Its About Time

Fushek

Aug 21, 2013
North East Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
It's About Time

Took a day off to go garage sailing with my wife. Found a couple neat items to share.

First, two watches. The Omega is marked 14K gold on the back (but is missing the winding piece on the side). The Seiko "Lord Elgin" watch is marked 10K gold and seems to be working fine. Both came in original boxes. The bands aren't very good. I don't know much about watches, but figure that I can't go wrong with gold ... they were only $1 each! :headbang: Any thoughts on the watches from those in the know would be appreciated as I know nothing about them.

IMG_5921.JPG IMG_5920.JPG

Next, found 2 digital TV converters. They were two dollars each and, being new, should sell for 25 to 30 each.

IMG_5926.JPG

Finally, found about 100 postcards from the 40s & 50s (all unused) and one PS1 game (I love video game finds) called Monster Rancher 2. Should sell for around $25 or so.

IMG_5927.JPG

mkulltra

Nov 14, 2012
South Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Omega is a really nice watch. I'm jealous. All Swiss watches are usually high end. If you ever see Swiss made on the bottom of a dial, you should always buy it if it is priced right. Nice finds all together.

Jayers

Jun 28, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Just starting out with a BH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd go get a repair estimate on the Omega. That's a top end watch. I have an omega seamaster as my everyday watch and it was four figures....and that's the more economical model.

Justice70

Oct 18, 2008
michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Whites Prizm iv
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. Do you collect postcards?

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Nice finds on the watches! Just a thought, but maybe you could eBay or Craigslist the 10K Seiko to pay for the Omega repairs. Then you wouldn't have a $1 nice, but broken watch, but a free, 14K high end, 4 figure watch with box! Congratulations to you on the finds.

T.

OP
OP
F

Fushek

Aug 21, 2013
North East Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the thoughts on the watch! I'm not a watch guy at all (never wear one) so I'm definitely planning to sell it. I'll have to check on how much it'll cost to repair to see if it makes sense to repair before reselling it.

As to the postcards, I'll upload some samples. If you want to see some more, I can upload them. Include some trips to Yosemite (very cool as I just took the kids there this summer!), Seqoiua, Utah, Grand Canyon, and east to NYC, Mass, Maine and more. No Disneyland which made my kids sad, LOL. My favorite is in the upper right corner of the last picture. There's an arrow to a circled cabin that I'm guessing the family stayed in ... I thought that was neat!

IMG_5928.JPG IMG_5929.JPG IMG_5930.JPG

Justice70

Oct 18, 2008
michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Whites Prizm iv
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty cool. I purchased a box of postcards a couple months back that range in age from 50's to the 90's some new and some used. I think they are neat to look at but now that I've done that, I'm not sure what to do with them.

Jayers

Jun 28, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Just starting out with a BH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As for the repair, high dollar watches have high dollar repairs. So be prepared for sticker shock. But when it's fixed you should be able to get your money back quite easily and then some.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just took a 14 karat gold pocket watch that the stem broke out of to Sears watch repair and it was $30. So you might want to check them out. Before they go out of business.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool postcards, look like mostly linen ones. I like the view from the Empire State bldg. one. That one you like is nice too. Where is that at?

OP
OP
F

Fushek

Aug 21, 2013
North East Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
Quick update for those who are interested in final selling prices:

The TV Converters sold for $30 each to the same person. Easy $50 profit :thumbsup:

The Omega watch and the Lord Elgin watch are up for sale now if anyone is interested in watching what they go for (someone already offered $190 for the Omega watch as is). I listed the watch boxes seperately:

Omega: Omega Swiss Made 14k Gold Men's Watch | eBay
Lord Elgin: Lord Elgin Swiss 10K Gold Men's Watch Waterproof | eBay
Omega Box: RARE Vintage Omega Watch Box | eBay
Seiko Box: RARE Vintage Seiko Watch Box | eBay

Good luck to everyone with their hunt (and their sales!).

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
When I looked into repairing a high end watch (14K gold) I was told $350 from two different watch repair places. I personally wouldn't trust a cheap place with a high watch. For me, the price of the repair was going to eat into the profit, and I sold it as is. I still got $500 for one and $400 for the other. Not bad for two watches I pulled out a jar.

These are awesome finds! Whatever you decide to do will probably make you really, really happy. Great dollar find. Doesn't this belong on that list of great dollar finds?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread