Thrift Store Art

DomAdd

May 26, 2014
St. Louis, Mo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not really a find, but a question. What am I missing here. At every thrift store I visit, ALL of the artwork (paintings, etchings, drawings, etc) that has any paper backing on it is always tore to shreds. Is it that every piece of art is mishandled before being put on to the floor ( I doubt it), or is there something that everyone looks for that requires folks to be destructive and rip the paper off the back of the artwork? I wouldn't be asking this question if it were just a few items here and there, but I don't think I have ever seen an intact paper on the back of a painting at a thrift store and I've looked at tons of them. Wondering if this is common to also do at garage sales and is acceptable...... I need all the help I can get when it comes to new tips and tricks lol.

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say they were all looking for the elusive gold bar/stack of cash behind the picture.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes people will destroy things of others if they think they might find something of value … They could care less about other peoples property ..

colorado14ers

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2010
Naples, Fl
Detector(s) used
whites M6, Surfmaster PI
if its at a thrift shop, its not technically anyones property (other than the store) however, at a garage sale it is still their property and if you did tear apart the back without buying it they might have a bit of an issue :skullflag:

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
It is a VERY irritating thing that folks do. I watched a guy grab four prints off the walls, put them in his cart, go to the furniture section, look through his smartphone for info, proceed to tear off the paper on the back of each one…and then on my third trip past him(as I was grabbing the less obvious treasures in the store) saw him place all of the painting on the floor in the furniture section and leave. I have no problem with folks grabbing thing to look up online(I have done this discreetly when I was unsure of an item) but to damage an item you don't own is unacceptable. But then, I grew up in the 70s and 80s when stores had signs posted "If You Break It, You Bought It!".

keith2004

Jun 16, 2012
alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
paper backing says -modern mass produced junk- to me.maybe thier tearing it open to see what size staples the machine used to mount the print?

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't even think its so much about looking at the painting. If you don't have a good idea from the front of the painting your probably not going to be doing appraisals on the roadshow anytime soon. I think its one of those rumors that people hide cash behind paintings. That has gotten out of control.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe they are looking for an original copy of the Declaration of Independence! Or maybe they saw that episode of Auction Hunters where they found cash in the back of a picture. lol :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread