silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone,

I'v tend to get a lot of pieces with Mexican silver hallmarks and saw this book online: The Little Book of Mexican Silver Trade and Hallmarks

Google Books has about 25% of the book scanned and it looks great. Is anyone familiar with this book? Recommend it? It's not a cheap book, but I think the info in it will pay for itself a few times over.

thx,
bill

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have it and I use it. It has helped many times and is my go to book for Mexican silver. I just noticed he has a new (2013) edition out. I may have to upgrade. Here are a couple 2nd editions (like mine) that you may be able to snag for less than retail- The Little Book of Mexican Silver Trade Hallmarks Sterling Mexico by Hougart | eBay and The Little Book of Mexican Silver Trade and Hallmarks Hecho En Mexico By 0971120218 | eBay $30 for the 3rd edition isn't all too bad though. I think I paid just under $30 for mine with the shipping, a couple years ago.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Printed information is still a great resource in our racket. I don't have that book, but my local library does have a good book on Mex silver as they do also have a good selection of many other antiques and collectible books to refer to from Hot Wheels to Fabergé and so much more in between, plus the library is just up the road from my home. I buy all the antique and collectible books I can find at the thrift stores. There are things in them that you sill won't find on the www. A book does enhance my knowledge better then online research. Some how info in a book will remain much better in my brain over the things I seek on the internet. I'm not sure why that is, but there is info in my head that I retrieve and I know which book I got it from in my library of valuable things to seek out. I can't see why you shouldn't buy the book. Just one good score on a Antonio Pineda, William Spratling or a Fred Davis sure will cover the cost of that book. The internet though seems to me to be better in awareness of fakes and re-pops. So when you see that unique item worth a bundle. Check and double check with both resources. Don't let yourself get caught up in the excitement of the find. "Proceed with caution".

Last edited:

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also use this book. It's invaluable for U.S. based jewelry dealers because we encounter so much Mexican silver from the last century. It also has (2013 version) a fantastic comparison of counterfeit and original marks for some of the most important studios.

OP
OP
S

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the replies. I ordered a copy. You all have helped me identify a few of the Mexican pieces I have found, but I have decent amount more. I was about to sell some things, but figured I should probably look them up.

Will post if I find anything interesting.

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
The power of suggestion. I've used this book online a lot and was frustrated that I couldn't see the whole book. It was on Amazon for $30. I noticed the seller was in my city. Turns out he is in the Antique Mall not far from me. I picked up the copy, so now I'm the proud owner of that book too! Thanks for the push to get it.

MEMOMU

Mar 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DSCN7224.JPG DSCN7237.JPG WHO IS THIS MAKER MEXICO F er S HAS A TREE SYMBOL 925

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions