Whats It Going To Take To Have A Garage Sale Find Make The Banner?

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's It Going To Take To Have A Garage Sale Find Make The Banner?

This has been mentioned once or twice in the past I believe. I think we get absolutely no credit on this forum for our finds. Over the years there have been some great finds posted on here. Can someone explain the difference in finding a rare object with historical value with your metal detector or with your eyes at a garage sale? Seeing as how native American finds are also found with nothing but your eyeballs. Urban treasure hunters (garage sale treasure seekers) get no respect on this website as far as i'm concerned.
These are the "guidelines" for a banner find as stated by River Rat, you'll notice nothing is mentioned about finds having to be found in the ground-

While we don't have any firm criteria, we follow these general guidelines...

Finds must be significant, and plausible.
Finds / posts must be RECENT.
Images must be hosted on the TreasureNet server.
Posts with great stories are more likely to be selected.
If the post is one of the members first posts, it is less likely to be selected.
Finds must look good in the banner.

Yet not once has a garage sale find been nominated. My challenge to everyone who frequents this forum is... the next time we see a truly rare find from a garage sale we click the nominate banner button and leave a reply as such on that thread.

Please give your personal thoughts regarding this matter. You too mods!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the Garage sale Finder loosing it & someone Else finding it perhaps.

Purchases should never make Banner imo

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny, never realized such finds aren't given consideration. Just never thought about it. Wonder if there is a stigma with obtaining a find that a person sold for far less than it's value due to ignorance. I realize that upon purchase most people are taking a gamble until they get a chance to confirm and item is rare or valuable, but in no way am I implying that it is unethical to purchase what another has priced. I am guessing that a big part of it is due to the fact that the majority of us on Tnet metal detect and just appreciate those finds more as we relate more to the efforts and luck involved. I for one will pay more attention. HH

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny, never realized such finds aren't given consideration. Just never thought about it. Wonder if there is a stigma with obtaining a find that a person sold for far less than it's value due to ignorance. I realize that upon purchase most people are taking a gamble until they get a chance to confirm and item is rare or valuable, but in no way am I implying that it is unethical to purchase what another has priced. I am guessing that a big part of it is due to the fact that the majority of us on Tnet metal detect and just appreciate those finds more as we relate more to the efforts and luck involved. I for one will pay more attention. HH

now there may be a possibility
a find that a person sold for far less than it's value due to ignorance.
like the "Hopefull Diamond" or "Moner Liza"
I hope ya get my point :tongue3: the purchase would have to like
the Declaration of Independence hidden in the Back of a Painting that was purchased
for $5.oo but proof of real Value would need to be confirmed before it is considered an Old (purchase) Find

Last edited:

2ndisbest

Nov 6, 2009
To be technical about it, digging something up from the ground is a little different than discovering a picasso at a garage sale. Museums find misplaced artifacts long forgotten in their own inventories. I would not call them great "finds".

I always wondered how much great stuff I have missed at garage and estate sales because some person with no knowledge of what they purchased, thought it looked cool. For instance, a woman is redecorating and goes to the local thrift store for some art, she pays $8 for a painting by a master, and it hangs on her wall for 20 years. Tells her kids that she got it at a thrift store 20 years ago for $8 and her kids grow up hating it and sell it at a garage sale for $5. It was never lost just the true value unknown by the owner.

Another point is, our great finds are not determined by the item itself, they are determined by what we paid for said item. If I go to an estate sale and fork over 100 mil for a painting and sell it at auction for 80 mil, nobody is going to tell me that 100 million dollar painting was a great find.

If you petitioned for a garage sale forum banner that might be cool, but honestly I don't have a problem with our "finds" not being recognized.

Lost&Found

Jul 27, 2013
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I often wondered the same thing. Purchasing an item should not be a criteria for exclusion. Do not people who MD invest time and money in equipment in their search. As a picker I am using my senses and experience to detect an item. Sometime ago there was a story about a person who found an original copy of the Declaration of Independence hidden behind a picture of a frame they bought at a flea market or the Navajo blanket recently auctioned. Those undeniably would be a banner find.

Last edited:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want to make the banner meaningless the best way to do that would be to put purchases up top, and no offense, but anyone who thinks that's a good idea either does not detect, or has loss touch with what metal detecting is really about. Buying and selling is business, it's work, but fun work, and sure brag about the best buys, do a dance, throw a party... but at the end of the day if you have to pay for it, it's not the same. And yes, I buy and sell for a living, and do wish I could find all the same stuff with my detector!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I often wondered the same thing. Purchasing an item should not be a criteria for exclusion. Do not people who MD invest time and money in equipment in their search. As a picker I am using my senses and experience to detect an item. Sometime ago there was a story about a person who found an original copy of the Declaration of Independence hidden behind a picture of a frame they bought at a flea market or the Navajo blanket recently auctioned. Those undeniably would be a banner find.

So I go out tomorrow and dig a super rare GW button, you see my post on another forum and offer me 10k, which I accept. You then come here and post it, and say you just stole what you think is a $20,000 button for half price... and that should be a banner find for you? So where would it start and where does it end? There is no good answer, which is why it's a bad idea.

Lost&Found

Jul 27, 2013
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's value is not my point. Where and when I can make a find is. When an item ends up at a TS, GS or estate sale and is buried among other items its identity is lost. It's meaning is established upon research; in a sense, the rationale for my screen name. Due to my life style I can't dive on shipwrecks looking for porcelain treasures but can still search for Blue & White Ming porcelain. For me it's the hunt to rediscover items not how.

Last edited:

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buying and selling is business

That's just it. If i were able to buy a car for 3k and sell it for 10k...All I really did was Buy and resell..."Unearthing" something is a complelty different world.
Not discounting that you can find great things at yard sales, but they are pt out for the public to sell, so no one is really finding them, because they were never lost

Lost&Found

Jul 27, 2013
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So following the logic if one was to make a deal to detect on someone else's property and offer them a percentage it would be business too and an item found would be excluded?

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a ton of difference to me between the arrowheads I have found in the dirt and the arrowheads I have "found" at garage sales and antique stores. It is not about the value of the arrowhead.

Someone who finds an arrowhead at a garage sale is different than someone who spent hours walking and staring at the ground with a high probability of finding nothing.

I imagine metal detecting is the same way. I might find a cool cannonball at a sale, but I would never place myself on the same level as someone who did the research and then went out with a detector and dug a hole.

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a ton of difference to me between the arrowheads I have found in the dirt and the arrowheads I have "found" at garage sales and antique stores. It is not about the value of the arrowhead.

Someone who finds an arrowhead at a garage sale is different than someone who spent hours walking and staring at the ground with a high probability of finding nothing.

I imagine metal detecting is the same way. I might find a cool cannonball at a sale, but I would never place myself on the same level as someone who did the research and then went out with a detector and dug a hole.

Yep...... that about sums it up.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your likes, advice & comment's are banner's to me diggum. That's the only new feather I think I'll ever need in my hat. Are finds are not always the result of coincidence or luck. MD folks can hit it big the first time out. I can see giving an applause to that. We teach and learn here. We are an institution.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So following the logic if one was to make a deal to detect on someone else's property and offer them a percentage it would be business too and an item found would be excluded?

If you're going to stretch it, you might as well just say it took a business deal to buy a detector so no finds should count.

Lost&Found

Jul 27, 2013
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can see where GS ect. for the sole purpose of resale can be considered a business deal but taking into consideration going through tons of crap and finding that special item that one maybe looking for to add to a collection is a find.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

As example if someone buys an ugly landscape at a garage sale and finds a copy of the Declaration of Independence hidden behind it I would considered voting for it for banner as it wasn't what was bought but was discovered hidden, but buying a specific item that is under valued at a thrift store or garage sale I would never vote for banner...

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Only if the item was Known 100% to be there...
a planted like an easter egg hunt type deal.

I shouldn't say "only" there are probably other senerios that would be excluded
also, or accepted depending....

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no matter what in most cases it still comes down to Voting.

We The mods are just the "fail safe" to try & make sure what goes on the Banner is a real
"find" & hopefully not a grab for attention

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't think buying a relic of great work of art is in the same category as finding something lost and rare in the ground but that's just my humble opinion. I recently heard of a guy that would buy Civil War plates,go on a hunt with friends, venture off by himself and come up with amazing finds until someone busted him. That just left a really bad taste in my mouth that someone would be that competitive and it devalued the actual item itself in my mind being a bought item. I'm not trying to take anything away from die hard garage sale goers,having a good eye for a rare relic or work of art is a skill but not the same thing I don't think as finding a rare relic in the ground.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread