cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was on my route this morning and I saw a yard sale sign. I always try to follow signs while on my way to my next sale. My GPS always keeps me on track.

So, I saw the sign and made a right turn and about half a block down I stop and park. I get out of the car and the guy in the photo walks up to his sidewalk, flapping his arms and started yelling at me.
THIS IS NOT A YARD SALE, I AM CLEANING OUT MY GARAGE. I am about in the middle of the street and yell back something I wouldn't want my mother to hear and turn around.

I want to take a vote. Does this look like a yard sale or what? I wonder how many people stopped there before me?

Attachments

• sale-1.jpg
    sale-1.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 255

LukeTHr

Dec 13, 2005
kansas
Detector(s) used
whites xlt & tesoro tejon whites spectra v3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like he is cleaning out his garage to me. Your response to him shows a lack of class. The proper response would have been a quick apology and be on your way.

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have asked first before I got out of my car, I don't see any tables so I would have been cautious about just walking up. JMHO.

diverrick

Jan 18, 2011
Vacaville, CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Minelab Eureka gold
Primary Interest:
Other
I once rolled a semi container load of Oranges on Hwy 101 The crane came out and picked it all up and set it back on it's wheels on the side of the road. So while I was sitting on the side of the freeway waiting to get picked up by another truck that was coming down. The boss told me to take the boxes out and separate them in two piles one damaged, one not damaged. I had a tons of folks stopping to buy oranges from my "fruit stand" LOL probably could have sold the entire load.

I wonder if there was another garage sale near by that you missed or was this a ingenious joke on this guy.

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have asked first before I got out of my car, I don't see any tables so I would have been cautious about just walking up. JMHO.

Well down here in SoCA I see this kind of sale all the time. Just piles and boxes.

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like he is cleaning out his garage to me. Your response to him shows a lack of class. The proper response would have been a quick apology and be on your way.

You give back what you get. You didn't see the look on his face or the tone of his voice.

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder if there was another garage sale near by that you missed or was this a ingenious joke on this guy.

No, about another block down that street was the yard sale that set out that sign.
If I ever have to clean out my garage it will not be on a saturday morning. (unless I want to make some money)

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I was on my route this morning and I saw a yard sale sign. I always try to follow signs while on my way to my next sale. My GPS always keeps me on track.

So, I saw the sign and made a right turn and about half a block down I stop and park. I get out of the car and the guy in the photo walks up to his sidewalk, flapping his arms and started yelling at me.
THIS IS NOT A YARD SALE, I AM CLEANING OUT MY GARAGE. I am about in the middle of the street and yell back something I wouldn't want my mother to hear and turn around.

I want to take a vote. Does this look like a yard sale or what? I wonder how many people stopped there before me?

You said something offensive to him? Wasn't it YOUR mistake? He was on HIS property cleaning out HIS garage. He doesn't have to answer to you or anyone...

Yikes...

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL maybe he was P.O'd he was ordered by his old lady
to Clean the garage out :laughing7:

maybe he should have put a NO SALE HERE sign out.

I believe I've come close to a few Non Yard/Garage sales a few times.
there are places around here that look like Multi family sales

24/7 365 days a year :laughing7: but no signs

Last edited:

themarkd

Nov 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
White's Prism V 950
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You said something offensive to him? Wasn't it YOUR mistake? He was on HIS property cleaning out HIS garage. He doesn't have to answer to you or anyone... Yikes...
Yes. This. ^^^^^

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, I was just posting something funny that happened to me and I get chastized?

I was walking toward his driveway, in the middle of the street.

If I had heard "I am cleaning out my garage" I would have said sorry and left. You never would have even heard about that.
but no, I post something about someone with anger issue problems and I am made out to be the bad guy?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, I was just posting something funny that happened to me and I get chastized?

I was walking toward his driveway, in the middle of the street.

If I had heard "I am cleaning out my garage" I would have said sorry and left. You never would have even heard about that.
but no, I post something about someone with anger issue problems and I am made out to be the bad guy?
It's happen to me several times Dan on streets with multiple garage sells.

Just ignore anyone who appears to be chastising in your opinion....

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
maybe he should have put a NO SALE HERE sign out.

Actually he did. See the corrugated box, on the curb, right next to his street address?

he wrote in pencil "this is not a sale"
did not even notice it until after I was so warmly welcomed.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually he did. See the corrugated box, on the curb, right next to his street address?

he wrote in pencil "this is not a sale"
did not even notice it until after I was so warmly welcomed.

LOL I wondered about that Box Earlier because it was on the Grass Curb :laughing7:

My guess you weren't the first that day to miss the sign by a long shot,
and the real reason he was rude

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
your title is when is a yard sale not a yard sale ? When there is no sign on the front lawn and the guy asks you to leave. Why do you think people are obligated to sell you THEIR stuff just because it's outside their garage ? You were rude to the guy. He was probably sick and tired of people stopping and bothering him by the time you showed up on HIS property.

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
your title is when is a yard sale not a yard sale ? When there is no sign on the front lawn and the guy asks you to leave. Why do you think people are obligated to sell you THEIR stuff just because it's outside their garage ? You were rude to the guy. He was probably sick and tired of people stopping and bothering him by the time you showed up on HIS property.

WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM?
Did you even read my first post?
There was a sign on the corner. I don't know about where you are from, but out here I rarely see a sign at the location saying THIS IS A YARD SALE if signs were put up earlier to give directions.
and where did I say on was on his property. I said half way across the street. Out here that is city property.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM?
Did you even read my first post?
There was a sign on the corner. I don't know about where you are from, but out here I rarely see a sign at the location saying THIS IS A YARD SALE if signs were put up earlier to give directions.
and where did I say on was on his property. I said half way across the street. Out here that is city property.
You asked for opinions. My apologies. Next time please be clear that you only want opinions that agree with your own. You're in So Cal.. I'm in rural Tennessee. ALOT of people here have junk piled up all over the yard, on the porch, etc. If you stop and start poking through their stuff they will shoot you.. Whether there's someone elses yard sale sign down the road or not.. Have a good day

Last edited:

tamaco

Oct 16, 2013
southwest
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe you should have said, "I can help you clean that out REAL fast. How much?" hehe. It does look like someone getting ready for a yard sale. When I clean my rooms, I move it from one side to the other. Not for all the world to see :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread