Dont sell me a gun!

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or I'll make an offer that I have no idea! Really, I have no clue about guns. So I offered $50 for this old rifle. The guy said sure! Did the paper work. And now... I have a gun. Yeah. But I don't know if it fires, or is worth it... It's not the worst thing I spent $50 on. Just kind of a shot in the dark!

So it's A Mossberg .22 1938. I was able to find the model number so I'm happy with that! I'm sure somebody on here can help me out with the rest.

image-2132882641.jpg

image-468042653.jpg

image-2063162464.jpg

image-4251852615.jpg

image-3392564121.jpg

image-1780406513.jpg

image-2719806629.jpg

If nothing else will probably get rid of the stray cats in the neighborhood?

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can not go wrong on any gun for $50.00. Good deal. To get an idea of possible value check out gunauction.com i think. ( used to be auction arms ) don't get caught poppin the strays... Lol. Now to find ammo for .22.... I'm seeing it around here at $8.00 per 50 rounds... Double store price. And the stores never have any.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
If you want to know if it works without firing it pull the bullet on a .22,dump the powder out of the cartridge,chamber the casing and see if the firing pin sets off the primer.you'll have to fire it though to see if the action works.I wouldnt try the hyper velocity rounds in it though,CCI stingers or remington yellow jackets etc.Stick to the standard .22 rounds.

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks like a 5x model rifle. You said you found the model number. Care to share that with everybody. It would help figure out the value of the gun but I would think at least 150.00 or so considering the damage and dings. The full length mannlicher style stock is prized by some collectors.

As for what to do with it? Learn how to to clean it, educate yourself on gun safety, if you don't know it already, and then take it shooting!!! Take your kids shooting too. A .22 Chipmunk is what I learned on and it taught me one important thing. Respect for firearms and not handle them improperly. I don't doubt that lots of gun related accidents happen with kids that were never taught how to properly handle a firearm.

You teach your kids how to be safe around them but help them realize the danger they pose if mishandled and your kids will be quite a few steps ahead of the rest of the coddled kids in this nation.

One of the fondest memories I have of my childhood is shooting with my old man. He taught me plenty and still does each and every day but those lessons carried the most weight. Your kids will thank you later in life

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks like a 5x model rifle. You said you found the model number. Care to share that with everybody. It would help figure out the value of the gun but I would think at least 150.00 or so considering the damage and dings. The full length mannlicher style stock is prized by some collectors. As for what to do with it? Learn how to to clean it, educate yourself on gun safety, if you don't know it already, and then take it shooting!!! Take your kids shooting too. A .22 Chipmunk is what I learned on and it taught me one important thing. Respect for firearms and not handle them improperly. I don't doubt that lots of gun related accidents happen with kids that were never taught how to properly handle a firearm. You teach your kids how to be safe around them but help them realize the danger they pose if mishandled and your kids will be quite a few steps ahead of the rest of the coddled kids in this nation. One of the fondest memories I have of my childhood is shooting with my old man. He taught me plenty and still does each and every day but those lessons carried the most weight. Your kids will thank you later in life

The last part you put about fondest memories.... Will bring back some for my son later on in life from my father aka his grandpa. Two weeks ago my parents came down and I guess my son told my dad but not me that some kid was picking on him on the bus. And telling him he was as big as a fifth-grader but he's only in first grade. On tuesday morning the kids go to school on the bus and my parents leave. I get a phone call to come to the school at about 930 there was an incident on the bus!

I get to school my sons shirt has blood on it and I freak out a little bit like what the hell just happened? And the principal says we would like to talk to you about that? Really, why!?!?

Supposedly my dad told my son to tell the kid that was picking on him that not only is he as big as a fifth-grader he can hit like a fifth-grader as well! To prove it my son told him to stick his chin out and stick his tongue out as well... And my dad taught my son how to give an uppercut!

I had no idea he is getting picked on. I also had no idea my dad taught him that as well. So my seven-year-old son got suspended for three days for punching some kid in the mouth. And I made the principal upset because I told him "I guess he won't be doing that anymore will he?" About the kid who is giving him a hard time!

So I'm pretty sure that story will be told for the next 50 years of my sons life if not longer! But I'm proud of him for standing up for himself and we've got to spend some time together the last couple days as well! And tomorrow.

We adopted him and he is going to be a big boy when he gets older. his cousin is a wide receiver in the NFL and hes huge and my son is built like a brick house at seven. We have him in football for the second year in a row and his coach is just dumbfounded by how fast is he said within the last 10 years of doing coaching he's never met a kid as fast as him so hopefully we will have many years of enjoying sports and doing stuff together!

Sorry for the random really random off-topic story!

JustinNH

Apr 10, 2012
NH
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice gun, I would have bought it in a second for $50

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
Supposedly my dad told my son to tell the kid that was picking on him that not only is he as big as a fifth-grader he can hit like a fifth-grader as well! To prove it my son told him to stick his chin out and stick his tongue out as well... And my dad taught my son how to give an uppercut!

Out - freakin' - standing! You go, Gramps! Dudes back in his day knew how to deal with bullies. And kudos to your kid for having the stones to take Grandpa's advice. Your tale reminds me of this video: .

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any gun that fires is worth more than $50. WTG.

meanpc

Jun 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think he literally just broke half of the bones in that kid's body.

NJSouth

Aug 22, 2014
Vineland NJ
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Bounty Hunter Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ANY gun for $50 is a good deal. If it don't work, use it as a hammer or whatever you want... Check out gun broker.com for a value.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I'm getting 27 more :) various sizes kinds. One is a Desert Eagle. That's all I was told there was more but I can't remember what they are. I guess I'm turning into a gun dealer who knew. I don't know how I got in charge of these because I don't know anything about them but I work with somebody who has a business who can sell them so that's probably why.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I guess I'm getting 27 more :) various sizes kinds. One is a Desert Eagle. That's all I was told there was more but I can't remember what they are. I guess I'm turning into a gun dealer who knew. I don't know how I got in charge of these because I don't know anything about them but I work with somebody who has a business who can sell them so that's probably why.

Well my friend, you're out and available - and life does happen evolutionarily!

WINTERBEAR

Sep 20, 2012
eastern Wa
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm jealous , my dad has that exact model from the 40s with a scope and I have been casually searching for one for a long time, I would have been super excited for $50. chris

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread