HELP!! Out of my realm of knowledge....

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418864382.033721.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418864405.610466.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418864423.582841.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418864442.642624.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418864470.408274.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418864496.424710.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418864522.184913.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418864542.709882.jpg

Any ideas of what they are or who made them?? And a value.... I have an opportunity to bid on these Friday evening at auction... I have no clue on pottery and glass... None whatsoever. Any help would be appreciated!!

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm almost certain that the whiskey decanter is one that was reproduced by Wheaton. I don't know how to tell if its an original or not. Either way that will drive the value down.

The last one is Hyalyn pottery. Its usually black, green, pink or yellow. It was made in NC and pretty common to find when I lived there. I don't think I've seen any with a pattern before. I've only seen solid colors. It has a unique look for the brand. So I found some past sales with that pattern that sold $60 some different shaped ones for ~$90. You can probably get a good deal on it because I would normally not buy the brand just because in general its not worth much. But give ebay a search of what is listed on there now and you should get a good idea of what you could price it at.

Have fun at the auction.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The second piece is husby pottery.. Not a lot of info on it. Only four pieces sold on eBay and for not a lot of money either. The 1st piece is the one that caught my eye to begin with.

Dumpsterdiver: I couldn't find any listed or sold pieces of hyalyn in said pattern on eBay.... Were the ones you found listed??

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Past sales on the husby didn't look very good to me.

About the first one. Unless you can read the name before the sale I would leave it. I'm speaking in general terms and there are always exceptions.

worthpoint is where I found the ones in the pattern. If you don't see any on ebay now with the pattern that is good. I have some Hyalyn I inherited from my aunt, I'm pretty fond of and its strangely durable but I don't think it has a strong collector market. I don't think that is any indication of quality or style.

OP
OP
B

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's a sub to worthpoint worth these days?

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
I pretty sure the Wheaton reproduction bottles (I have had several over the years) all have "Wheaton" embossed on the bottom. The Wheaton repro bottles are decorative but not particularly valuable.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The whiskey bottle was a Wheaton... I picked up the hyalyn and another signed piece sold as a lot for $17.50. Dunno if I did good or not but I'm going to try it.. Probably a $90 starting bid on a 5 day auction...

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The whiskey bottle was a Wheaton... I picked up the hyalyn and another signed piece sold as a lot for $17.50. Dunno if I did good or not but I'm going to try it.. Probably a $90 starting bid on a 5 day auction...

If you search ebay and misspell it hyalan you can see a similar but different one for $175. Which might be their crazy number. I think $90 is a good number but you might have to run it buy it now. If the auction doesn't work. Some items like that sit for awhile but its great when you have the only one on there. I guess you will find out how you did.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Save your money for an item that you know more about, has a bigger/better market, is easier to ship, and has more potential for profit

OP
OP
B

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm always trying to expand my knowledge base. I used to go to auctions and say there's nothing here I can buy and make money on, now I'm looking at it as what can I buy to make money on.... If you don't evolve you become extinct. I'm always learning.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We all are buzz, im just saying that in my opinion glass/pottery is one area that is more trouble than its worth. There are exceptions, of course, but I'd pass!

OP
OP
B

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Listed the hylayn for 100 start and $165 buy it now.. We will see what happens...

OP
OP
B

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sold this afternoon for $165...way cool!

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sold this afternoon for $165...way cool!

Sounds like someone needed an xmas present. Good for you. Let me know if I get any free advice commission. :laughing7::laughing7:

I sell a good bit of pottery and glass. That would probably be a record for pottery for me so that is a terrific sale. I've cracked that amount a few times with glass but never pottery.

OP
OP
B

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I must have got lucky. I kind of expected a bid or two at $100 but buy it now surprised me a little.

Free advice commission: don't eat yellow snow! Hehe!!

OP
OP
B

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The pattern of this piece is called basketry... Straight from the buyers mouth lol, she said she bought as a Christmas gift.... For herself!! Lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread