Flatware Buying Information

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello fellow tneters -- pasted below is an article we wrote a year or so ago at the request of a blogger who visited this site.
I don't believe she ever used it but the recent post regarding flatware reminded me of it. Might as well not go to waste. Please post other patterns / makers / tips below if you have had success with them. Thanks.

Stainless "STEAL" Flatware

Have you ever walked into an estate sale late and seen nothing but stuffed animals and a drawer full of stainless forks and knives? Seems like a bummer…but there could be hidden gems right in front of your eyes. If you aren’t already buying and selling flatware, it’s time to take a second look. These items are usually a steal at garage sales and estate sales and can produce fantastic profits at online auction sites like eBay.

What to Look For - Generally

When it comes to flatware – patterns mean everything. Some patterns will bring $50.00 or more per piece, and others will sell only for scrap value. The best way to familiarize yourself with the top patterns is to go to the eBay website and search “vintage stainless flatware”. Next sort by auctions only, and then “number of bids most first”. Focus on the patterns generating the most bids. Do the same for completed listings.

Some patterns were manufactured in limited runs and remain eternally popular. They are therefore always a good bet. (classic examples are the Towle “Beaded Antique” pattern - especially the original German made pieces - and the Washington Forge “Town and Country” pattern). Like all vintage/antique items, however, the popularity of most flatware patterns ebbs and flows along with the popularity of the artistic/aesthetic movement with which the pattern is associated. The post-“Mad Men” resurrection of modernism has caused a feeding frenzy for all things mod – especially streamlined mid-century Danish Modern pieces. Fortunately for us, there is a bevy of Danish modern patterns stashed away in drawers, garages and biscuit tins around the country. Some of the best selling patterns are “Magnum” by Lauffer (a/k/a Towle), “Odin” by Dansk and “Heirloom” by Oneida. Keep an eye our for Yamazaki pieces as well. Even a single spoon, fork or knife in one of these patterns is worth buying and reselling. The prudent “picker” should memorize these patterns and makers, at a minimum.

Oneida, Oneida, Oneida

As you start paying attention to flatware, you will notice a lot of it is marked either Oneida, Oneida Community or Oneida Craft. These pieces were manufactured and marketed by the Oneida Company and there is a market for almost every one of them. Some exceed $50.00 per piece, but most of them are in the $1.00-$2.00 per piece or less category (though even these cheaper patterns usually sell well in sets). Because of the commonality of Oneida pieces, and the incredible abundance of Oneida patterns, it is important to familiarize yourself with some of the “Oneida Basics”. Generally, the best Oneida patterns are the so called vintage “cube marked” pieces. These pieces will all have a three dimensional cube logo next to the Oneida name. These cube marked pieces are heavy, high quality stainless steel. You should not be able to bend a “cube marked” teaspoon with one hand (unless you are Mr. Universe).

Selling Your Pieces on EBay

Most stainless flatware is best sold at a fixed price. You have to remember that vintage flatware is not something that is usually purchased on a whim – rather the majority of buyers are seeking to replace lost or broken pieces from family sets or wedding gifts. You may therefore have to wait for the person who needs the pattern you have to come along.

If you do not know the pattern of the flatware you are selling, don’t bother listing it. People searching for replacement pieces are not inclined to look through the thousands of listings on eBay to try to find their pattern. For that same reason, it is obviously important to put the pattern name in the title of your listing.

Pricing is best based on the current replacements.com price for the same piece. You should generally look to get 50-75% of the going replacements.com price.

You will get the best return if you sell individual pieces – but for the cheaper patterns, this can be a tedious process. A good rule of thumb is to sell pieces valued at $7.00 or more individually, pieces valued at $3.00-$7.00 by the five piece place setting (Spoon, Tea Spoon, Dinner Fork, Cake/Salad Fork and Dinner Knife) and pieces valued at less than three dollars by the set or partial set.

You should be able to ship up to 5 pieces by first class mail. After that, the best method is by USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate Box (angle dinner knives to fit them in the small USPS flat rate box).

Some Random Tips:

1. Keep your eyes peeled for unusual pieces: Iced tea spoons, cocktail forks, sauce spoons, demitasse spoons, serving pieces etc. These pieces will usually, though not always, bring a premium over the regular pieces.

2. Look out for children’s pieces in popular patterns. They look just like the regular pieces except smaller. These pieces will bring a premium.

3. Next time your at Goodwill or your local thrift, pick up a dozen or so different spoons, knives, forks, etc. Take them home and look up each maker/pattern. This is a good exercise to familiarize yourself with values.

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank You! I quote the "Know your flatware patterns" line to myself all of the time! 1847 Rogers Bros "Eternally Yours" is a good seller. Complete service for 8(or almost complete) sell for over $100 and if you have the wooden box, which are not too hard to locate, push the price to about $200. I sold a set for $115 recently because I was raising quick cash for a new purchase I hope to make in the sterling silver area…wish me luck.

2ndisbest

Nov 6, 2009
Some extra info I would like to add, if you see pieces made in Denmark and Holland (amefa) grab them. To a lesser extent Norway, Sweden, and German pieces. Most times these are higher value pieces. Also try and inspect the pieces best you can. I always find pieces that were used as pry bars. Your customers will not be happy receiving these pieces so weed out the bad ones. Also anything with wooden, bakelite, plastic etc. handles check for cracks.

Also the article said never do auctions, and this is correct sort of. I will almost always auction off my sets but my starting price will be my buy it now price if it fails to get bids on a couple of tries. So if I would put a $100 buy it now on a set, I would try and auction it first for $100 starting price. If it fails to get any bids then I relist it as a buy it now at the same price.

I have never broken sets so sell place settings. I know selling place settings or individual pieces will make more money in the long run, but I like selling sets because it is a one time deal. Less hassle for me. Just my personal preference.

Some of my best scores come from buckets of flatware marked $10 for all. Most times you can easily get it for less than half off as 99% of stainless flatware not in a wooden case is considered junk by most estate sale companies. On the flip side any silverplate is generally way overpriced. I have sold a couple of silver plate sets but stainless is where it is at most of the time.

I have also picked though those same buckets and found one individual piece that pays for the entire purchase. And worse case scenario you have some metal for the scrap pile. Once I bought a bucket of flatware for $3 and it had 6 titanium camping spoons mixed in, needless to say I did ok on that buy.

Now the bad part of flatware. Identifying patterns can be long and tedious. There are thousands of makers and some makers have thousands of patterns. Most times you get a maker and where it is made, though some do have the pattern on them.

In closing all I can say if flatware has been a constant high value item. And it might sound stupid but stainless sets can go for more than sterling sets.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good information. I just saw a cat, he's not in the bag anymore though! Seems he's been let out. Darn it. :laughing7:

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great info, thank you! I've had decent luck with SS flatware, but have gotten away from looking for it. Time to get back to it, thanks again!

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
Great info. I see lots of silver plate flatware at yard sales and estate sales but I never buy it. I presume there are some desirable silver plate patterns as well. Do you know of any I should be on the lookout for?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread