, we settled on a price of $175 for everything. I haven't really added everything up, but I estimate I've got 500-600 worth of gear. It took me about 6 hours to test, photograph and list everything. The awesome thing about video games is how easy they are to list, pack and ship. As long as you are brutally honest about condition and take great photos, it's a breeze.

She's got a Wii U w/ games also, but she said she didn't want to sell it yet because she wanted to make damn sure her son wasn't going to play it. She's definitely calling me when she ready though. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread