Estate Sale- Old Trunk? Awesome Seth Thomas clock! And a ball.....

mammoth29

Feb 22, 2013
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hit an estate sale in probably the most affluent part of the state I live in. Overall I did really well as I paid well below what I think these things are worth, but I do have some questions and lot's of pics!

First comes this trunk. As soon as we stepped into the house my wife had to have it so regardless of age it was going home with us. At first glance I thought it was a newer trunk made to look vintage, but now I am not so sure. I will leave my reasons to myself right now and am hoping many of you will chime in and let me know what you think!

Second I scored another awesome Scott Thomas clock. This one is an "electronic strike" Regulator clock and it is complete except for the Pendulum and Bob. I haven't fully tested it yet but I am hoping it works. I am going to try and fix this one up, so does anyone know where I could find a Pendulum? I assume the stamp SEP77 means September of 1977?

Third is a vintage Everlast Medicine Ball that I thought was cool and it could help my boys toughen up :icon_thumleft:

Like I said, I didn't pay too much for these items as I also scored some new tennis rackets and a racket bag in the deal. I am mainly just looking for any comments and/or help on the first couple of items. Thanks!

IMG_0225_zps0d4343e5.jpg IMG_0227_zps26079738.jpg IMG_0228_zps2c82ebd4.jpg IMG_0229_zps47324176.jpg IMG_0230_zps1f479ddb.jpg IMG_0231_zps5103f108.jpg IMG_0232_zpsba3a8a42.jpg IMG_0233_zpsb586a0f4.jpg IMG_0234_zps61d18d63.jpg

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to order most of my parts from Timesavers. That or usually find a good deal on ebay.

Last edited:

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
Love the trunk! I think it is original mainly because of the label on the inside. I doubt if a manufacturer of a reproduction trunk would go to the trouble of printing a label like that and then damaging the label to make it look old. If it is a repro, it is a damn good one. I like it either way.

steif

Mar 2, 2007
Not a repro, for sure an old one. more than likely it had the tin all the way around it just like the lid. however, I have done the same to several when getting ready to sell them. if the tin was in bad shape, I just cut it off and refinish the wood underneath, it is a heck of a job, but the end product is much more appealing.

I try to get the ones covered in paper, leather of canvas, we strip that off and finish the outside and paper the inside. makes a good item out of a cheap trunk up here.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, they are not cross hatched. Though looking at that pic they do look like they are.
Why were you thinking it may have been a repro made to look old? That nail head was the only thing I could find that may have been suspect.

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
I was looking at some pictures of estate sale items yesterday and came across a photo of a trunk very similar to yours. The main difference was that one had not been restored in any way and it clearly had a LOT of age to it. I think yours is original but has been cleaned up. Yours is far more visually appealing than the old, grungy one I saw yesterday.

OP
OP
mammoth29

mammoth29

Feb 22, 2013
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was looking at some pictures of estate sale items yesterday and came across a photo of a trunk very similar to yours. The main difference was that one had not been restored in any way and it clearly had a LOT of age to it. I think yours is original but has been cleaned up. Yours is far more visually appealing than the old, grungy one I saw yesterday.

I don't think mine has been restored either. In fact on the front where the wood is showing it was supposed to have the metal plating but it looks like someone has cut it off. I just think it was a trunk well taken care of!

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Trunk man!...I see them selling anywhere from 250-400 bucks at the shops...Yours looks nice too

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread