Relic Hunting

Darrow

Jul 22, 2014
Sherman, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 550, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is funny what we put ourselves through sometimes! Hope you score treasures, and hope you post pics!

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
white's BeachHunter 300/DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought it was bad down here when you half to get there two hours early and you're staying overnight. Good luck hope you score big

OP
OP
B

bdsawyer

Feb 25, 2014
North Dakota
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well got some really nice badges, early political memorabilia, etc. well worth the trip and sleeping in a car. Here is a couple rare michigan chauffeur badges I got, 1908-1909 and 1909-1910. Will try to post more pics later but am hanging with my baby right now.

image-2562868119.jpg

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are the 2nd and 3rd year issue of Michigan Chauffeur's badges. The 1907-08 is the earliest . Very nice find and yes, rare. Looking forward to the rest.

OP
OP
B

bdsawyer

Feb 25, 2014
North Dakota
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here is a selection of milwaukee carnival ribbons, 1898-1900.

image-2143421434.jpg

Here is a 1900 mining badge and medal from The international mining congress.

image-1085938192.jpg

A 1900 Wisconsin Republican convention jugate medal of roosevelt/McKinley. Love this one.

image-3125888067.jpg

It was a fun sale, and this is a little snippet of what was found. I will try to add when I have some more time.

OP
OP
B

bdsawyer

Feb 25, 2014
North Dakota
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
One last thing to post tonight, a circa 1900-1910 milwaukee safe drivers club badge. Also marked Vigilante. 1.5" tall. Haven't found anything like it so far in my quick research, but it's pretty sweet. image-2940866112.jpg

Attachments

• image-3609607418.jpg
    image-3609607418.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol...you are sleeping in your car and you got the third position. How early were you? Also, from the finds im assuming its cold where you are. That is commitment!

Nice finds...curious about the last badge you posted.

Darrow

Jul 22, 2014
Sherman, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 550, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quite amazing those ribbons are still with us! You scored! Thanks for the pictures

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd venture to say that Republican convention ribbon medal is worth $150-$200 in the right auction. Here is some info on the vigilance (vigilante) committee, looks like it dates to 1921 (the book is from 1922 and mentions being formed 'last winter') group only had 250 members, another are piece. You've got a good eye.
Milwaukee - Google Books

OP
OP
B

bdsawyer

Feb 25, 2014
North Dakota
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you diggum! That's amazing and very interesting to read about. Awesome research as always.

OP
OP
B

bdsawyer

Feb 25, 2014
North Dakota
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Lol...you are sleeping in your car and you got the third position. How early were you? Also, from the finds im assuming its cold where you are. That is commitment! Nice finds...curious about the last badge you posted.

I was there at one in the morning, the other two were there at 11. It is not uncommon for people to get there at 5pm the night before. It's super competitive but the stuff these companies are pulling from these estates is well worth my time. I was bummed as the other two in front of me basically took 4 full cases of political buttons, but that was their reward for getting there so early. I honestly thought I was going to be number 10 getting there at 1.
And yes, it was about 20 degrees out but nothing a good coat and blankets can't handle!

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was there at one in the morning, the other two were there at 11. It is not uncommon for people to get there at 5pm the night before. It's super competitive but the stuff these companies are pulling from these estates is well worth my time. I was bummed as the other two in front of me basically took 4 full cases of political buttons, but that was their reward for getting there so early. I honestly thought I was going to be number 10 getting there at 1.
And yes, it was about 20 degrees out but nothing a good coat and blankets can't handle!

Wow, great job!! Awesome stuff and totally worth it!
I texted an estate sale company (I know the dude) at 6 am last weekend to say I was on my way and please would he tell me what room the vintage sugar bowl programs were in. He texted back to tell me that there had been a dealer there for 2 hours already and he told them he was in line for those same programs. I went anyway and froze my a** off in line on top of a hill with the wind blowing for 2 hours, but did OK. They don't pass out numbers here, it's line up and wait outside the door.

OP
OP
B

bdsawyer

Feb 25, 2014
North Dakota
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow, great job!! Awesome stuff and totally worth it! I texted an estate sale company (I know the dude) at 6 am last weekend to say I was on my way and please would he tell me what room the vintage sugar bowl programs were in. He texted back to tell me that there had been a dealer there for 2 hours already and he told them he was in line for those same programs. I went anyway and froze my a** off in line on top of a hill with the wind blowing for 2 hours, but did OK. They don't pass out numbers here, it's line up and wait outside the door.
Well I'm glad I didn't have to stand outside, that would have been rough! What years of sugar bowl programs did they have?

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of the "Professionals" and some local dealers have somewhat of a tunnel vision.... Here in North Texas, if they are there early, parked and staying in their warm autos, and I walk up to the front door and stand, they think that early parking out at the street gives them the right to walk to the front of the line.
Last weekend, the estate sale kept the fence gate closed. It was a half a block walk to the front door. The "first" guy went straight for the front door. The second guy walked about the property, looked over what items were already set out at the other end of the house, then came and TOOK his place as we waited another 10 minutes for the front door to open. Being third in line, I didn't see the worth in addressing it, but it just didn't set well with me.

Is this the way it works where you guys are?

Last edited:

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I'm glad I didn't have to stand outside, that would have been rough! What years of sugar bowl programs did they have?

Middle 1950s, along with some killer scrapbooks from a trip to Havana during that time period. The first guy in line scooped them up like a frog eating flies.

OP
OP
B

bdsawyer

Feb 25, 2014
North Dakota
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Some of the "Professionals" and some local dealers have somewhat of a tunnel vision.... Here in North Texas, if they are there early, parked and staying in their warm autos, and I walk up to the front door and stand, they think that early parking out at the street gives them the right to walk to the front of the line.
Last weekend, the estate sale kept the fence gate closed. It was a half a block walk to the front door. The "first" guy went straight for the front door. The second guy walked about the property, looked over what items were already set out at the other end of the house, then came and TOOK his place as we waited another 10 minutes for the front door to open. Being third in line, I didn't see the worth in addressing it, but it just didn't set well with me.

Is this the way it works where you guys are?

Around my parts they run Pre number systems. First to get there sets out the numbers, next to arrive grab the next number and so on. You must stay at the sale or you forfeit the number. Then the estate sale honors the pre numbers and hands out real numbers 1 hour before the sale. Its a tricky business but for the most part everyone stays civil. I have seen a few fights over people budging and pushing their way in.

I have also seen sign up sheets where you sign your name on the door and wait outside in a line. I always call the company beforehand to see what they are doing as far as the number system, and plan accordingly

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread