SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good morning all.

I like to surf Craigslist 'Wanted' ads for my area to see if anyone local is looking for an item I may have in my pile of estate sale finds that I have yet to list on Ebay. I found this ad a week or so ago that read "I am a diabetic and I want to purchase your unused One Touch Ultra, One Touch Ultra Blue, test strips. They must be in unopened packages of 50 or 100. They must be current, not expired. I pay more for those expiring one year from now, but will buy those expiring sooner. I pay up to $30 per box of 100" At the time, I didn't have any of these test strips on hand, because I had never thought to look for them at sales. I'm sure that I have missed many a box of these in my travels, because as we all know, many estates being sold off are the belongings of recently deceased persons who may have suffered from ailments such as diabetes.

Well, long story short, I picked up four 100-count boxes of the Ultra Blue test strips this Saturday morning for $2.00 (expired in February, unfortunately), listed them as a lot on Ebay, and they sold this morning for $95 BIN. Comparable listings on Ebay for unexpired 100-count boxes seem to bring a successful average sale price of around $75 per box. One recent sold listing for 1000 unexpired test strips sold for $755! If you view current listings, you'll see that most of the auction style listings have multiple bids.

Just one more thing to keep your eyes open for. It doesn't take long to pop into the bathroom at an estate sale and check the medicine cabinet or the vanity. Good luck and happy hunting!

Attachments

• one touch.jpg
    one touch.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's someone in my area that runs the same almost identical ad. I always keep an eye out for that type of stuff. I raked up on a $1 bag of hearing aid accessories once. I made several hundred off of it. Other things I've sold that made good money are diet supplements, wrinkle serum and vitamins. Baby formula is another one but I haven't found any of that yet.

OP
OP
SDIceMan

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's someone in my area that runs the same almost identical ad. I always keep an eye out for that type of stuff. I raked up on a $1 bag of hearing aid accessories once. I made several hundred off of it. Other things I've sold that made good money are diet supplements, wrinkle serum and vitamins. Baby formula is another one but I haven't found any of that yet.

Great suggestions! From my admittedly limited observations of the beginning of estate sales, it seems guys tend to go straight for the garage or the table of higher value smalls near the register, whereas women tend to gravitate towards the bedrooms or the jewelry table. Granted, there are bound to be great items in those areas, but I am starting to think that the master bathroom is where it's at for items that offer ease of shipping and a high profit margin. Also, many estate sale companies don't even bother pricing the contents of a medicine cabinet or vanity, with the exception of perfumes and electric grooming tools, so you can make a little pile and wheel and deal a bit at the register.

Another item to look for is Breathe Right Nasal Strips. I found three sealed boxes a while back and unloaded them on Ebay for around $30. You can get this kind of thing for next to nothing at these sales.
breathe.jpg

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Baby formula is another one but I haven't found any of that yet.

I've had a hard time selling formula.

I think that years ago, when the price shot up to the moon, that formula was an easy flip. Not so much these days, in my experience.

Coldshuz

May 18, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab X-Terra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a note of interest on the One Touch, about 4 months ago, my insurance company stopped supplementing payments on OneTouch items. I had a pretty good supply at the time, however, my Dr. prescribed another brand that the insurance company does cover.

This could be another reason you may see more of them, if the user has been switched due to insurance.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread