diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually it ended hours ago but I'm still glad it's over. Had my yearly purge and got rid of some tonnage. Made $917 total. Here's the before pics-

DSC09423.jpg DSC09421.jpg DSC09422.jpg DSC09424.jpg DSC09425.jpg DSC09419.jpg DSC09426.jpg

The after pics are soon to come. It looks like a pack of wild banshees went through there.

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool. Wish I was there. I once had a table of full of glass like that and some ladies huge dog jumped up on it with its front two paws. My heart skipped a beat but somehow nothing fell over. If thats your yearly purge I can't imagine what the stuff in the collection must look like. I notice you decided against printing up the highest price for sale listing on ebay and placing it next to each item. :laughing7:

Hope you made some good money. Cause there is no worse feeling than dragging all that stuff out only for it to start raining that day.

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Looking good, Diggumm, but now we need to know, what do you think you had invested in that that you sold? My wife and I should have done a yard sale this yr, but camping and saling on our own kept us busy, so it never happened. Your "aisles" look like my wife's. I always kid her that she is too worried about making it look neat, people are going to have it destroyed by 8:30. I believe the words, "It isn't Walmart." have passed my lips a few times. LOL

T.

Justice70

Oct 18, 2008
michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Whites Prizm iv
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! I plan on getting a couple more of those folding tables before my sale next year. They sure make it easier than fabricating tables out of plywood and milk crates. Did the RR signal sell?

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool. Wish I was there. I once had a table of full of glass like that and some ladies huge dog jumped up on it with its front two paws. My heart skipped a beat but somehow nothing fell over. If thats your yearly purge I can't imagine what the stuff in the collection must look like. I notice you decided against printing up the highest price for sale listing on ebay and placing it next to each item. :laughing7:

Hope you made some good money. Cause there is no worse feeling than dragging all that stuff out only for it to start raining that day.
I despise ebay print-outs and usually walk away from those sales, sometimes i'll give them a q&a about ebay and whether they have actually sold anything on there before and what all is involved. The money was not what it should or could have been, but that's to be expected at a yard sale. I still did okay. I can go visit mom now in Ga. for xmas and it won't cost me anything out of pocket, so that's a good thing. I just wanted to get rid of this crap to be honest. I can tell you that this sale has made me take a long look at my past buying habits. I don't like having yard sales, it's a big pita. I will be more discriminate with my future purchases for sure after this last sale. I don't want to go through this again. It's the people that you have to deal with that gets to me the most though. I had to bite my tongue several times yesterday. Cheap bastages.

Looking good, Diggumm, but now we need to know, what do you think you had invested in that that you sold? My wife and I should have done a yard sale this yr, but camping and saling on our own kept us busy, so it never happened. Your "aisles" look like my wife's. I always kid her that she is too worried about making it look neat, people are going to have it destroyed by 8:30. I believe the words, "It isn't Walmart." have passed my lips a few times. LOL

T.
Believe me, Walmart looks the same way a few days before Christmas. Around here anyway, lol. I made a runway like that so we could keep an eye on people and their pockets/pocketbooks. I still had a few pieces "disappear" even with the extra sets of eyes (couple friends) we brought in to help us. The whole front yard was covered with stuff too. I really didn't have too much invested in all that stuff. This was the "fodder". Most of my items have already paid for themselves through other purchases that I have sold that came from the same estate or what have you. Many of the items were either lower dollar ($10 or so) ebay sellers or they weren't "perfect" enough to be sold on ebay. People are very discriminating when buying glass and pottery, before selling online going over every piece with a fine toothed comb, or in this case a magnifying glass, is a necessity.

I have to know what did you get for the Copper Eagle?
I took $40 for it. I think that's what I paid, it was that or $25 I forget which. It was the end of the day and he had a couple issues. After reading your experience, I decided to get rid of it at the sale versus trying to sell it on ebay.

Nice! I plan on getting a couple more of those folding tables before my sale next year. They sure make it easier than fabricating tables out of plywood and milk crates. Did the RR signal sell?
The CPR switch lamp sold for $25 but it was in bad shape and had been converted to electric. The only thing going for it were the 4 colored glass lenses. Still made a small profit on it.

Here is what was left and 90% of it is getting donated to the Salvation Army.

DSC09436.jpg

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
...... I just wanted to get rid of this crap to be honest. I can tell you that this sale has made me take a long look at my past buying habits. I don't like having yard sales, it's a big pita. I will be more discriminate with my future purchases for sure after this last sale. I don't want to go through this again. It's the people that you have to deal with that gets to me the most though. I had to bite my tongue several times yesterday. Cheap bastages.....

I hear ya. I GAVE a bunch of stuff to a friend that sells at flea markets & I'm taking a long hard look at my business model. I make decent money buying whole/partial estates but end up with a lot of "stuff" left over that won't sell on ebay or at the antique mall. I generally sell the large items to dealers, pull the ebay and antique mall items & garage sale the rest. Whatever's left from the garage sale I have been keeping for the next sale. I'm now thinking about donating anything that doesn't sell on the first go round.

The stuff I gave away was leftovers from the last couple years & completely filled my buddies PT Cruiser 3-1/2 times. When I say full I mean just enough room for him to sit in it & drive. There was money to be made but it just wasn't worth my time & I was tired of looking at it.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm taking a long hard look at my business model. I make decent money buying whole/partial estates but end up with a lot of "stuff" left over that won't sell on ebay or at the antique mall.
I had one van load of stuff that was from my previous sale. I gave away a bunch of stuff then too. The bad part is this isn't really a business for me. It's just a hobby. If I was doing this full time it may be a different story. For one thing I wouldn't be selling it just in my yard, I'd be at the flea market and selling at shows/events etc..

On the positive side of things, giving it away reassures me that I am not a hoarder (I was beginning to wonder), regardless of what my shed, storage and spare bedroom still looks like, lol. At least I have room enough now to where I'll be able to organize things a bit better. I'm sure I will find out that I still have enough "fodder" left for another yard sale though, unfortunately. I see myself becoming a very discriminating buyer next year.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had one van load of stuff that was from my previous sale. I gave away a bunch of stuff then too. The bad part is this isn't really a business for me. It's just a hobby. If I was doing this full time it may be a different story. For one thing I wouldn't be selling it just in my yard, I'd be at the flea market and selling at shows/events etc..

On the positive side of things, giving it away reassures me that I am not a hoarder (I was beginning to wonder), regardless of what my shed, storage and spare bedroom still looks like, lol. At least I have room enough now to where I'll be able to organize things a bit better. I'm sure I will find out that I still have enough "fodder" left for another yard sale though, unfortunately. I see myself becoming a very discriminating buyer next year.

I can relate. I have definitely started question myself on the hoarding thing. Next year I will be much more discriminating myself.

Butter Hat

Apr 6, 2014
In ur innerwebz
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still gaping at all that great stuff! We never see sales like that around here. Maybe it's a good thing I don't live nearby because half of it would have come home with me.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still gaping at all that great stuff! We never see sales like that around here. Maybe it's a good thing I don't live nearby because half of it would have come home with me.
I had one lady alone that spent $300. I've seen her around at other sales. With the volume she buys, she must sell at a flea market. That or she is a massive hoarder. She was driving a newer Mercedes though, so she's doing something right.

scaupus

Apr 20, 2011
Not too far from a beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congratulations. i saw your ad, but it didn't make the final cut for my list. NOw I'm sorry I missed it just to have met up!

Last edited:

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad it went well for you digs!
I would have LOVED to have come by, I love all kinds of colored glass!
I did the Bergeron craft show this weekend, I did ok, nothing grand to speak of, made a few new Etsy friends/contacts.
Scaupus, I would have told you, Mr. Dig's garage sales are NOT one you want to miss! :notworthy:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread