Vintage fishing weight???

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
white's BeachHunter 300/DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to an estate sale today only found a couple of things one of those things I believe is a vintage fishing weight on the side of it it has automatic anchor it reminds me of a weight you will use while fishing for Pompano on the beach i've searched Google but I haven't found anything yet if anybody can give me some insight would be greatly appreciated thank you ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1418241609.945866.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1418241618.448724.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1418241625.707716.jpg

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How big is it?? To be any kind of boat anchor it would have to be quite large. If it is four inches long or less it is a surf fishing sinker, they still make similar ones for that purpose. Just because someone puts one in an auction calling it a rare boat anchor doesn't make it so. Worthpoint is useless in this case since it is only an ad by someone who may not have a clue as to it's real purpose. I suspect that it is small if the OP thinks it may be a beach fishing sinker and if it is small he is one hundred percent correct.

Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How big is it?? To be any kind of boat anchor it would have to be quite large. If it is four inches long or less it is a surf fishing sinker, they still make similar ones for that purpose. Just because someone puts one in an auction calling it a rare boat anchor doesn't make it so. Worthpoint is useless in this case since it is only an ad by someone who may not have a clue as to it's real purpose. I suspect that it is small if the OP thinks it may be a beach fishing sinker and if it is small he is one hundred percent correct.
Yeah, I saw one listed as a trot line anchor, saying that you tie your lines to the prongs to keep them from getting tangled, lol what a crock. It's definitely not big enough for a boat anchor. I agree that it is a surf fishing anchor. It is an old one though and appears to be made out of cast iron? I would think it dates to the 20's or so, but that's just a wild guess. I like the way that it looks like a small cannon. Cool find.

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If its not that big it could be a fishing weight for what I know as a "trolley line". Although that may be a very colloquial term. The heavy weight that anchors your bait for king mackerel or sharks off the end of the pier.

OP
OP
C

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
white's BeachHunter 300/DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's an update it weighs 13 ounces and is about 6 1/2 inches long and it is made of cast-iron thanks for all the replies still trying to find a good price to sell iti'm thinking around 20 or $30 range

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a racist post at all but when I lived in the Puget Sound area of Tacoma, the Asian community used something very similar to
that to fish for squid off the fishing docks at night. Looks very similar to what they had, they would hang a lantern over the side
and drop the contraption directly into the light cast over the water. Seen them pull thousands of squid up and into the cooler
on something that looked like that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions