Vintage Mikimoto pearls

Madmox

Mar 26, 2014
So I thought I would pose this question to you all. I recently picked up a vintage mikimoto necklace for a song, unfortunately it is missing the box. So, my question is, if I wanted go track down a box how important is it that it's a mikimoto box, so far as collectibility of the jewelry? And if so, does it need to be a mikimoto box of the correct vintage or will a new one be fine since its of the same designer?

Thanks.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check on line for an empty is the only way I can think you'd find that box. Empty OEM boxes can be pricey. I just sold a empty baume mercier watch box for $41. that I found in a thrift store for $1.99 and I saw that same box I had sold even up to $75. Still I was happy for that price. Is this string of pearls you have marked with the Mikimoto (M) and is the clasp gold or silver?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Madmox

Madmox

Mar 26, 2014
Yeah it's hallmarked "m" in the shell and sterling not gold unfortunately but I am still very happy with it.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never had any luck selling pearls, and I've had a lot of nice ones, even the gold mikimoto, those I still have. Almost seems like they're a dime a dozen, so I basically gave up on pearls. Might would/could get more with the box, then maybe not.
Good luck, some seem to do well with them, me - not.

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a multi strand set with 14k gold clasp.... In the original box... I checked eBay and wouldn't list them... $5-10 was all they were bringing.

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Sadly, I agree with the above. I even tried in several consignment shops. They all told me pearls don't move. :-(

OP
OP
Madmox

Madmox

Mar 26, 2014
Ehhhh in this case I'm not selling them, I am giving them to the missus for Christmas. And if the price is right Buzzhead I might take them off your hands. ;)

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did a quick search on eBay of sold "Mikimoto pearl necklace sterling" and it looks like several have sold for in the hundreds of dollars range. It looks like the pearls size, graduation, length of the string etc play a part in it's worth. About the box, I'd get one if it was "cheap" and you feel your pearls are worth enough to justify the purchase.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread