First EVER Sterling Silver Silverware (I hope) - REASSURE ME

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a recycle center here that has an xrf gun. They will test an unsure piece for me. I scrapped a copper tray that was silver plated... The guys running the scales only wanted to pay me brass price for it. The owner tested it and paid me #1 copper price for it. I had a hard time believing that there was a pound of silver in the plate material. It made me want to figure out how to set up electrolysis.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
mjm579

mjm579

Jan 6, 2013
Montgomery County, PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went on eBay bc I got to thinking - some STERLING HANDLED knives are marked on the blade, not on the handle. These knife blades have seen there better days. On two I could barely decipher 1835 (1885) R-WALLACE.

OP
OP
mjm579

mjm579

Jan 6, 2013
Montgomery County, PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the best photo I could muster.

Attachments

• image-2612505496.jpg
    image-2612505496.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 75

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a few marked like that which I tossed in the brass bucket for scrap. But you could see the plating worn away at the wear points on the handles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the spoon is 830 silver (aka coin silver) .
looks like the others are testing as sterling but could be triple plate...that is if there is no mark... Try this... take a small file... you can even use a womans emory board and file one of em on the butt of handle... make a nice groove... then apply 18 straight in cut/groove. then see rusults... only way now to know for sure is a "destructive test"... must make a deep cut.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oh.. shoulda said METAL womans emory board... heh

OP
OP
mjm579

mjm579

Jan 6, 2013
Montgomery County, PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a recycle center here that has an xrf gun. They will test an unsure piece for me. I scrapped a copper tray that was silver plated... The guys running the scales only wanted to pay me brass price for it. The owner tested it and paid me #1 copper price for it. I had a hard time believing that there was a pound of silver in the plate material. It made me want to figure out how to set up electrolysis..... Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aww, good old chemistry. :)

I'm fairly certain you would need a LARGE quantity of material to justify the expense and you would definitely want to be certain what metal is plated in silver (some crazy toxic gases can be generated in the process of further treating the metal surface after removing the silver coat). I'm assuming a metal like lead (cathode) and an anode (prob copper wire cage or basket). I'm not sure where (or how) one would acquire such large quantities of acids, etc though. I work around them and still won't take them from work. I buy my testing solutions so I don't have to worry about "stealing" considerations. Keep my work #1 and work #2 completely separate. Only use the analytical scale (though my mini-pocket scale never disappoints).

OP
OP
mjm579

mjm579

Jan 6, 2013
Montgomery County, PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the spoon is 830 silver (aka coin silver) . looks like the others are testing as sterling but could be triple plate...that is if there is no mark... Try this... take a small file... you can even use a womans emory board and file one of em on the butt of handle... make a nice groove... then apply 18 straight in cut/groove. then see rusults... only way now to know for sure is a "destructive test"... must make a deep cut.
On our way to Delaware. Will test as soon as I get home.

Oh, I did two other (less positive) tests.
1) ice test
2) magnetic

The handles melt ice incredibly fast. Even shared the story for educational purposes with my
8 year old. He was fascinated!

The blade was magnetic the handles were not.

I'm fairly certain there is no way to salvage the knives anyway. The blades are too far gone.

mkulltra

Nov 14, 2012
South Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Based on all of your pictures of tests, I would say you have silver. I've pulled about a pound of unmarked sterling silver out of plate silverware piles so it is out there. My buyer would have done all the same tests you did and would have made an offer. I would just hold on to that for awhile before doing anything with it.

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
white's BeachHunter 300/DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have some silver flatware that looks like there's butter knives but I tested and it was plated I'll have to double check

Tigger

Mar 6, 2011
N Central Fla
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
depending on the size, the button hook could be for shoes, or for gloves. hoping you don't sell it for scrap!

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know it when I see it before I research the marks, by just the design... Your busted wood spoon is an early Georg Jensen of Denmark mark. Bummer it's busted, but the handle is where the value is. If you had both fork with spoon the set of that age would be worth $350. - $400. or more. "I Know, It looks like GI, but it is GJ" I'd be happy!

Attachments

• GI 830GI and 830 marks.jpg
    GI 830GI and 830 marks.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
OP
OP
mjm579

mjm579

Jan 6, 2013
Montgomery County, PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know it when I see it before I research the marks, by just the design... Your busted wood spoon is an early Georg Jensen of Denmark mark. Bummer it's busted, but the handle is where the value is. If you had both fork with spoon the set of that age would be worth $350. - $400. or more. "I Know, It looks like GI, but it is GJ" I'd be happy!

I listed the broken spoon last night with a $29.99 starting bid. Less than 12 hours later I got a bid.

OP
OP
mjm579

mjm579

Jan 6, 2013
Montgomery County, PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the Jensen detail. The spoon just sold for $115 + shipping!! Not too shabby for a $2 broken spoon.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the Jensen detail. The spoon just sold for $115 + shipping!! Not too shabby for a $2 broken spoon.
That was a Jensen piece from the design of Georg Jensen himself. His style is unmistakable. You did very good on that find. Look for more of his stuff, it's out there and unrecognized, just don't overspend and do your research. Two bucks, that's great! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions