High price tag items, cheap ones to cover, and need help with Nepalese, Tibetan Mark

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Everyone,

I went to two sales on Friday. At the first, I took a chance on two high price items. I paid 50% above melt for them after negotiating for a while and chatting with lady running the sale.

They are both from the estate of a former US diplomat to Nepal and Bangladesh. (Second time I've bought items from former diplomats in past few weeks) They were purchased sometime between 1930 and 1960. She will be sending me more details.

The first is a sterling silver, square and highly decorative box. The images on each side are unique. The last picture is the makers mark. Any idea on language or better yet meaning? It is asian but does not look Chinese.
IMG_9749.JPG

IMG_9752.JPG

IMG_9753.JPG

IMG_9754.JPG

IMG_9755.JPG

IMG_9762.JPG

The second is a heart shaped box. Higher than sterling. I cannot tell if the design in the second pic is a markers mark or just part of the design.

IMG_9767.JPG

IMG_9770.JPG

At the second sale, which I was late to I found the headphones and a super clean, 100% original 1986 Fiji "Club" bike. I am pretty sure selling them will pay of the lot. Thanks for looking and really appreciate any info on the boxes.

IMG_9736.JPG

IMG_9741.JPG

IMG_9778.JPG

Last edited:

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The language is most likely where the diplomat was stationed. Nepalese or Hindi. Very nice and I would have paid 50% over melt for them in a heartbeat.

OP
OP
S

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The language is most likely where the diplomat was stationed. Nepalese or Hindi. Very nice and I would have paid 50% over melt for them in a heartbeat.

Thanks for the affirmation. I was hesitant to buy but think I would have regretted it.

The Bowers & Wilkins headphones where thrown in with the bike. They are model P3. I'd never heard of the manufacturer and was surprised for what they sell for.

OP
OP
S

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you tested these sterling items?

They pass the "18K gold acid test". I have not tested with silver acid (the silver testing acid in my kit is bad). Also, in my opinion look, weight, and "feel" is also correct.

I bought these from a reputable, local estate dealer. I would not have paid what I did if they were from a yard sale or random estate sale. The owner is supposed to follow up with me. She had some unusual very nice silver pieces and she said she had more.

Just curious, do you see anything about the pieces that looks "off"?

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
They look a little off to me. Last year I picked up a few similar pieces that were slightly less ornate. They were produced around 1930-40 in China & purchased in Hong Kong by the husband of the deceased. All were marked sterling. I work with most of the estate sale owners locally. In general they are reputable & have a good broad base of knowledge. Unfortunately that doesn't mean they are knowledgeable about everything & I have seen pieces sold by them as sterling/gold that weren't. Having said that, it sounds like you know what you are looking at & you have the pieces in hand so I would assume they are ok.

OP
OP
S

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They look a little off to me. Last year I picked up a few similar pieces that were slightly less ornate. They were produced around 1930-40 in China & purchased in Hong Kong by the husband of the deceased. All were marked sterling. I work with most of the estate sale owners locally. In general they are reputable & have a good broad base of knowledge. Unfortunately that doesn't mean they are knowledgeable about everything & I have seen pieces sold by them as sterling/gold that weren't. Having said that, it sounds like you know what you are looking at & you have the pieces in hand so I would assume they are ok.

Yes, they definitely look off in the pics, but that is my photography. :) In person they look good. I also redid the acid test. They may be 800 silver or so, but they are definitely silver.

As for the estate companies, lots do not know what there doing, which is usually a good thing. This company is pretty knowledgeable and they said the items were verified by a 3rd party. Will update thread with details when I get them.

Assuming they are real (at least 800 silver) anyone have an idea on value? The larger one is just under 16oz. The smaller is 4.5oz.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two beautiful pieces of silver. Determining the correct value will be hard until more information can be found about these boxes. Possible prayer boxes?

OP
OP
S

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two beautiful pieces of silver. Determining the correct value will be hard until more information can be found about these boxes. Possible prayer boxes?

Thanks. The box maybe....the heart shaped one, I would say no. The heart seems like something made for western market. I'm thinking both are high end gift pieces from that time.

OP
OP
S

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone,

I took the boxes to 3 jewelry shops:

1) Tibetan Jewelry Shop
- guy immediately said they were from Nepal and around 1950 (This is inline with what the lady told me)
- he said the heart shaped one is probably 50-60% silver (Looks like the members who thought it looked off may be right. I still have not tested for purity.)
- the box one he said is probably sterling
- price he said: $1.25/g wholesale - $3/g retail

2) 2nd Tibetan Jewelry Shop
- lady said she did not know where they were from but said the temple on the heart shaped one was this place: Pashupatinath Temple
- she seemed like she really wanted them
- she wanted some other stuff I had and we could not come to an agreement there so I did not bring up the boxes

3) Middle Eastern Shop
- guys didn't know much about boxes (knew a lot about some other stuff I had)
- said boxes were molded and hand finished

Thanks for looking,
bill

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread