What do you look for?

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do you key on mostly? Men's items or women's items? I find way more profit in women's items... Jewelry, perfume, etc. I figure it's easier to get a woman to part with money than a man. So I key on mostly women's things... Sometimes it makes for an interesting spectacle at a yard sale lol... First place I hit is the jewelry table. First place I walk up to in goodwill is the jewelry counter... It helps to have my 17 yr old daughter to pick the perfume and smelly junk at yard sales though lol

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Looking for something distracts you from seeing what's in front of you. Look at everything; recognize the hidden value. Pull out your smart phone to research before you pull out your wallet. Rinse, Repeat.

deserdog

May 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I look for the unusual, be it book or anything else.

OP
OP
B

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do well on off the wall types of stuff also. I've learned a ton off this site.

Lost&Found

Jul 27, 2013
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I look for items that have a 10:1 resale. That way I can undercut the other Ebay sellers. Last week I picked a brand new Alessi 9093 tea kettle for $2. They retail for $180 and the lowest recent price on Ebay was $130. When I list it I will start the bidding at $99 or bin 135 with free shipping.

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This year I have been looking for the item that I saw the night before in the estate's sales pictures and lined up that morning to get.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the past I keyed in on specific items and realized how that really narrows down my options of finding other money making stuff. I leave my mind open and focus on almost anything to be discovered with profit potential. It could be anything out there for sale at a thrift store, flea market or yard sales that has the potential to be the big score. I don't do clothes because of the limit of size and fashion styles. I have more then a few time bought items in the 10 to 50 dollar range and sold in the 300 plus dollar range and more. The more you open up on your focus of the hunt the better your odds of hitting the mother load. If I think something has that grand potential of making a good margin I just check ebay sales history to be sure I'm not wasting my money. To see what others have done on this forum has been very a good education on what to keep in mind to not overlook. You can never know enough and the potential big scores are endless. Be a frequent shopper as things come and go every second of the day.

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
As several others have mentioned, I don't look for specific items. I have a short list of criteria I employ when evaluating things I see at sales. My criteria are:

1. There must be at least $30 potential profit. That means, of course, the sales price must be right, I know (or can easily find out) what the likely sales price will be, and there is demand for the item.
2. The item must be relatively easy to pack and ship or, if it isn't, it must be something I'm confident I can sell easily on Craigslist.
3. The item must be in very good condition unless I know the item is highly collectible and valuable even if slightly damaged.

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a couple standard things, But mostly I look for stuff that I don't know what it is. Items I have never seen before. Problem with that is it takes longer to list those.

meanpc

Jun 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking for the unusual is really good advice. You strike out sometimes, but you have really big scores too. Plus, you aren't competing with the rest of the walkers you see at the sale.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread