14k cameo and random silver

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only went to a few sales this week, but did buy about 80g in random sterling silver and this cameo for $15. I did not see any marks on the cameo and thought frame was sterling. Turns out it is white 14k. Pin is broken. Curious on thoughts about cameo and whether it is worth fixing or sell as is.

Thx,
bill

ForumRunner_20141207_201630.png

ForumRunner_20141207_201641.png

ForumRunner_20141207_201648.png

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm having a hard time selling a cameo. I personally would not invest anything into it. You did get it for a great price. Sell it as is, IMHO. (yours is much nicer than the one I am trying to sell, and the frame is also much nicer. Still ... cameos can end up being dogs, from my past experience.)

billn1956

Jan 2, 2010
have to agree with mugs. But I belive you can get 1.5 over spot for it.evan if some one really does not buy it for the cameo.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had one and I broke it by accident. If I remember correctly the gold was about 3 to 4 g total on mine I know different sizes but it was around $80 in scrap gold

OP
OP
S

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the advice.

I kind of like this one so thinking I will just keep it. Will get it fixed next time I need some other jewelry repaired.

OP
OP
S

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks bill....I was thinking the same thing.

When I got it, it was dirty but cleaned up very nicely. When you hold a light behind it you can see all the detail.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yours appears to be a 1920'- 30's era piece, but I could be wrong. I would have it fixed myself, it's an easy fix and shouldn't cost too too much. The figure depicted is the goddess Flora.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you scrap that you would not get 10 dollars... You have to be careful on things like this... My estimate on this and what I would sell it for are EST 250-300 ... what I would try and get for it...and actually sell it for are two different birds... But I can tell you that in no way shape or form would I take less than 160... Dying of starvation I would take a quick 100... short of that...nope.

BUT !!! this depends on IF it is in fact REAL.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Test for "realness" heh...
Touch gently to a tooth.... yes tooth.... pay attention to feel and sound... does it feel like stone... then it is shell and real. If it has the feel of plastic ... the well you know...
BUT you can still get 40 bucks for the fake.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had one and I broke it by accident. If I remember correctly the gold was about 3 to 4 g total on mine I know different sizes but it was around $80 in scrap gold

You lost money on that deal... Cold hard cash.
I have a buyer that would have probably paid a quick 500

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guys... do a search on ebay for "gold cameo" "then silver cameo" then "silver filigree cameo" click "highest price first"... gonna have to scroll through a few pages but keep goin... I see a few similar to yours ... it pays to research em...
Here is one very similar to yours... BUT yours if real... IS WAY CLEANER...
Antique Huge Shell Cameo Sterling Silver Filigree Brooch 18 4 G Estate | eBay

OP
OP
S

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info. I didn't know it was the goddess flora or time period.

I wasn't planning on scrapping it. Just wasn't sure if it was worth fixing or not. I'm confident its real. Metal tested 14k and it's not plastic.

It was in good shape when I bought it but was a little dirty. I did clean it with soft

toothbrush, put it in the ultrasonic cleaner, and picked out the remaining specs of dirt with a pin and magnifying glass.

Here is another pic. Thanks again.

ForumRunner_20141215_233905.png

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a shell carved cameo. It is also marked 14k on the catch just in case you didn't see that. Here are a bunch of cameos to compare it to- http://www.morninggloryjewelry.com/cameos-jewelry-aid-30.html I'lm second guessing myself about it being the goddess Flora. I was judging by her style of dress and the flowers in her hair. Still might be, but not positive.

Last edited:

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a beautifully carved shell cameo! If/when you list it be sure to include the last photo you posted with the light behind it. You should do well on it. So many real carved cameos but just not done this well. Good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread