billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm getting ready to "have" a garage sale... In the pics below, would you look over the items and give me an idea of what they would sell for in your area?

The old silverware is 60 pieces of two different patterns... (I re-did the case with "Scuff Cote shoe polish"), The Howard-Miller clock is battery/quartz and solid Oak. The solid mahogany 4' level has one glass fogged from the inside and the sledge hammer has a protective collar over the handle.....

On table 1 the pipe wrenches are 10", 12" and 18" steel plus two more are 18" Aluminum body, many black wrenches and S wrenches, and several draw-knives.

Table 2, in front, has a device that holds open a horse's mouth, to its left is an railroad "F-wrench" stamped "R.I. Lines". Also there is a pair of metal/wooden hames, a horse collar with a mirror in it, a real 1906 jug, an old microscope, an old hand-crank drill, small animal trap, and assorted hatchets and axes.

The "Ford" pliers and wrench also have two more smaller 4" long "Ford" stamped wrenches, not seen, that one doesn't find so easily.

Thanks,

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    953.9 KB · Views: 162
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 150
  • table 1.JPG
    table 1.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 136
  • other end of table 1 .JPG
    other end of table 1 .JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 137
  • table one close up .JPG
    table one close up .JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 166
  • Ford Pliers and wrench 1.jpg
    Ford Pliers and wrench 1.jpg
    1.2 KB · Views: 373
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 137
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:

nathan104

Feb 23, 2006
Emory TX
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, AT Pro, propointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where in Texas are you? Sure would like to have that sledge with the collar and the double sided axe.

OP
OP
billjustbill

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would you give $12 for the sledge and $15 for the double ax? ;>)

Here are more pics of garage sale items: 1950's locomotive bell with the actual brass "Bell switch" that rings it, an old Parlor heater, old children's rockers, and a 5-piece Children's Ice Cream set...

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    1,017.3 KB · Views: 125
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    860.8 KB · Views: 149
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    760.9 KB · Views: 119
  • Children's Ice Cream set .JPG
    Children's Ice Cream set .JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 124
Last edited:
OP
OP
billjustbill

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would you give $12 for the sledge and $15 for the double ax? ;>)

Here are more pics of garage sale items: 1950's locomotive bell with "Bell" switch that rings it, an old Parlor heater, old children's rockers, and a 5-piece Children's Ice Cream set...

Here are a few more things in next week's garage sale: Prices you think they would go for?

Attachments

• Old garden cart .JPG
    Old garden cart .JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 155
  • Naval flare bag and instruction.jpg
    Naval flare bag and instruction.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 120
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    622.2 KB · Views: 148
  • Solar panels and 30' Porta Boom trailer  005.JPG
    Solar panels and 30' Porta Boom trailer 005.JPG
    268 KB · Views: 119
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    634.2 KB · Views: 119
  • Aluminum cart .JPG
    Aluminum cart .JPG
    456.3 KB · Views: 120
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 140
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    560.1 KB · Views: 116
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    531.1 KB · Views: 121
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    297.5 KB · Views: 110

mammoth29

Feb 22, 2013
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could you have the sale here in Utah? I would love those hatchets... What are they exactly?

nathan104

Feb 23, 2006
Emory TX
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, AT Pro, propointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tell me a price on the train bell before you sell it. MY dad retired from the railroad with 40 years in, he may be interested. And, I JUST bought one of the little cast iron ovens just like that one for my wife a couple of months ago. Ours has a few more little cooking accessories with it though. Paid $40 if I remember right. What city are you in?

OP
OP
billjustbill

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could you have the sale here in Utah? I would love those hatchets... What are they exactly?
Thanks for asking me to move the sale, but the driveway is already too far...:tongue3:\

Most of the hatchets are Plumb, the rest are unmarked.

OP
OP
billjustbill

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tell me a price on the train bell before you sell it. MY dad retired from the railroad with 40 years in, he may be interested. And, I JUST bought one of the little cast iron ovens just like that one for my wife a couple of months ago. Ours has a few more little cooking accessories with it though. Paid $40 if I remember right. What city are you in?

I'm 30 miles away from Ft. Worth.

The train bell will have to bring between $350 and $400. It's bronze cast and the locomotive's 2-1/2" round brass switch that is made for the bell's ringer is stamped "BELL". Boy, does it ring and keep on sounding! Once mounted, all it takes is a small single air hose buried in the ground and up the backside/inside of the mounting post. No need for electricity or manual ringing, just push the BELL button air switch....:headbang: It weighs close to 50lbs, so that's why if it doesn't sell, I'll list it with Dallas/Ft. Worth Craigslist.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Bill, how much you want for that Old Telephone?....Im in the Ft Worth area

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best garage sale I ever had was titled "Divorce Sale." I think people have always heard those urban legends about wives selling the husband's Porsche, and they can't resist coming to see what's for sale.

After some dealer knocked on my kitchen window before dawn to see the stuff before everyone else, I wish I would have had a bear trap out there, though.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Um... what's the mark on silver ware say? both sets please.
If you see the word "sterling" on any piece... DO NO TSELL AT SALE.

mkulltra

Nov 14, 2012
South Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best garage sale I ever had was titled "Divorce Sale." I think people have always heard those urban legends about wives selling the husband's Porsche, and they can't resist coming to see what's for sale.

After some dealer knocked on my kitchen window before dawn to see the stuff before everyone else, I wish I would have had a bear trap out there, though.

I actually have been to one of those sales. Lady sold me all of her husbands golf stuff for $40. I got about a $1000 worth of training and practice items some I sold and some that I kept for myself. Made a nice profit too.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since you are asking about pricing for your garage sale I will say... Just keep in mind that garage sales are where people like you and I go to look for bargains. If it ain't cheap people ain't gonna buy it. Whenever I have a sale, I invite a select few (buyers & collectors) people that I know from the gs circuit for a preview before I have the sale the following day. I do this because I know these are the people that (for the most part) know what something is worth and will pay a fair dollar for it. I know this because I have seen what they pay and what they buy at other sales, be it a garage or estate. I don't invite the cheapskates, they can wait till the day of the sale.

OP
OP
billjustbill

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The long telephone case is empty for the most part. I think it has the coils for the ringer. I'll price it at $35. the shorter Oak box has the working generator and think it rings the bells, but doesn't have a crank. It's $45

OP
OP
billjustbill

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually have been to one of those sales. Lady sold me all of her husbands golf stuff for $40. I got about a $1000 worth of training and practice items some I sold and some that I kept for myself. Made a nice profit too.

Two sales I quickly remember had some great gold and silver. The first one was "after" the divorce about 3 summers ago. Apparently, both found new loves fairly quickly. The lady married and was selling the contents of the house with her new hubby by her side. The two "newly weds" were selling her stuff before they move to the Metroplex to start a new life. Inside a box of those thin sandwich baggies filled with costume jewelry, there were 7 baggies marked $12 each; I bought them all when she came through and said she had put some of her "good" jewelry in those... One had a 10kt gold tennis bracelet.... The jeweler said it had 35, ten point diamonds equaling 3-1/2 karats. Still have it when I saw what those sell for on Ebay.

The other sale had a lady doing the sale for the family. There was one family member that had no rights to the contents of the property and the family had to hire a police officer for security to keep her out. It was a stressful time for all. The family didn't care about the jewelry and the lady in charge had it priced and put in baggies by another garage seller. I spent $700.00 for sterling and 10kt, 14kt, yellow and a little of 18kt white gold. By the time the rest of the weekend went by I found another garage sale with gold and silver. Then the morning of the last day, I went back to the first sale and found some of the 1gram and 2 gram thin gold chains were half price at $7, before the seller pulled other gold baggies.

This year has been a good success; I've paid for my 5KW solar electric project materials and equipment. If only gold could hit $2,000 or more.....:unhappysmiley:

By testing, weighing, and adding up what all I found over that one "Thursday, Friday, Saturday" weekend, it came to just over 2 troy ounces of refined .999 gold in the safety deposit box!!!!!

Last edited:

mkulltra

Nov 14, 2012
South Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just remembered another one. Recently this lady had a box of civil war reenactment stuff that was her ex-husbands which she sold to me for $10 to get rid of it. I still haven't really gone through it yet even though it's been sitting around for two months.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread