Cant shake the bad feeling

AwakenYouthful

Aug 31, 2014
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't shake the bad feeling

My gut intuition is really spiking up and I cannot fully understand why. I am looking for some encouragement maybe, some soothing thoughts.

I still have yet to encounter a negative selling experience with ebay. I have sold maybe 50 things in total and I am just waiting for my first bad buyer.

I picked up a canon digital camera from the thrift store last week for $15 and sold it this morning for $90. Felt good, shipped it with insurance, easy money. But my buyer was a "0" feedback. I am sure i have dealt with 0 feed backers in the past and had no issues, but on this one my gut is tellin me something different.

Im thinking I should have done sig confirmation in addition to insurance. I dont know why I am concerned, just a strange spike of freating.

Buyer paid right away and everything was smooth. Shipped to an eastern sounding name living next to me in maryland.

You guys encounter bad experiences often with 0 feedback buyers? Antone ever get s bad feeling about some transactions? Just curious.

bdsawyer

Feb 25, 2014
North Dakota
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have sold many things on eBay, and rarely have any issues with zero feedback bidders. Usually they create the account to buy your item because they need it for something soon or just really want that antique or collectible item.

There will be occasional issues, but 99 percent of the time buyers are nice, regular people. I sell antiques and early pre 1900 items, so most are collectors and generally a good group of people to sell to. Had many zero percenters email me and thank me profusely for that item they have been looking for.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
My feedback is near 900 and I've been messing around on Ebay since 1999. If I had a buyer with 0 feedback I would have at least sent it signature required and probably insured as well. Nothing against the guy since everyone is new once but it would make me sleep better knowing my bases were covered.

billn1956

Jan 2, 2010
With most people I have noticed it is not the feed back they have that matters. It is how there day has been,and what mood they are in. Had 1 once that dinged me bad, come to find out he recieved 2 packages that day and sent the wrong feed back to the wrong one. I called him not knowing what was wrong and found out what he had done ,he could not appolagize enough to make himself feel better.I was just happy to get it stright and come to find out he had just had a very bad day and it was some thing he could rant about and boy did he. He has since been a repeat buyer and I am glad I did not block him.

Eagle101

Jul 22, 2012
New England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Gold,
Garrett AT Pro. Makro racer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have sold over 2000 items on ebay. I think the ratio of 99% is dead on. Don't ever hesitate to call ebay if you have a problem with a buyer they are there to help. I used to have the same worries you are experiencing. Just relax everything will be ok!!!

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I get that worrisome feeling too about buyers, from time to time.

I have over 5600 feedback, and generally speaking, I have never really had any issues with zero feedback buyers. For the most part, the worst buyers are those who have 7 to 27 feedback. I have had seemingly hundreds of buyers with zero fb and never had a problem.

Try not to waste time worrying about these transactions until they actually happen. I have worried myself sick over a few transactions, including a $350 item that sold to an international buyer with zero fb. I was for sure that dude was going to scam me...and it worked out perfect. But, in the meantime, a woman in MI with 7 fb just about drove me insane over a $20 item that really was a scam job. She wanted a full refund and keep the item too. She not only demanded a refund, but wanted me to send her a business check or cash, not thru paypal, like she had paid.

OP
OP
AwakenYouthful

AwakenYouthful

Aug 31, 2014
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks a lot guys for the helpful words. I do feel better this morning. Sometimes when I am tired late at night my mind starts going and I get deep in what ifs and stir up anxiety.

I'm sure if will be fine. If not, I will deal with it when and if it happens. Being new to the business, sometimes I need to face some beginner fears.

Have a great day everyone!

Kendahlj

Tenderfoot
Oct 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get nervous everytime I send something out. Never really breathe easy until I see that positive feedback. I try not to think about it. The main problem I've had with zero feedback buyers is non-payment, but you've already been paid. I was on a pretty great streak lately of no problems until I got a return yesterday.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hell, I've been burned by people with 200+ feedbacks. What sucks about just starting an account on Ebay, is noone wants to sell to you. I dont sell anymore because of Ebay, not the people. But not long ago, i created an account to buy Silver when it got low, and I think out of the 10 things I tried to bid on, only a couple would accpet a bid from someone with 0 feedback

Eagle101

Jul 22, 2012
New England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Gold,
Garrett AT Pro. Makro racer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The way to avoid non-payment is to list buy it now. Then go to preferences and check off require immediate payment. You can't do this on auction style listings.

Non-paying buyers is the reason I list 99% of my auctions buy it now. If I don't know about an item or have a hunch it's worth a lot I list auction style.

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
If you sell stuff long enough you will eventually run into a problem buyer but I wouldn't fret about it. I do my best to avoid problems by disclosing flaws, taking good photos, and protecting myself with insurance and, when appropriate, signature confirmation but the rare PITA customer (I've only had a few) I consider just one of the costs of doing business. Best of luck to you.

OP
OP
AwakenYouthful

AwakenYouthful

Aug 31, 2014
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, my intuition wasnt totally ungrounded. Just issued my first refund on ebay. Full refund. $45 profit turns to a $6 loss. But oh well, it is to be expected. Nothing I could have done about this one to prevent it. Defective old unopened ink cartridge :/

gilgar

Mar 18, 2009
A Little South of Heaven
Detector(s) used
Garrett Treasure Ace 300
Hell, I've been burned by people with 200+ feedbacks. What sucks about just starting an account on Ebay, is noone wants to sell to you. I dont sell anymore because of Ebay, not the people. But not long ago, i created an account to buy Silver when it got low, and I think out of the 10 things I tried to bid on, only a couple would accpet a bid from someone with 0 feedback

did you try emailing any of them? Some of these folks will accept a 0 feedback bidder if you email them first telling them you want to bid on their item. I often do this on foreign ebay accounts that say they don't ship out of their country and have found that most will change it to allow my bid.

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had one bad buyer out of maybe 500. But I probably get 1 item returned out of 100.

The trick with a return is keep it from turning into bad feedback. I will often refund the money immediately after the buyer contacts me without waiting for the item to be returned. It is a courtesy for them to contact me instead of opening a case, and so I reciprocate.

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My 3rd buyer ever was a bad buyer, opened a case on me before contacting me, yelling at me via message, the works. Stressed me right out and I almost stopped selling. It all got figured out eventually, case was settled in my favor, and have only had a few bad experiences since. You wouldn't believe some of the sales that I've had that somehow worked out though. I once sent a box full of $150 worth of vintage milk glass mugs to a guy in japan with 0 feedback, apparently nothing broke because I never heard from him again! Possibly the craziest was sending a 30 lb box of hats to somewhere in the middle of Africa. The guy had 7 feedback and paid $150 shipping for a $75 box of hats! I eventually got great feedback from him, just goes to show that most things work out.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I had one buyer about 400 miles away buy two things from me a week from Christmas (she had about 250 positive feedback and I had about 100) and she bought a little toy car and a super cheap glass necklace that totalled to about 5 dollars plus shipping (the car was more expensive than the necklace).

The day before Christmas, I get a page long letter from the buyer going on and on about how carelessly and poorly I packed the necklace and how it broke, and what a terrible seller I was and how I just ruined her daughter's friend's Christmas present and what was she supposed to tell her and all this kind of stuff, like it's my fault the post office was rough with a well packed package. I issued a partial refund (refunded the necklace only) and said sorry she was unhappy and promptly blocked her.

I sure would hate to be getting a $2 glass necklace from someone for Christmas and that being all I got though.

I've shipped to plenty of 0 and under 50 feedback buyers and never had a problem with it though, that has just been my one bad experience.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, my intuition wasnt totally ungrounded. Just issued my first refund on ebay. Full refund. $45 profit turns to a $6 loss. But oh well, it is to be expected. Nothing I could have done about this one to prevent it. Defective old unopened ink cartridge :/
Sure they didn't scam you?

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Has anybody ever told you that your education will not be free? I'm not trying to be rude but you ended up paying six dollars to learn something valuable. Take from that what you will but it's all part of ebay. No matter what you do, there will always be someone out there looking to pull one over on you.

I remember my first dishonest buyer. They wanted a refund because a pair of True Religon pants I sold were supposedly dingy, even though they were brand new. She graciously asked for a 50% refund and still wanted to keep the pants. Ebay bounced her butt outta town for that one.

As,for the defective printer cartridge, it happens. I've had items manufactured last month fail out of the box so it's not surprising that you had a defective item.

This is where your customer service kicks in. Do what you can to accommodate them but there will always be the ones that a huge pains in the butt from the second they click buy. At least your loss was only 6. My old boss lost out on a few thousand for a Rolex he sold

OP
OP
AwakenYouthful

AwakenYouthful

Aug 31, 2014
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure they didn't scam you?

It's possible, but really doesn't even matter to me if they did. In the end, whether he was being honest or not about the defective status of the cartridge, I would have done the same thing - refund in full his money. When I started doing this I decided I am not going to mess around with customers and will almost always ask no questions and just take their word and refund what they want. The money I spend on this stuff is so low usually that it just isn't even worth the risk of getting negative feedback. Especially now, at this time, because I am just starting out and do not even have 30 feedback yet. So a negative would pretty much stop my ebay days dead in tracks immediately if that happened.

I think there is way too much emphasis on seller feedback on ebay, but until that changes, I will generally just refund no questions and not risk anything. I am also just like that, Generally believing people are honest and good hearted, and I know if I get something faulty I dot want a hard ass on the other end trying to persuade me out of refund.

It was nice, after apologizing to the man about te cartridge and refunding him within minutes and adding some last helpful words, he responds back and the last thing he says is "I will give you positive feedback when feedback is given", and he thanked me sincerely. And it is nice to see that and know in the end we helped each other out.

OP
OP
AwakenYouthful

AwakenYouthful

Aug 31, 2014
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of course, the higher the selling price and bought price for reselling of an item, the harder it is to keep the hands off no questions asked mentality. Lol :p

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions