Jewelry Stamp "Tax" and "Taxco" Question

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
I bought a lot of silver jewelry today (along with a lot of gold), and some of it is stamped Tax, and some of it is stamped Taxco. It's all Mexican stuff. Are these the same company? Because I know Taxco is a pretty good brand. I just don't want to misrepresent the items stamped Tax if they aren't Taxco products. Ill get some pictures of the lot up in the next few days. I paid almost 2000 for it all.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Taxco is a Mexican City in the Northern Mountains. It has been a big silver producer since the 1700s. It still has a lot of cobblestone streets. A LOT of silver from Mexico comes from Taxco.

Mike

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are pieces that were marked this way. However there are usually other marks to go along with it. Could you provide a photo or two? I have also seen pieces that were marked in such a way that the "co" was cut off or the entire stamp was too big and the stamp wasn't 100% fully intact. And yes, Taxco is not a company, it is a city in Mexico that has produced quality silver items for many years. Here is a nice little read on the history of silver in Taxco Mexico- The History of Silver in Taxco Mexico

For someone that buys and sells gold and jewelry, I would have thought that was a no brainer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread