Pics of the Rhodes sterling...

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any information?? Beside the maker obviously... ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417232708.516167.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417232765.827259.jpg

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice find! Modernist piece by Walter Rhodes. Not much on him but that is his mark and his pieces are very highly priced as in, worth more than their weight in platinum.

Walter Rhodes Modernist Sterling and Turquoise Necklace (item #1244812)

Walter Rhodes was born in New York City where he studied at the Arts Students League. He worked as a silversmith in Tappan, New York. His jewelry was mostly one-of-a-kind, and abstract, constructed out of cutout biomorphic silver shapes with a conservative use of stones.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would have definitely caught my eye. It's a rare moment to come by a piece like that. You have a good eye to spot that. This is why great treasures are found in thrift stores. People who have not the eye make a donation to others who do not have the eye to price and set out for sale. I'm so glade my music major and lover of the arts mother made sure I grew up with exposure to those things. Are you going to sell it?

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes. It's will be listed, a bit outrageously I think, but I'm going to start at 1300 obo tomorrow evening.

OP
OP
B

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you think I should polish it?

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you think I should polish it?
I always do a light cleaning on old pieces and silver items, just enough to leave it looking aged, but nice looking. I use a silver cream polish or silver cloth. I rub lightly, just enough to give it a little luster. On this piece being your going for a set 1300 obo, I'd just leave it untouched and describe the patina is due to real honest age, plus if you do get a buyer on that I'm sure they'll fully understand that patina issue being they'll be spending that kind of cash on it and it's more of an art piece they're buying. They'll have their own people to deal with anything they want to do to it. I'd like to see you get a hit on the full 1300, but for me I'd be happy with a 800 acceptance offer. Good Luck!

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Digs, do you think $1300.00 bin obo is too high, too low?? I didn't click on the link you provided until about an hour ago.... Huge difference from $1300 to 2300+...

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Digs, do you think $1300.00 bin obo is too high, too low?? I didn't click on the link you provided until about an hour ago.... Huge difference from $1300 to 2300+...
Yeah that is a big diff and I did click on it. I can't find how long that one has been listed. It sure does offer a possible clue on what this jewelers stuff may be worth, but that seller may be shootin for the moon imo. Heck go higher with best offer and see what folks throw at ya.

OP
OP
B

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just sent off an email to that outfit. Asking for a value and a possible sale if the offer is close to my vision....

OP
OP
B

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went a little higher and listed for 2000 obo. Still waiting on a reply from the contact from the link above.

OP
OP
B

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just received a question about this piece!!! Listed two hours., freaking awesome!!!!!!!

OP
OP
B

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3 watchers. Not too bad for such an expensive item.

OP
OP
B

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Down to nut cutting time, 6 days left... 5 watchers. Crossing my fingers..

OP
OP
B

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've contacted Bonhams to see if they are interested in this piece to put into an upcoming auction.

OP
OP
B

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've moved this piece finally, I just got tired of looking at it. I had another offer of $500 on it. After a day of mulling around about it I decided I was happy with $496 profit, and took the offer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread