Libby, McNeil & Libby collapsible cup.

mykee1966

Greenie
Jun 11, 2009
I found this in a box lot of tools I bought for $5 at an auction, I hope its ok to post here. I'm trying to find out how old it is & if it might have any value. The cup & leather case are in great shape & it measures around 3" when extended out. From what I could find out Henry Hardy was treasurer in the very early 1900's so I am assuming it is from that era. As I said I was buying for the tools & I don't have much knowledge on these type of items. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tracy

Attachments

• camera 012.jpg
    camera 012.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 143
  • camera 013.jpg
    camera 013.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 132
  • camera 010.jpg
    camera 010.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 120

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right place. Closest thing I could find to it here <http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vtg-collapsible-officers-stainless-459487269>

It sold for $29. I have no idea if Henry Hardy adds value. I don't know how much value Henry Hardy adds.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome. Is there a hallmark in between the handles of the cup? One that looks like this-

il_fullxfull.218101683.jpg

If so it was produced by C.F. Rumpp & Sons. Carl Frederich Rumpp founded C.F. Rumpp & Sons in Philadelphia in 1850.
Known for their fine leather goods. Many travel cases they produced are fitted with silver mountings. The company was listed as C F RUMPP, pocketbooks 116 & 118 N 4th in the 1889 Philadelphia Business Directory, and in the 1891 Directory it was listed as C F RUMPP & SONS pocketbooks 116 & 118 N 4th.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mykee1966

Greenie
Jun 11, 2009
Thanks dumpsterdiver I didn't think Henry Hardy would add value but maybe to help date it. Google book result shows him as assistant treasurer in 1908 & treasurer as late as 1919 from what I can find. I would think something with a company name would add a little more value then the one on worthpoint but you never know. Thanks again for the help.

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
This post brings back some fond memories for me. Although, they are totally off subject but for one thing, a collaspsible cup. My grandparents on my mother's side were typical Maine Yankees. They were farmers, it was a waste not, want not world. They saved 10% of what money they did make and lived happily together. Honestly, they neither one ever complained and they got along very well. Being Yankees, their idea of a daytrip was whatever could be done for free or nearly free, like bottle digging, fishing, rockhounding, to see a covered bridge, or a waterfall, that sort of thing that so few take kids to do today. And you didn't buy Italian sandwiches while there, Gram would pack a lunch, deviled ham sandwiches or last night's dinner meat, now between bread slices, you get the idea. When my sister, who was nearly 5 yrs younger than I was started going on these day trips with us, in the farm truck, nicknamed "Rackety Boom", from a story book I had as a kid, we would always fight over who got to drink out of the single, plastic collaspsible cup. Because I was older it had always been mine until she was old enough to come along too. I hated to give up the right to drink spring water or kool-aid out of that cup that was so cool cuz it would pop up and make a cup. My sister and I, who couldn't agree on anything, finally, in the end, agreed we would share that cup at all the picnics in the woods, near the waterfalls and covered bridges we were taken to see. That plastic collapsible cup, was probably the first time and thing, my sister and I ever agreed to or on anything in our lives. Thanks for the reminder of those memories, Mykee1966. I am going to have to see if my sister wants to share a cup of Kool-aid sometime soon.

T.

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool one mykee !

although I really have no reason to use it,