OP
mjm579

mjm579

Jan 6, 2013
Montgomery County, PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HELP Please!! Pappy's estate - bank notes

We got the auction catalogue today. This place does a FANTASTIC job advertising their sales. It's a 116 page full color catalogue!!! Plus they have it all up online. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1424223362.164195.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1424223372.546924.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1424223383.529803.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1424223447.814080.jpg

kali_is_my_copilot

Feb 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you so much for sharing this with us, I have some things I've considered auctioning but I don't know that much about it so I find it fascinating. This place looks very thorough/high end. Lol nobody prints like that anymore unless they have the chops to back it up.

OP
OP
mjm579

mjm579

Jan 6, 2013
Montgomery County, PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you so much for sharing this with us, I have some things I've considered auctioning but I don't know that much about it so I find it fascinating. This place looks very thorough/high end. Lol nobody prints like that anymore unless they have the chops to back it up.

I've been entirely impressed with Garrett Manning at Manifest Auctions. My husband found his website through Google when we were originally researching my paps bill. They charge a nominal 5% sellers fee (I asked how they could afford this - 17% sellers premium). I'm just hoping the bill sells bc I would feel awful if it didn't and I passed up two other offers ($1000 and $1800) on eBay. I guess worst case, it doesn't, I pay the $40 for the grading and now I can sell it for more since it is graded.

kali_is_my_copilot

Feb 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow 5% is amazingly low, do they only auction for locals or? I know the places I've looked at here have been higher.

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You probably already have but you should email those people who sent you offers with links to the auction. Good Luck!

OP
OP
mjm579

mjm579

Jan 6, 2013
Montgomery County, PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You probably already have but you should email those people who sent you offers with links to the auction. Good Luck!

I mentioned it to one of the guys and he told me to ask to have the bill returned to me bc that auction house doesn't specialize in foreign currency and there is no way I'm going to get any where close to his $1,800 offer. When I told him that I had already signed a contract he told me not to worry about that. Just tell the auction house that you changed your mind (he's done it before). I told him that I didn't do business that way.... "OK, fine was his reply. I'll just bid on it at the auction. Since I'll surely get the bill for less than $1,000 let alone the great offer I gave you of $1,800". At this point, I simply stopped responding to his messages. This came after he bid on the remaining North Borneo bills I listed. He bought them from me so I couldn't exactly make ways with him for fear of retaliation.

OP
OP
mjm579

mjm579

Jan 6, 2013
Montgomery County, PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow 5% is amazingly low, do they only auction for locals or? I know the places I've looked at here have been higher.

I'm not entirely sure. I think they do auctions (online and in house) at least 2-3 times per year. I don't know if he has more routine auctions at his auction house or just the "higher" end ones as mentioned. Give him a call. He was incredibly nice to both my husband and I. Answered all of our questions. Even his voicemail said "text his cell if you can't reach him by phone"!

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
Did you place a reserve on the note? You can place a reserve on it of $1800, then you are certain to get your money for it. I put my Washington Token up for Auction with a $1500 reserve. When it didn't sell, I re-listed it in a better auction (same company, more Washington stuff), and it sold for $25000.

dw171

Aug 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I mentioned it to one of the guys and he told me to ask to have the bill returned to me bc that auction house doesn't specialize in foreign currency and there is no way I'm going to get any where close to his $1,800 offer. When I told him that I had already signed a contract he told me not to worry about that. Just tell the auction house that you changed your mind (he's done it before). I told him that I didn't do business that way.... "OK, fine was his reply. I'll just bid on it at the auction. Since I'll surely get the bill for less than $1,000 let alone the great offer I gave you of $1,800". At this point, I simply stopped responding to his messages. This came after he bid on the remaining North Borneo bills I listed. He bought them from me so I couldn't exactly make ways with him for fear of retaliation.

He must be concerned it will go for more than $1800 if he's wanting you to cancel auction. Who wouldn't be happy to save $800 on an item? Hope auction goes well, waiting to see how high it goes.

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Again, good luck! Do you have to register as a bidder to see the bid amount?

OP
OP
mjm579

mjm579

Jan 6, 2013
Montgomery County, PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Again, good luck! Do you have to register as a bidder to see the bid amount?

I did register but just to see it all go live tomorrow. The 2 vids are proxy bids and the lowest one won't be revealed until tomorrow AM. I'm so excited I hope I'll b able to fall asleep.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I did register but just to see it all go live tomorrow. The 2 vids are proxy bids and the lowest one won't be revealed until tomorrow AM. I'm so excited I hope I'll b able to fall asleep.

Good luck on the auctions for your Grand Pappy's Note! Also, thanks for the link to Manifest Auctions! I may try them out for some collectibles and coins I have as eBay and PayPal make a killing off me in fees.

Frank

billn1956

Jan 2, 2010
Well I am glad every thing worked out for your daddy,and his daughter was able an Happy to give him a hand..I am happy to see such a great daughter,they are a blessing.

OP
OP
mjm579

mjm579

Jan 6, 2013
Montgomery County, PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I am glad every thing worked out for your daddy,and his daughter was able an Happy to give him a hand..I am happy to see such a great daughter,they are a blessing.

Thanks. Now to sell the estate itself. I REALLY wish I had the money to buy it from my aunt. Then I could move back home and live near my parents.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread