strangest thing youve Done at a sale?

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like these fun threats they never seem to last too long but we've all been somewhere that we've had to do something way out of normal!
So what is yours?

I wish I had taken a picture of it but a lady today was asking another lady how to get a snake off on her porch. It was screened in and somehow got underneath the door and was trapped and she wanted to get it out! I overheard her and told her I would take it out for her! She told me it was poisonous probably a rattlesnake she didn't want me to get hurt.... I walked out back and looked at it and it was like a 4 foot long black racer... I pick him up and took him outside to the neighbors yard with all these trees and I tossed it up in the tree is high as I could get it! I'm sure you don't come down eventually but never did critter control our yard sale hunt before...

I asked her afterwords if she had any jewelry but she said no! I did end up getting a free a TI 83+ calculator though!!!

meanpc

Jun 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'be got a snake story too. Went to pickup some furniture from a craigslist ad. It was a graduating college student and his girlfriend.

After I loaded the furniture up, I asked him if he had anything else. Said he had a snake. I don't like snakes, but my daughter has been begging for one.

I held the snake for awhile, and decided it was actually pretty friendly. 3 foot long ball python. Came with the works - huge terrarium, locking lid, lights. Solid wood stand, the works.

If the guy would have said 50 dollars I could have walked away. But he said 15, so I came home with a snake starter kit. +100 dad of the year points, -10000 husband of the year points. :)

This has been 3 months ago. Awesome pet that loves my daughter. Mealtime is interesting too. Once every two weeks, and Ekans doesn't eat the frozen rats. :)

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'be got a snake story too. Went to pickup some furniture from a craigslist ad. It was a graduating college student and his girlfriend. After I loaded the furniture up, I asked him if he had anything else. Said he had a snake. I don't like snakes, but my daughter has been begging for one. I held the snake for awhile, and decided it was actually pretty friendly. 3 foot long ball python. Came with the works - huge terrarium, locking lid, lights. Solid wood stand, the works. If the guy would have said 50 dollars I could have walked away. But he said 15, so I came home with a snake starter kit. +100 dad of the year points, -10000 husband of the year points. :) This has been 3 months ago. Awesome pet that loves my daughter. Mealtime is interesting too. Once every two weeks, and Ekans doesn't eat the frozen rats. :)

That's pretty cool. I would've bought it too but when it grows up to be as big as you... don't let it go in the Everglades. They frown on that!

I brought home a turtle one time thinking It would get it out of the aquarium and live in the pond behind my house. It is a little smaller than a half-dollar. I threw water and is soon as I did a bass swam over and ate it! I felt pretty bad for a while....

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
Ball pythons don't get a whole lot bigger than 3'. Females average 3-5' & males average 2-3'.

meanpc

Jun 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ekans is about 3.5' now. Not worried about what he can do to humans, but I wonder how he would do against a cat. He's so chill and friendly, but on feeding day you are reminded of what they are capable of. Below video not for the squeamish - video of his first kill after we got him.

Ball Python kills small rat - YouTube

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was at a sale in north west nj. They had a rifle which I was told was not a real gun. I picked it up and was playing around with it (stupid, I know). Well I pointed it at a window, pulled the trigger and to my horror it fired off. Fortunately the bullet went in the frame above the window and didn't break it. It was louder than you can possibly imagine. I didn't stop shaking for probably a half hour. An ex cop at the sale gave me a very thorough talking to about having to assume all guns are real and loaded.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't caused any scenes lately myself but had a front row seat to a comedy scene/sale last weekend. I watched a very unassuming looking 70 something, gray haired, little old lady walk away from a yard sale last weekend with a clothes iron in her hand without paying for it. The lady having the sale happened to notice it too, so she hollered at her several times as she nonchalantly walked away as if she didn't hear her. "Excuse me ma'am, ma'am excuse me!" There were several people hollering now as there were sales at 3 houses in a row and lots of people around. The little old lady ignored her and everyone else (la de da, de da, I got me an iron for free!, lol). Now mind you, the lady having the sale was a biggun weighing in at 280-300 lbs and about 5'10"- 6'. Well you should have seen her take off running after that little old lady, you'd of thought she was an NFL wide receiver, she ran the 40 in like 4.28 seconds flat, lol. By now the little old lady is in her car across the street, and the big lady is at her window hollering, demanding her iron back. The old lady puts the car in drive and punches it but she somehow ends up in the neighbors driveway 25 feet away with no way out except reverse. It was like she floored it and turned the wheel at the same time. Now the big lady races back over to her and started reaching in her car to get her keys out of the ignition to keep her from leaving. The old lady tried throwing the lady a $5 bill but she threw it back in the window at her, at the same time the big lady reached in over top the old lady with her feet kicking in the air and grabbed her iron back out of the passenger seat. Then the little old lady called her a fat a%# b$&*h!, put it in reverse and sped off outta there. It was one of the funniest things I've seen in a while. You had to be there to appreciate it. Friggin hilarious it was.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't caused any scenes lately myself but had a front row seat to a comedy scene/sale last weekend. I watched a very unassuming looking 70 something, gray haired, little old lady walk away from a yard sale last weekend with a clothes iron in her hand without paying for it. The lady having the sale happened to notice it too, so she hollered at her several times as she nonchalantly walked away as if she didn't hear her. "Excuse me ma'am, ma'am excuse me!" There were several people hollering now as there were sales at 3 houses in a row and lots of people around. The little old lady ignored her and everyone else (la de da, de da, I got me an iron for free!, lol). Now mind you, the lady having the sale was a biggun weighing in at 280-300 lbs and about 5'10"- 6'. Well you should have seen her take off running after that little old lady, you'd of thought she was an NFL wide receiver, she ran the 40 in like 4.28 seconds flat, lol. By now the little old lady is in her car across the street, and the big lady is at her window hollering, demanding her iron back. The old lady puts the car in drive and punches it but she somehow ends up in the neighbors driveway 25 feet away with no way out except reverse. It was like she floored it and turned the wheel at the same time. Now the big lady races back over to her and started reaching in her car to get her keys out of the ignition to keep her from leaving. The old lady tried throwing the lady a $5 bill but she threw it back in the window at her, at the same time the big lady reached in over top the old lady with her feet kicking in the air and grabbed her iron back out of the passenger seat. Then the little old lady called her a fat a%# b$&*h!, put it in reverse and sped off outta there. It was one of the funniest things I've seen in a while. You had to be there to appreciate it. Friggin hilarious it was.

That sounds pretty funny!!!! but you could've topped it off if you walked over and asked her how much she wanted for the iron!! And say I thought it was in the free pile...

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a yard sale, but I was once at a thrift store when they caught a woman trying to shoplift a huge amount of stuff by stuffing it in her shirt and pretending to be pregnant. It was exactly as ridiculous as it sounds. Also I've been at several thrift stores and seen physical fights break out, fists flying, hair pulling, glass breaking, etc. Good ol' Baltimore!

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like to stare at Haitians... it creeps them out, especially if you follow them all morning from sale to sale.

war-digs-it

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Snake!!! I closed down an entire sale once as I picked through a once flooded basement stacked with boxes...Rat droppings poured off of each swollen box as I pulled them down from their unruly stacks. Gross! As I got a few feet deep into the abyss...rattat-tattll-attll-atattle-attt-tttlatt-ta-la-llattl....RATTLESNAKE!!!! Pulled some great finds before that game wasn't worth it. This is North Georgia and the poisonous snakes don't bother us usually. Not knowing which box lifted would uncover the snake was too much for even the most hardened redneck. Lots of fun!

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like to stare at Haitians... it creeps them out, especially if you follow them all morning from sale to sale.

When I get behind them in the car headed to one i start to get anxiety. WHY must we drive 8 mph to the house! As slow as possible we go down the road... This is where road rage comes from!

meanpc

Jun 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kills me when I see people that are using a newspaper and paper maps to navigate around to sales. They drive slow, tap their brakes a lot, etc.

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good thread:
- No way to say no to the snake/setup...lol. Cool that your daughter likes snakes.
- I was next to a accidental firearm discharge one time....I hear what you are saying. It scarred the hell out of me.
- Old lady with the iron made me laugh out loud...b-line for the car

I'm sure this is not a record...lol, but I once stayed at a yard sale for 2 hrs. I was the first one there and waited like 20-30min for them to set up. They were chatty and cool and it was a group yard sale. New people were coming every 30 min or so. By the end I was friends with most of them there.

I bought a really nice set of dishes for very cheap, a decent amount of sterling jewelry, and a 14K chain and pendant.

I had told my lady, I was only going to one sale that morning. She still does not believe I was at one sale that long. I think the thought of it embarrasses her...:)

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too got a brand new TI 83 Plus for 5$ at a yard sale. Earlier this year I opened a round coffee can sized cant at an estate sale of a retired Colonel and found a live HEX Hi Explosive Grenade. It was one of the Yellow ones before they re dipped them green so they would only have the yellow line. I let the police deal with it. Since then I bought a pocket video camera and now always take that with me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread