Feelings about pawn shops

jackiedanger

Apr 7, 2014
Foresthill, Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone! I wanted to ask your opinions about buying jewelry at pawn shops. I recently visited one, and found a beautiful vintage filligree, old mine cut diamond ring, with a couple small sapphires. The guy said the diamonds were yellow, they looked champagne to me. 14k white gold. I didn't take pictures, its long though, from bottom knuckle to middle knuckle. He wants $300, thought about asking if he would take $200. I know it would be hard for you guys to say without more info or pics, but do you think its worth it?

Main question about this post: Does anyone ever score from pawn shops?

Thanks

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
To be a pawn shop one must assume a great deal of savvy is involved, and knowledge.

To be certain, the likelihood of a reasonable bargain can be found there, but do not expect to find bargain treasure - except as a long shot.

OP
OP
J

jackiedanger

Apr 7, 2014
Foresthill, Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hearing something you know (but don't want to admit), from someone else, helps put things in perspective. Thanks Deepseeker

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
To be certain, the likelihood of a reasonable bargain can be found there, but do not expect to find bargain treasure - except as a long shot.

Ditto,buying you might find a deal or two.Selling is another story.I brought a Washburn 5 string bass guitar to a pawn shop once.I paid almost 900 bucks for it,I was offered 150 bucks for it,I couldnt stop laughing as I told the guy he could kiss my _ _ _.

OP
OP
J

jackiedanger

Apr 7, 2014
Foresthill, Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have only sold to pawn shop once. All my gold rings and necklaces when I was in college. barely got $200. I used the money to buy books. I still think about that jewelry. I still regret it.
Ditto,buying you might find a deal or two.Selling is another story.I brought a Washburn 5 string bass guitar to a pawn shop once.I paid almost 900 bucks for it,I was offered 150 bucks for it,I couldnt stop laughing as I told the guy he could kiss my _ _ _.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Those pawn shop owners and workers are no dummies .. Very seldom will you get a deal at one if ever..

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is one by us and I've done really well in the store. I don't go there that often but if I'm driving by I'll stop by if I have some time and they're always like it to you again! looking for some more good deals! LOL that's why stop there.

But I figured it was a place to get good deals because I took them a 1 ounce gold kuggerand they told me it was fake because it weighed too much. But they weigh more than 1 ounce gold eagle anyways. But I've done really well on their coins, go figure! And also on sterling jewelry designer sign stuff. I don't mess with gold from places like that unless it's like a gold charm bracelet or something spectacular.

NJcigarman

May 25, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Whites Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I go in one in my area. I have found sometimes they got so much stuff they don't price items correctly. For instance a few years ago when silver was on the move I happened to stop by to look around. That morning on eBay silver dollars were going around 35 to 36 dollars at the end of auction. This was for the common dates even in poor condition. In this shop they were in a case with revolving trays. I started looking and they had the common dates all priced at $22.00-23.00 each. I bought them all.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread