Thrift Store Strategy

mkulltra

Nov 14, 2012
South Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking about doing more thrift store hunting now that I am working for myself but wanted to get your opinions on strategy. Do you find it better to hit the same store fequently looking for new items to be put out or to keep looking at different stores less frequently? Also, do you find going at a specific time works better for you? Do you have thrift store specific items that you look for because they are easier to find there? Any other advice for thrift store hunting?

I live in an area with tons of choices for thrift stores. Within 5-10 minutes, I could probably be at 7-10 different stores.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I made friends with one at our thrift store locally. She told me that they were having a problem with customer stealing stuff and some employees were stealing stuff as well. I told her that I would be interested in buying any high-end items jewelry included and I gave her one of my cards. Every time they get an Xbox 360, or video games, gold silver, iPad, or even high-end shoes or purses, basically anything that has a value of over $100 per or the store manager will call. Especially on the jewelry they, had so much of it stolen I buy everything they get in.

The other store I go in the afternoon because that's when they put their new jewelry out. So the web with you knows what she's doing but she doesn't know names of stuff so I usually do good on finding a piece of jewelry with the designers name out of there. Also Wednesdays they have the whole store half off for seniors. So Tuesday is a really good day because they have the shelves stocked full of stuff! So if there something really worthwhile it'll probably be out on Tuesday afternoon. And then Fridays before noon as well normally dead there and they start putting stuff out for the weekend.

And then just cut out whatever ones are too overpriced. For instance the ones that have the eBay print outs next to all of their items. Normally not worth your time.! So I would just go to every one of them one day and just figure out which ones have affordable prices and which ones let their stuff sit there for months and don't sell it because it's too high. And figure out which ones have sales win because I normally put stuff out more or which ones don't. So I'm off for half off clothing on certain days and half off all her stuff either certain days loser normally good in the morning time. And personally I made a killing and Salvation Army in the past they seem to have the best prices and sometimes some decent quality stuff.

jfreakofkorn

Jul 19, 2012
behind a desk ...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i hit up a few store(s) a week ....

they stock up differently and each of they have unique item(s) from that area of the town/ city

i try to make friends w/ the managers/ assist managers ( even the employees ) with leaving my number there ( in case they get something in that i am looking for )

it just depends on many factors and esp. at what you are looking for =0)

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Beach, inspired by your postings, and those of others, I've started hitting thrift stores - several months now, but just not often.

At a Salvation Army, there's a wall rack of jewelry which I've hit several times, but with zero luck finding precious metals. They also have a closed case which I haven't hit yet at the register. I'm thinking I should be hitting that instead of the wall rack.

At the two Goodwill stores, all jewelry items are in a case at the register. For the most part it all looks like cheap crap, so I have not asked to see any items.

Not many fish in the three thrift stores in this rural neck of the woods.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess also if you're hitting a lot of thrift stores and expand your knowledge on more stuff. Vintage clothes do well and some pottery. in more of the common sports equipment and Jordan shoes etc. i've done extremely well which I'm surprised with 80s and 90s styles snapback baseball and football hats. Along with the belt rack seems to be missed very commonly. Have found some namebrand stuff in there plus a lot of other designer names I've never heard of the end up being pretty good. One is Marjorie baer! I get $75 a belt and I found them at over 8 different thrift stores. And they're made in California. I've Done pretty well in the toy section as well.

Fushek

Aug 21, 2013
North East Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
Since I still work for a company during the day, I try to sneak out at lunch a time or two a week to hit a local thrift store (mainly Salvation Army which is very close and occasionally a Goodwill) so my thoughts are limited to tactics. I generally try to hit areas that they never look for "gems". Most of them know enough to spot gold/silver so I rarely look at the jewelry. Usually, I browse through the toys/games, the electronics and the books.

Toys/Games - most thrift stores have NO idea what game might be valuable. I've found a few games in thrift stores that are valuable and sell well. Some examples are Heroquest by MB ($100), Speak and Spell ($40), Hotels board game by MB ($60), Jati by 3M ($300), Key to the Kingdom ($50) etc ... As they aren't typically researching these, they typically slap a 1.99 or 2.99 price tag on them. Other smalls like Radica Solitaire and other small card games are typically cheap and sell well.

Electronics is a big more of an adventure ... you need to find the oddball items and know what they're worth. There are still bargains to be found.

Books ... same thing. You need to know what you're looking for, but there are hidden gems in here as well.

It's a lot of work learning some of these categories, but for me, they hold the highest rate of hidden gems. And if you like any of the categories (I love toys/games), so the research is rather fun!

2ndisbest

Nov 6, 2009
I have nearly given up on thrift stores around me. Most are filled with total junk. Every piece of electronics is broken or missing parts. Though I don't pound them hard so maybe the good stuff is getting taken quickly. I ussually do the best picking glass ware items. Not huge profits but pays for some gas money.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just went to one I have not been to in a long time. I asked if they had any jewelry because your cases were bare and she said come with me!! She took me to the office and asked if I had some time and I sat down with her and help sort out three boxes of jewelry. Now she wants me to come back every week and volunteer to help a couple hours one day a week and I get choice on anything..... That is probably the best connection I have ever made!

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pick a thrift store close to you and hit them an hour before they close during the week, every day. Never go on discount days and always go on the first day they put new items out. Make friends with the managers as they will give you the scoop on what is there and sometimes give you discounts. HH

Jayers

Jun 28, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Just starting out with a BH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a set of about 9 stores that I hit about once a week. There are literally five on one street spread out along a mile. But since I go after my day job and I spend up to an hour Ib each one I don't get to hit more than about three in a night.

Once a week yields quite a lot of turnover. I see some things from the week before but always plenty of new items. I actually dont hit all 9 every week but would if time allowed. I have about four that I always try to hit, as they produce the best results.

I buy to sell both at an open air flea market and in eBay. I pick furniture , Pyrex (and the copycats), toys, games and luggage. I look at jewelry but I never see the good stuff. My other specialty, musical instruments, I get off of craigslist. Looking at a drum tonight in fact.

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I hit several different stores every single week. There are a few my friend hits. The best advice was given above about making friends with the help. That is how I got my best stuff. The owner of one store even showed me pictures on her phone of what was in the other store, cuz she knew I would like it. (It was too over priced.)

The Good Wills here know me by name and recognize my voice. <hangs head in shame> But, the plus side is that they will tell me if there is no jewelry, or if they are working on jars or not to waste my time. My friend said I need to grease the hand of the manager of the good store, but I am too scared to do that. Plus, I personally do not think it would work. the guy is just too straight laced.

BTW, when you hit the stores a bunch of times, you will get a feel for if they get stuff worth your while, or if not. One TS is going to go off my list for a while, because for the last two months they have had nothing. Also, vary the times you go to learn their schedules. Like above, I figured out when one of the stores puts out their new stuff. they let me glance in the box of a jar they were making. They were going to toss a gold chain. I asked if I could have it. Turns out it was 10K. Make friends! They are your golden ticket.

OP
OP
mkulltra

mkulltra

Nov 14, 2012
South Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for all of the suggestions. Does anyone buy clothes at thrift stores besides vintage concert tshirts? I saw that JustinNH sells a lot of clothing and I'm thinking about getting into it. Easy to ship and don't have to worry about breaking or not as described stuff.

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do a good majority of my picking at thrift stores, so I will echo the "make friends" sentiment. For a while I was going to a thrift store that was pretty high end, and I befriended a girl who ended up showing me the "not good enough" bin in their donation sorting area that was destined for the trash. I got to pick it for free, and let me tell you they got rid of some good stuff! Also do some research (usually just word of mouth, the best ones don't exist on the internet) and try to find tiny local thrift stores and church sales, they tend to yield some of the best deals. Plus, a lot of them are genuinely charitable organizations that are doing real good, so you can feel good twice; once when you get a big smile and thank you when you drop $100 at a church sale, and again when you make $1000 on the items you found.

Honestly one of the biggest sources of hidden gems at thrift stores that many pickers pass over is the clothing. It can be a pain in the neck and very time consuming, but it is super easy to ship clothing (it's not going to break in transit!), and pretty easy to find $1-$10 items to turn into $20, $30, $50, $100, $200 over and over. Use ebay sold listings to find stuff that sells, I usually just type in a general search like "men's Jacket", then set the filter to "pre-owned" and $29.99+ sold price, then scroll and learn. I personally recommend men's and unisex clothing & accessories, the women's clothing market is too complex for me, but there can be huge gains to be made if you put in the time to learn it.

Many people are wary of clothing because of returns, but honestly if you only buy high quality items and take careful measurement, it really isn't a problem. I've been selling mostly clothes for 2 years now, and I've only had 2 returns, and I quickly re-sold the items as soon as I got them back. Even if someone wants to return something, you shouldn't be buying clothes that you can't easily sell again. Also on that note, while you're new to the game avoid gambling. It is easy to try and justify a cheap purchase, but as a person who as probably spent hundreds on total duds I would suggest writing down the brand name, looking it up at home, and then visiting the next day or chalking it up as a lesson learned instead of buying on a whim.

Hope this helps, let us know how it goes!

Last edited:

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's also lots of stuff at thrift stores that you may not think people would want, but you'd be surprised. Used shoes for example, a pre owned pair of L.L. Bean Boots (known as "the bean boot" can still sell for $30-$50, even up to $70. Other brands to look for are Dansko, Birkenstock, Brooks Brothers, Salvatore Ferragamo (men's only), Air Jordan, Timberland, etc. Basically any shoe that sells for $100+ new can be an easy $30-$50 used if in good shape. This is one of many examples, basically if you keep an open mind and do lots of research thrift stores can be great!

NJcigarman

May 25, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Whites Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I start off looking for items new with tags still on. There will not be alot at GW or TS. But I found they sell a little quicker. Also it seems the plus size for women and 2X and bigger for men move the fastest. When I can find a decent used pair of women's jeans. The ones with all the fancy designs, fake jewels etc on the back pockets move pretty quickly too. With the winter approaching check the coat rack too. I scored brand new London Fog Raincoats back in July with $160.00 tags on them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread