68.5 KB · Views: 130
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 129

Hangman

Apr 12, 2014
Cape Coral Florida
Detector(s) used
BH Legacy 2500 , BH Time Ranger, El Cheapo pin pointer, ya gotta start some where !
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool set, but not true models per say, I think they are die cast, AMT, Revel and Monogram where the big company's of the day, Those where my passion as a kid. But still very nice and there is a market for die cast.

Lost&Found

Jul 27, 2013
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lensey also manufactured Matchbox cars, a brand more familiar in the US, Nice buy.

OP
OP
billjustbill

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On another one of the seven die cast models, here is what's cast into the bottom:

"Models of Yesteryear

1928 Mercedes Benz 36/220

Made in England by Lesney"

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! I had at one time each and everyone of those very cars. It would have been around 1965 I think? That was around the time the movie "The Great Race came out and latter Chitty Chitty Ban Bang. You going to sell those Bill?

OP
OP
billjustbill

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! I had at one time each and everyone of those very cars. It would have been around 1965 I think? That was around the time the movie "The Great Race came out and latter Chitty Chitty Ban Bang. You going to sell those Bill?

I would be inclined to sell the full set along with the carton's provenance as the pics show. Don't know what a fair price for this kind of set would bring.

Bill

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be inclined to sell the full set along with the carton's provenance as the pics show. Don't know what a fair price for this kind of set would bring.

Bill
They do bring back some memories of mine. Not sure of what they'd be going for. Do you sell online like ebay and that? Fair Price? It may help to see what other think of that question and I'll do a little checking myself. Dang! you hit me. I'm I a fair and honest guy? :BangHead:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I now found out how I came by these cars as a kid. It was joint promotion between the Mobil Oil Company and Lesney in the 1960s. It's all coming back to me. I know my mom wouldn't have just bought those for me unless there was a deal or something. I found out very early in life the stuff I saw in the store I wanted she'd wouldn't just buy it like you see mothers doing today for their screaming & crying little brats. If I just asked "why Not", she'd grab me by the arm and pull my face to her's and say with a very stern look. "BECAUSE YOU DON'T NEED IT". That be the end of the discussion. My Mom's turning 90 here in October. Her childhood was the great depression. Thanks to her I'll never fall in love with the things that can't love me back, but still I like those cars.

OP
OP
billjustbill

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I now found out how I came by these cars as a kid. It was joint promotion between the Mobil Oil Company and Lesney in the 1960s. It's all coming back to me. I know my mom wouldn't have just bought those for me unless there was a deal or something. I found out very early in life the stuff I saw in the store I wanted she'd wouldn't just buy it like you see mothers doing today for their screaming & crying little brats. If I just asked "why Not", she'd grab me by the arm and pull my face to her's and say with a very stern look. "BECAUSE YOU DON'T NEED IT". That be the end of the discussion. My Mom's turning 90 here in October. Her childhood was the great depression. Thanks to her I'll never fall in love with the things that can't love me back, but still I like those cars.

Interesting information, do you have any links to the Mobile Promo?.... I, too, have a 90 year old mom....and understand your responsibility.

Thanks, Bill

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a great find Bill! I don't know the value but it is a pretty rare mail order promo set. Although this particular set was a promo for "DuPont no.7" products. Mobil oil did have a promo sets too. As you already mentioned do not get rid of the original shipping box. Here is the original salesmen's sample set-

7carssetunknown.jpg

and a DuPont no.7 ad from one of the magazines-

AdvertY06a.jpg

And here is your set-

Matchbox Models Of Yesteryear | Vectis Toy Auctions

OP
OP
billjustbill

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Diggummup!

In a lesser condition that my set, selling for just over $122.00 made me smile.

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep it all together. Someone will like the set.

I paid $10 for it and another $5 for a small metal "bluish 6"x 6" square" portable camping stove that's also a collectible. Both came with stories of being a little girl and a mountain biking young lady from the original owner who has her yard/porch sale with the whole street has its yearly Street Sale in a historical part of town.

Bill

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Diggummup!

In a lesser condition that my set, selling for just over $122.00 made me smile.

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep it all together. Someone will like the set.

I paid $10 for it and another $5 for a small metal "bluish 6"x 6" square" portable camping stove that's also a collectible. Both came with stories of being a little girl and a mountain biking young lady from the original owner who has her yard/porch sale with the whole street has its yearly Street Sale in a historical part of town.

Bill
Is that stove an Optimus? I found an Optimus 8R recently myself, still in the (badly beaten) box.

OP
OP
billjustbill

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll look this afternoon and get some pics.

OP
OP
billjustbill

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll look this afternoon and get some pics.

I was looking for more hatchets and covers, but didn't get that far.

Here are the little Optimjs stove pics. It is about 10"x10". The pump-plunger doesn't pump air with the dry leather, but it appears everything works.

Attachments

• 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 88
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    226.7 KB · Views: 83
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    236.2 KB · Views: 80
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    231.4 KB · Views: 85
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    217.8 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill, Your set looks like all 7 that would have been in the promo set's offered. Still I wonder if what I had came from a Mobile Gas promotion?. My Dad was a regional manager for Standard Oil at the time those sets were being offered. I don't believe mom would have been filling up at Mobile in those days. I'm thinking my dad must have had a connection of some kind to those cars. They could have been offered to him as a possible promotion idea some how?. I do recall the same boxes that your set has, but I'm sure I tossed those for the get-go. My favorite was that blue Bugatti. I recall I referred to that red one with the enclosed coach marked Y-11 as the Munster car.

Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was looking for more hatchets and covers, but didn't get that far.

Here are the little Optimjs stove pics. It is about 10"x10". The pump-plunger doesn't pump air with the dry leather, but it appears everything works.
Nice. When you mentioned it was blue I thought it may be an Optimus.

Bill, Your set looks like all 7 that would have been in the promo set's offered. Still I wonder if what I had came from a Mobile Gas promotion?. My Dad was a regional manager for Standard Oil at the time those sets were being offered. I don't believe mom would have been filling up at Mobile in those days. I'm thinking my dad must have had a connection of some kind to those cars. They could have been offered to him as a possible promotion idea some how?. I do recall the same boxes that your set has, but I'm sure I tossed those for the get-go. My favorite was that blue Bugatti. I recall I referred to that red one with the enclosed coach marked Y-11 as the Munster car.
Here is the Mobil Oil Promo set that Lesney Models of Yesteryear produced- MOY sets

[h=4]Mobil Promotion[/h]
A joint promotion with Mobil Oil company and Lesney in mid 60s in which Models of Yesteryear were given away in exchange for 'purchase'coupons. Some of the models were in special Mobil boxes.

• Y2-2 1911 Renault Two Seater
  • Y3-2 1910 Benz Limousine in cream and green
  • Y5-2 1929 4.5 Litre Bentley No 5
  • Y6-2 1926 Type 35 Bugatti in blue or red
  • Y8-2 1914 Sunbeam Motorcycle and Milford Sidecar
  • Y10-2 1928 Mercedes Benz 36/220

[h=4][/h]​

wagbert

Mar 29, 2008
A-uggaa....Those are real fine quality die cast cars. I think a lot of people, young and old, would like to have them. I quit bringing stuff home. I want to keep everything. :D
Good Luck with selling them,
Phil

OP
OP
billjustbill

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is that stove an Optimus? I found an Optimus 8R recently myself, still in the (badly beaten) box.

In some of 111 models I see for sale, some have cleaned and polished the copper parts. With the pics of the one I have, Diggummup, what would you do before selling it?

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In some of 111 models I see for sale, some have cleaned and polished the copper parts. With the pics of the one I have, Diggummup, what would you do before selling it?
I'm debating that one myself. Mine is in the box but it is tarnished. I'm thinking of maybe giving it a quick polish whenever I do get the time to sell it. Even though I only paid a few bucks for it, I don't want to spend too much time on polishing it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread