Anything stand out at these upcoming auctions?

AwakenYouthful

Aug 31, 2014
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still have yet to go to an auction. This one tomorrow looks like a lot of subject I don't know much about. I know hummels can be valuable, possibly some of that old film equipment. There is just always so much to research, it is a bit daunting.

This is the one tomorrow... Items For Sale At Auction - Rook Gallery Auction in Tylersport, Pa

The other is next week on wednesday. AuctionZip.com - Live Auction Locator - Fast,Easy, and Free!

Anyone see anything worthwhile? Give me a heads up so I can research it going in.

The wednesday auction is sandwiched between rummage sales tuesday and thursday, so hopefully they will be much better than the one yesterday.

Hope you all are having a great weekend!

Dapman

Sep 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd pay attention to the two motion lamps and the head vases - some of that stuff can do very well!

bc8888

Greenie
Mar 21, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3rd to last row on auctionzip (Tomorrow's Auction)

Look up Stereomatic Projector on Ebay

OP
OP
AwakenYouthful

AwakenYouthful

Aug 31, 2014
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3rd to last row on auctionzip (Tomorrow's Auction)

Look up Stereomatic Projector on Ebay

Wow! They go for a lot! Ive got a nice collection of modern viewmasters i am soon to post in a large lot for selling. So were the stereomatics the original viewmasters? Will keep my eye on them at auction

Thanks guys. Checked out the head vases and motion lamps too. Good stuff to keep my eye on

meanpc

Jun 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last weekend I bought a sawyer viewmaster with about 75 disks (all geographic) from the 1940's and 50's all in a storage box for $20.

I bought a similar viewmaster lot a few weeks back for 10 bucks. I had a few discs that were in sets of three in envelopes. One of them was from Astroworld in Houston. Sold the three disc set for $45. The rest of them were older, but common.

OP
OP
AwakenYouthful

AwakenYouthful

Aug 31, 2014
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stuff was selling so cheap there. It is kind of overwhelming though and I ended up bidding on only one thing and didnt win it. Left before the finish because i had a headache. I dont know. Big tray of war memorabilia stuff, possible silver, all for $3. Didnt bid. Dont know why. I will bid on wednesday when i see something i know has value.

The motion lamps sold for $80 a piece which was outrageous. Seemed like some came just for those. The head vases sold pretty reasonable. I could have taken all of them for less than $10 a head. Im just not so comfortable putting out a lot of money since im new to all this and i don't know too much and my profits i do make arent very big.

Didnt stay for the stereomatics. There were two. Seemed in alright shape, but the one was missing cord and the other cord was worn through. I doubt they would have bid for over $10 a unit.

Big tray of belt buckles i didnt bid on either. A whole mess of various large and small ones. Sold for $3.

I will have better luck wednesday.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just read your post. I wish they would have had that auction down here. Everything goes for darn near retail around here. At least at the few I've been to. I would have been all over the Hazel Atlas pink elephant glassware (6th row 2nd from left). That stuff is very collectible. Not to mention the jadite pieces, the belt buckles and the military memorabilia.

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah, well you would have cleaned house. weren't many people and no one seemed terribly interested in 90% of the stuff. the bids were very low. I can't wait till wednesday so I can NOT just freeze up and actually bid and win on something valuable.

Public Auction Sale: Estate Auction - Richlandtown, PA

There is nothing wrong with being able to go to an auction and not bid or buy. That takes discipline. Channel that feeling later on, when the bidding gets rolling :)

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I've looked at thousands of auction bills in my life, and while I could be dead wrong, something about the Oct. 22 auction gives me a bad feeling.

In my estimation, it looks like a consignment auction that "features a Quakertown estate."

You can still make money buying from these sales, just watch out for the pigs in pokes. I do much better at true estate sales where everything is sold, from the plastic margarine tubs to the last thing left in the garage and barns.

OP
OP
AwakenYouthful

AwakenYouthful

Aug 31, 2014
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is nothing wrong with being able to go to an auction and not bid or buy. That takes discipline. Channel that feeling later on, when the bidding gets rolling :)

Thanks for the advice. It's just that I still have a hard time letting things go when I know I passed on good opportunities. This business is breaking that conditioning in me, because every week there is SOMETHING that I probably should have bought but didn't. Maybe a little too much discipline...not putting out the money when I actually should.

I've looked at thousands of auction bills in my life, and while I could be dead wrong, something about the Oct. 22 auction gives me a bad feeling.

In my estimation, it looks like a consignment auction that "features a Quakertown estate."

You can still make money buying from these sales, just watch out for the pigs in pokes. I do much better at true estate sales where everything is sold, from the plastic margarine tubs to the last thing left in the garage and barns.

Being new to this all, I'm not entirely sure what you mean. Would you explain more? I overheard some guys talking at the Sunday auction, and they were talking just like you are here. Saying this and that, auction people were trying this and that, and if you were new to auctions you could really get the blanket pulled over your head. Definitely not looking to go into anything shady business

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
You have to be able to discern the difference between an estate auction and a consignment sale that features an estate.

Generally speaking, the only pics that they have on the Oct. 22 sale are higher end antiques, which is a clue that this is a consignment auction, and not a true estate auction. And with a quick glance, the items don't 'match', if you will. Generally speaking, of course, and as always, collections at estate auctions will have lots of like items. If they were into Eastlake furniture, many estates will have 7-10 pieces of Eastlake with other pieces mixed in...this auction has a wide range of stuff...an none of it makes sense.

The big tip off will be whether the auction has different lot numbers. Listen for them to say stuff like "Lot 92, an Occupied Japan...." If they have multiple consignment sellers, they will have a wide variety of numbers, noting which consignor the item came from. A full estate sale will not have any changing lot numbers because the clerk already knows it goes to one single family.

The danger for you, as the buyer, is that this stuff may be difficult stuff for the sellers to sell. Almost all of it, from my very quick glance, was stuff that used to sell well and for lots of money, but now, the market is soft for this stuff, and they could be trying to pawn it off at auction as being "out of an estate."

I have also seen consignors attend the auction to run up the price. It doesn't happen every day, but it can happen.

Again, I could be wrong. I spent 2 minutes looking at the pics and the bill. I am shooting from the hip. Sometimes it doesn't matter where it comes from, if you can get a deal.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Also, none of the pics of the Oct 22 sale were taken in a house. All of those are studio pics, IIRC. That is another indication that the seller knows more about the stuff than you do.

OP
OP
AwakenYouthful

AwakenYouthful

Aug 31, 2014
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks a lot for the heads up Clovis. I really appreciate your 2cents. Never considered these things before.

meanpc

Jun 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is a really good point. A few weeks ago I spent about 3 hours garage saleing. I came back with nothing. That was a successful day, because I finally developed the discipline to not force myself to buy something just to buy something.

meanpc

Jun 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, none of the pics of the Oct 22 sale were taken in a house. All of those are studio pics, IIRC. That is another indication that the seller knows more about the stuff than you do.

Yep - we are looking to buy from people that either don't know or don't care what the true value of their stuff is. Great points in this thread!

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is something else about the Oct. 22 auction... The listing, down at the bottom, includes this statement: "Absentee bids accepted. All absentee bids must be secured with a credit card. Buyers are responsible for all shipping charges." In other words, the auction company will be taking internet bids. This means more bidders which almost always means higher prices. There does appear to be some interesting stuff but, if you are planning on selling what you buy, condition (as well as price) is critical. I have been to many auctions where you have to ask an attendant to go get a specific piece so you can look at it. This makes it difficult to carefully inspect a lot of pieces. I am always reluctant to bid on something I haven't seen up close. Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread