Colombia River Arrowheads

dw171

Aug 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not quite a garage sale find, but... Got these at an auction Saturday along with some other awesome stuff I still haven't taken pictures of yet. All of these were found along the Columbia River in Washington, except for the case of pretty obsidian ones (they were recently made). It was an older guy selling them. He had found them with his dad and son when they traveled around the US. Just thought I'd share this. They look amazing in the display cases.

Attachments

• 2014-10-12 16.20.49.jpg
    2014-10-12 16.20.49.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 263
  • 2014-10-12 16.21.08.jpg
    2014-10-12 16.21.08.jpg
    1,021.4 KB · Views: 231
  • 2014-10-12 16.21.36.jpg
    2014-10-12 16.21.36.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 209
Last edited:

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some nice frames! Love the color. Great buy.

OP
OP
D

dw171

Aug 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No I haven't had anyone look at them yet, but I have no doubt of their authenticity.

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not an expert and I hope I am wrong but most of them are perfect. To accumulate that many perfect ones they must have found hundreds of pieces/partial ones.

I would get them looked at. Do you mind sharing what you paid for them?

OP
OP
D

dw171

Aug 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a few broken tips, but still most are great. There's going to be a massive Indian artifact auction on the 25th that I'll be going to. Hopefully the guy who certified them will be there. They were able to get a hold of the Indian artifact guy from Antique's Roadshow. The auction is going to have over 3,000 items, almost all pre-Columbian. So, if he's going to be there I'd just like to show them to him. I don't know if anybody from T-net lives in the Kansas City, MO area, but its going to be a fun auction. Anyway, for all 3 cases ended up paying only $260. The guy was kinda sad they went for so little, since that was 3 generations of his family's collection of them.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Talk about perfect points. There is a place here near Kingsland, Texas called Long's Fish and Dig. Fish on the Llano to the left, dig arrowheads on the right. Got taken there years ago by a friend. Place where you paid had case after case of perfect points. Dozens? Hundreds? I was stunned. So that many points that dw171 bought is easily understood. There are pay places here where finds are guaranteed with yes, perfect points. $260 stole those. They are beautiful dw. You dun good...

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I had work to do this morning but this thread made me go dig out this clovis I picked up at an antique store for $1, stuck in a box of commons. 2", not the largest in the world, but nice and thin. Fluted on one side. It is at 4:00 in the center circle of the frame.

(In the middle is an 2" pink translucent novaculite Agee, ceremonially killed and found in a cache (3 COAs, lol). Everything is from Arkansas except upper right, a "mataa" from Easter Island, basically a crude obsidian blade that was hafted onto a long shaft and used for fighting when that society was destructing and people were living in caves.)

photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG

Fritos56

Apr 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wowthat's a nice collection.I recall on the show American Pickers Frank Fritz bought some native american arrowheads,that they had appraised.Forgot how much they were worth.I once found an arrowhead when I was down in the bed of Cibolo Creek .Don't know what I did with it.When they built the Universal City golf course along Cibolo Creek,,, supposedly they found an indian burial or two.Howeverwhat happend to the remains or any artifacts I don't know.Guess they were turned over to the State of Texas.Not even sure what tribe was in the ara around San Antonio.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Columbia river points is my area of expertise. If you follow this link you will see several very easily identifiable types in your cases. Some of your examples are in the 4,000 year plus range, some are atlatl points (the larger ones) which are also in the 2,000 year plus range. Most the smaller ones are arrowheads and we call many of them "gem" points. You also have some drills and knives. At conservative EBAY prices and disregarding the new points you have a minimum of 1,500$ in those two frames... if you sold them one at a time. I can tell at a glance from your not-so-great photos that you have the real deal.

use the link below to identify the styles, names and ages of your points...i wish I was you...you have a couple of fun hours on the internet ahead of you.

http://www.pugetsoundknappers.com/i...d_Heath_Articles/Columbia_River_Artifacts.pdf

then check out this EBAY link for prices...some are pretty ridiculous but a lot of them are priced to sell.

columbia river | eBay

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread