How would you ship this?

dw171

Aug 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At an upcoming auction this week there's going to be some very nice vintage electronics, turntables, speakers, mixers and things, but a lot of them weigh in excess of 30lbs a piece. I'd like to be able to buy all of it, most of the items are $150-200+ each on ebay. I'm trying to figure out how would I even ship something that size and weight. For those who ship large items, how do you do it. Are there special boxes needed or something? I don't know if they fit in a large flat rate box or not. How would I make sure they arrive ok and undamaged? Any help is appreciated.

meanpc

Jun 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ship stuff like stereo receivers fairly often. Fedex or UPS ground is the only way to go, unless you are shipping to your state or a neighboring state. You will have to buy some decent sturdy boxes. Foam corners are good for that kind of stuff. Buy a box that gives you at least 2 inches of room in every dimension and find some way to make sure the item stays in the center. We have a shipping supply place here where I can buy 10 counts of those kinds of boxes fairly cheap. I don't think I would bother trying to ship tower speakers. I highly recommend you use calculated shipping on eBay for this stuff as the rates can very WILDLY depending on location. Don't forget to add in a handling fee to cover the packing expenses.

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ship stereo equipment but it can be a pain! I will only do it if there's $100 of profit in it. meanpc has it right. I scavenge all my boxes except for framed art ones. I always sell with a disclaimer that it powers up and looks good but I can't guarantee it to work since I don't have a way to test it. Then if something breaks in shipping I am covered. But you get less money. I have had good luck until my last item, when the guy didn't like my packing but didn't ding me.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Every time I buy a stereo component (receiver, turntable), I upgrade my own system. I am now "hoarding" the components because I like having them as spares. Of course, at this point, do I really need 6 turntables as spares? :laughing7:

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I've got a nice Lenco turntable I picked up about this time last year. It's still sitting on my work bench due to the shipping issue. Hate to see $200+ sitting around.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of that stuff if it fits I would put in a Home Depot small packing box. And then put a box over top of it to fill up the difference in size. And then use bubblewrap and packing peanuts. However I've gotten burned so many times on vintage electronics I don't mess with him anymore unless I test them but I don't buy them anymore.

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find a big box. Sometimes this is harder than it sounds. Then I buy a pack of that foam sheeting insulation. I build sheets all around it until it fits solidly in the box. Its a pain. I would say for every ten dollars you spend you are going to want a $150 return. If you think about the time it takes to pack, test, list and ebay/auction fees. And you have to think about how well they sell. Or did some guy just get lucky when it sold for $200.

OP
OP
D

dw171

Aug 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies. All the items are in excellent condition. They had them all hooked up and playing. Most of the items do sell well. I just have to wait and see what I can actually buy them for.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread