Blast from the past!

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What was your treasures as a kid. Stuff either you found that yard sales or if you went to one and you saw something you had when you were younger you would buy it no matter what! If it had a high-value or no value at all but what is that thing that you would see and say this is coming to my house today!!

When I was younger I had a butterfly collection and insect collection. I collected anything that was framed or whatever. well that stuff doesn't last 30 years unless it's properly framed which mine wasn't. I used to win science fairs every year in school. On the local and state levels for my collection. I have pictures of it somewhere but nothing handy. This is all I have left and should I come across any more at a sale I would definitely buy them! My wife thinks it's creepy that I have them on my wall but my kids think they're pretty cool especially the blue one!

image-2528540068.jpg

willis7

Mar 29, 2014
I was really into geology and fossils! still am, my 4-H display got grand champion 3 years in a row at the state fair, I always buy fossils and crystals that catch my eye

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol Cool !

I guess rocks, foreign Coins & bills & stamps were my thing.

used to have all kinds of Rocks from Fern fossils to just plain rocks :laughing7:
Dad was a Coal Miner & would bring Gigantic slabs of Fern Fossils & Petrified Tree
pieces home for me/
if we went on a family trip, Didn't matter if it was unusual, or a driveway stone I had to pick one up
& put it in my pocket :tongue3: i also sent letters to different states, & some sent me free
Rock collections from I guess their Geology Departments :dontknow: long time ago.

mostly something like this but state Oriented

Untitled.jpg

The other stuff I needed to buy so the collections were not so large

But it's all gone now

well, almost all

DSCF0001.JPG

DSCF0003.JPG

Last edited:

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually have a success story that is like this, when I was around 6 or 7 I was at a yard sale in new jersey with my parents (they got me started early, haha) and I found a beautiful old 60s/70s Tonka truck for $5. My parents were kind enough to buy it for me, and it soon became my favorite truck in the world. I played with it constantly until I was about 12, in mud, dirt, grass and snow. Then one winter day I left it in the driveway, it snowed overnight and buried the toy, and my dad backed over it with his truck going to work. I was crushed (and so was the truck). There was no reasonable way to get a replacement, this was in the early early days of ebay (when you would send a money order to the person) and we didn't have a computer. We checked online at the library but there were no comparable trucks for sale. I was bummed, but life goes on. Fast forward to a few years ago I was in a junk shop and I saw the same truck I had growing up, It was $50 and in perfect condition but I didn't bat an eye. I bought it, and now it resides next to the old crushed truck that I saved for all these years because I couldn't stand to throw it away. Good memories, good post idea!

il_570xN.524198351_4xr5.jpg

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Baltimore...I'd like to see a pic of your crushed truck. With a little skill and some time, it is pretty amazing how you can hammer steel back out.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I haven't found much from my childhood days at auctions or sales...but I might be stupid if I ever found some of those things, even though most of them are readily available on ebay.

A few things I'd like to have:

MPC Bf-109 model kit in 1/32 scale

Marx Battleground or D-Day play set. I never had these as a kid, but I wanted them badly, even though I think they were long out of production when I was a kid.

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Baltimore...I'd like to see a pic of your crushed truck. With a little skill and some time, it is pretty amazing how you can hammer steel back out.

It is currently at my parents house, but next time I go I'll get a picture of it. I remember it being pretty well demolished, but i'd love to have a second opinion.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread