garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

leadnbrass

Apr 2, 2005
Shenandoah Valley VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have any in the area I live but do go to a few when I went up to New York.

Wasn't overly impressed with the few times I went, though I'm sure if you wen't enough you'd find some great things.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
Enough people here find good stuff, it's hard to say. If you find good stuff, do you usually find it at the National Chains or do you find it at the local mom and pop thrift stores?

For me, I only have Good Will and Salvation Army locally, and they are usually WAY overpriced.

Lost&Found

Jul 27, 2013
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've consistently found things at Unique. Something's are overpriced while others are underpriced.

OP
OP
theekman

theekman

Jan 1, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a goodwill and savers both equal distances from me and goodwill produces good finds a heck of a lot more, and for the most part is more reasonably priced. I dont go to salvation army to much, the only one close closed down or moved few years ago. But id rather go to salvation army then savers.

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
If I actually wanted something for the household, or clothing for myself, I'd choose Saver's over Goodwill any day. The local Goodwill sorts pant as Men's, womens, childrens. After that you gotta read the label on every stinking pair you think might fit, from one end of the rack to the other.
At Saver's I can walk right up to the clothing in my size.
But for treasure hunting, Goodwill's misc. piles of crap everywhere is my happy hunting ground.

tamaco

Oct 16, 2013
southwest
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i like savers for toys, not much else :O in my town, all the chain thrift stores are soooo much $$$$. the ma and pa ones are cheaper, but they are starting to go nutso too. recently, i was in one. they had an unmarked costume junk bracelet for $15. the guy told me i should buy it, i told him it would be cheaper new :O

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been to a couple savers, definitely overpriced but there are still treasures to be had. They usually have a lot of clothing which is what I know the most about, so savers is probably more useful to me then it is to a lot of other people. Its the kind of place where you will find a coat from walmart and a Barbour coat both priced too high for a thrift store, say $25 or so, but if you know what you're looking for you'll scoop the Barbour and flip it for $250. Definitely a lot of weeding through stuff to find the gems though, not for the easily bored or quickly discouraged.

OP
OP
theekman

theekman

Jan 1, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been to a couple savers, definitely overpriced but there are still treasures to be had. They usually have a lot of clothing which is what I know the most about, so savers is probably more useful to me then it is to a lot of other people. Its the kind of place where you will find a coat from walmart and a Barbour coat both priced too high for a thrift store, say $25 or so, but if you know what you're looking for you'll scoop the Barbour and flip it for $250. Definitely a lot of weeding through stuff to find the gems though, not for the easily bored or quickly discouraged.

I wish i knew more about random treasures like this. The ones a lot less people know about. I wouldnt think to look at coats or clothes for a flip

Kendahlj

Tenderfoot
Oct 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have two Savers in my area and they have both been great. Not sure about jewelry...I think they have knowledgeable people working behind the counter. I think their prices are a little on the high side, but it's easy to get 20% off. If you're not looking for the same stuff all the other pickers are looking for, it's easy to find treasures or even the nickel and dime items that keep you going until you find the bigger scores. I rarely leave Savers without finding something I'll flip for triple profit.

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008
When i lived near a savers i always checked out the 1.00 bagged stuff on the wall. Among other things found a haida totem pole,bacaarat paper weight,ti calculators, valuable pens and im kids section kidrobot designer vinyl figures.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread