I enjoyed finding a gift card yesterday!!!!

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I went to a thrift yesterday, and found a gift card.

I really thought that it would have been a dead card, and thought nothing of it until this morning.

I called the 1-800 number on the back, and learned that it has $35 on it!!!!

Hello, JC Penny!!!!

FWIW, this isn't my best gift card find. I scored a Best Buy gift card in an auction box last year. I paid $20 for the box, not even knowing the gift card was in the bottom of it. The card had $100 on it. It was certainly nice to have when my computer printer died...that BB gift card paid for most of the new printer! BTW, we pieced out the stuff in the box for about $125, and with the $100 GC, it made it a $225 box.

I will make better money on some of the items that I bought at the thrift than I did on the JCP GC, but I enjoy fun blessings like this!

leadnbrass

Apr 2, 2005
Shenandoah Valley VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool...I went to a estate / yard sale this summer. Bought a shoe box full of assorted junk for $2. Inside was a stack (can't remember exact number) of gift cards wrapped in a rubber band. I bought the box for the pens (a couple Parker 51's) and never really thought about the cards. About a month ago I wen't through them and saw 5 or so Starbucks cards...the wife likes the place so I gave them to her and she called the number...5 $25 cards. One to Red Lobster $50 One to Olive Garden $50 and a couple others In the $10-$20 range. It appears that grandma got these for birthdays etc and never used 'em. I gave them to the kids.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most Found Gift cards probably have something on them.

I have experience using Gift cards , and all except one time,
The place kept the card after it was empty.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I went to a thrift yesterday, and found a gift card.

I really thought that it would have been a dead card, and thought nothing of it until this morning.

I called the 1-800 number on the back, and learned that it has $35 on it!!!!

Hello, JC Penny!!!!

FWIW, this isn't my best gift card find. I scored a Best Buy gift card in an auction box last year. I paid $20 for the box, not even knowing the gift card was in the bottom of it. The card had $100 on it. It was certainly nice to have when my computer printer died...that BB gift card paid for most of the new printer! BTW, we pieced out the stuff in the box for about $125, and with the $100 GC, it made it a $225 box.

I will make better money on some of the items that I bought at the thrift than I did on the JCP GC, but I enjoy fun blessings like this!

You said you found it in a thrift store? How did you acquire the card? Did they sell it to you?

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Ben,

It was in a blue bin at a thrift place that sells junk by the pound. Total cost to me, at .89 a pound, probably less than a penny!

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Cool...I went to a estate / yard sale this summer. Bought a shoe box full of assorted junk for $2. Inside was a stack (can't remember exact number) of gift cards wrapped in a rubber band. I bought the box for the pens (a couple Parker 51's) and never really thought about the cards. About a month ago I wen't through them and saw 5 or so Starbucks cards...the wife likes the place so I gave them to her and she called the number...5 $25 cards. One to Red Lobster $50 One to Olive Garden $50 and a couple others In the $10-$20 range. It appears that grandma got these for birthdays etc and never used 'em. I gave them to the kids.

Wow...that is awesome!!!!!!!! Good for you!!!!

I'd probably fall over with a find like that!

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never even thought to look for gift cards before. And then to bundle them with something else what a brilliant idea. I'm gonna start looking for them now I'm sure I've seen them too and just overlooked them thinking you would have a gift card with any money on it!! My father-in-law has probably 30 of them he's never used a single one so they're definitely out there obviously as you guys are finding them.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After my wife died, I found about a dozen walmart gift cards in her car. I was puzzled at first, but then I remembered she used them for gas. If you use their gift cards at Murphy's, you get a $.03 per gallon discount.

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Thank you for the replies.

I found another gift card last year, in the same box as the Best Buy GC. It was a $100 card to Borders, which went out of business. Seems that there was a class action law suit by those who still held GC from Borders, but the cardholders lost.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the replies.

I found another gift card last year, in the same box as the Best Buy GC. It was a $100 card to Borders, which went out of business. Seems that there was a class action law suit by those who still held GC from Borders, but the cardholders lost.

That has happened many times over the years. Companies that go bankrupt, but not out of business also do not have to honor gift cards. The unscrupulous *******s will still sell them even knowing bankruptcy is coming.

Grundestoun

Dec 16, 2010
Idaho
Detector(s) used
coinmaster 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some gift cards are also collectable. Especially starbucks gift cards. They can go for crazy prices on eBay and they are empty.

gilgar

Mar 18, 2009
A Little South of Heaven
Detector(s) used
Garrett Treasure Ace 300
I have found several gift cards with money on them but only on the ground, never at a thrift or garage sale. The best were a grocery store card with just over $100 (that was great because it gave a discount on gasoline) and a home depot card with around $85 as I recall. I even found a Border's gift card in the middle of the road once while walking around the neighborhood. It had $25 and I bought a book online.

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last year I was pumping gas , I looked down by my feet and there was a gift card to a local restaurant . Next weekend I took my girlfriend there - I had fried clams , she had Prime Rib , we both had a draft beer . I handed them the card - we owed another 5 dollars . I gave the waitress a $10.00 tip .

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never found a gift card but I did a couple years ago leave a restaurant and the manager or somebody must've dropped a booklet to the restaurant we were eating at. And it had $1600 worth of $50 coupons in it. My buddy and I ate there every week for a long time. It was good for drinks too but you can only use one per visit well worth the find!!

OldSowBreath

Mar 18, 2009
That has happened many times over the years. Companies that go bankrupt, but not out of business also do not have to honor gift cards. The unscrupulous *******s will still sell them even knowing bankruptcy is coming.

In law (and the Mafia), this is known as a "Bust-out".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread