Gold Buyers: Use them to identify your silver & gold.

golfpro

Greenie
Mar 18, 2009
California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett 2500
My Mother-In-Law had a shoe box of jewelry she wanted to sell. It was a collection of pieces passed down from generations of family members from both sides of her family. I took her down to the local "We pay cash for your jewelry". He tested all the jewelry and separated the silver & gold. He gave us a price for the metals he desired. I told her that I would match his price. She sold me the jewelry!! This gave me a great idea!!!! There is some items I collect that i'm not sure of there metal identity based on lack of identification marks. I don't have the acid tests needed to identify the pieces. I put all the pieces that I was "not sure if gold or silver" together and brought them to my gold and silver buyer. He separates the goodies from the junk. He gives me a price for the goodies. I tell him I want to wait for a better price. No need for costly metal identifiers. Sucks for him but it is a free service!!

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$20 will buy you a test kit. Two trips saved and that 20 is looking pretty good...

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After a few times of not selling to the buyer I'm pretty sure they would wise up and send you down the road.Goodluck!

billn1956

Jan 2, 2010
also if you are color blind, and most men do not know that they are unless they enlisted,it can be impossable to know what you have with the acid.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I take anyone that wants to sell their gold to the pawn shop, let them make them an offer (at 10 or 20 cents on the dollar), then just bump him.
I thought you were talking about the spectrometer metal reading machine thingy, they can get a read on all the metals in a piece. I saw a man at a pawn shop the other day with a hand held one. I thought, pretty cool....... I only ever saw one other one, set up on a tri-pod, attached to a computer.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, let me know how this works out for you long term.

tomsright

Jul 2, 2013
NatureCoast Florida
Detector(s) used
A/T PRO, 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
also if you are color blind, and most men do not know that they are unless they enlisted,it can be impossable to know what you have with the acid.
Silvers the only test for color . The gold test is if it disappears or not . That and a magnet. I use mine often makes life easier . A good investment .

OP
OP
G

golfpro

Greenie
Mar 18, 2009
California
Detector(s) used
Wow!!! Not a negative post!! I have been collecting gold and silver jewelry for more than 12 years. Some items I purchase at garage sales are subject to their authenticity. Why!! They don't have silver or gold marks. I'm not the master of identifying precious metals. I am simply stating that if you are unsure of the items you have purchased, whether they are (gold or silver) the Cash for Gold guy will answer your questions. I'm not willing to purchase all the testing devices (gold, silver, diamond, scales). I have over 50 lbs. of metals at this point. I have the intelligence to take down a pound of unknowns to separate going to the refinery or resale. I was trying to be informative!!

OP
OP
G

golfpro

Greenie
Mar 18, 2009
California
Detector(s) used
I'm not talking about the guy deciding on a purchase at his local garage sale for a lot of jewelry. I'm talking to the guy that has 30 lbs. of metals sending to the refinery. Take the pound of unknowns to the "Cash for Gold" before you pull the trigger.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Am I missing something? Buy the acids separate, and a stone. not the kits in the wood box that falls apart in a week. A magnet salvaged from a junk harddrive. A scale from Harbor freight. cost around $30. A straight pin (to test ivory) and a book of matches. And if you want to go whole hog a diamond tester (low end $79). This has kept me from dumping pieces for $5 that are valued at $100 or better. Throw in a copy of "collecting costume jewelry 202 - second edition, and you can do as good as or better than the guy at the pawn shops. If you don't want to flip for the test kit the book will amaze you at how much money you've lost in your junk pile. I always thought AVON stuff was junk. But check out the prices!

Another thing is, if you have a bunch of broken gold pieces places like Lonnies in Phoenix az will trade your scrap for acids etc. Since they sell to jewelry makers etc.

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
Am I missing something? Buy the acids separate, and a stone. not the kits in the wood box that falls apart in a week. A magnet salvaged from a junk harddrive. A scale from Harbor freight. cost around $30. A straight pin (to test ivory) and a book of matches. And if you want to go whole hog a diamond tester (low end $79). This has kept me from dumping pieces for $5 that are valued at $100 or better. Throw in a copy of "collecting costume jewelry 202 - second edition, and you can do as good as or better than the guy at the pawn shops. If you don't want to flip for the test kit the book will amaze you at how much money you've lost in your junk pile. I always thought AVON stuff was junk. But check out the prices!

Another thing is, if you have a bunch of broken gold pieces places like Lonnies in Phoenix az will trade your scrap for acids etc. Since they sell to jewelry makers etc.
What?!?!?! AVON has value?! I will get that book! I have tons of crap costume jewelry and AVON is in the piles! I only looked for Trifari, Coro, etc…I hated to see Avon and Monet on anything! Thanks!

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
What?!?!?! AVON has value?! I will get that book! I have tons of crap costume jewelry and AVON is in the piles! I only looked for Trifari, Coro, etc…I hated to see Avon and Monet on anything! Thanks!

Type in "avon jewelry" on ebay and click on "sold listings" and sort by highest price. You will see what types of stuff is actually worth something.

Looks like the designer pieces that Avon occasionally made have value (Elizabeth Taylor, etc).

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The guys I go to use these gadgets Auracle Gold Tester AGT1 Electronic gold & Platinum Tester [Auracle] - $550.00 : Scales-n-Tools.com, Enjoy our Selection, Price, and Convenience. I for the most part go in for verification with no intention of selling to the p.m. buyers. I just act that way for a free test, plus they're the ones who say come on in and see what your gold is worth on the radio adds. I just say sure, lets hear your offer and tell them it's worth more to me then they're willing to pay. I switch it up between 5 or so buyers, so they don't remember me as the chump who just wants to be extra sure his gold is what it's marked as. I have found most jeweler's will generally ask for a appraisal fee . I've been wondering if these smartphone testers are worth a crap. Gemoro Auracle AGT2 Mobile Electronic Gold Platinum Tester for Android OS New | eBay I've had the acid, but never get around to buying more.

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an auracle tester, priceless to me, anything I'm getting weird results from with acid goes directly to it. When I started this I figured if I'm going to do it, might as well do it right. So I set up exactly like my buyer. He has since bought new model machines but the same brand. I did spring for stronger magnets than he has though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread