Buying a timeshare...

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not really a yard sale but I'm vacation and we had to go to this meeting and it was about buying a timeshare. For only $270 a month we could phone her own timeshare in 5 yrs at 17% interest. Meeting was supposed to be 90 minutes long. Four hours later were were still there and I was getting really agitated. Like yell and holler and leave agitated!! But at the end of the day I would rather have 270 a month for yard sailing been buying a timeshare at a place I don't even really like!

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
The Wall Street Journal once said that the worst investment anyone could ever make was in a timeshare.

If you've just got to own one, there are websites for buying them from individuals, often for a song.

I just don't get the timeshare deal. The yearly fees total up to be about what we pay for an ocean front suite in Myrtle Beach every year for our vacation. Why would I want to be locked into a contract for the rest of my life...when I can just pick up the phone and reserve a room, where I want to, when I want to??

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
if they are such a good deal I wonder why they have to use such pressure to sell em?

never going to one again

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not really a yard sale but I'm vacation and we had to go to this meeting and it was about buying a timeshare. For only $270 a month we could phone her own timeshare in 5 yrs at 17% interest. Meeting was supposed to be 90 minutes long. Four hours later were were still there and I was getting really agitated. Like yell and holler and leave agitated!! But at the end of the day I would rather have 270 a month for yard sailing been buying a timeshare at a place I don't even really like!

So you didn't post what you got for free? Don't tell me you sat through it for nothing.

Also you should now watch that SouthPark episode where everytime they go to leave the timeshare sales room there is another room just like the one they were in.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No. we sat through it for free. However we did get three nights four days in Orlando for $100. That's was the trick to get us in. We were told we will never be able to have another vacation so cheap. !! Lol

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
Time shares are terrible. The worst of them, they are impossible to get rid of, and you gave to pay the fees until you die or go bankrupt. You can buy ALL brands of time shares on eBay for almost nothing. The best of them are a few thousand now, and then a few hundred a year for life.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Proven to be a bad investment. Try selling your share or getting the dates you want to use it. If it sounds to good to be true it usually is. My sister is trying to get out of hers in Destin. She offered it to me over Christmas. I really do not want to leave for Destin for Christmas,lol. I declined. It is empty this week. Kind of ironic that you posted this now.
Happy Hunting!

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Had a friend with one. Down at Port Aransas on the gulf. Came in handy at spring break, summer too in our younger years. Furnished, had everything. Fully stocked kitchen even. It was paradise. Had a garage for the boat, motor and trailer we rented at U-Haul in Corpus. Good memories for this old coot...

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a friend with one. Down at Port Aransas on the gulf. Came in handy at spring break, summer too in our younger years. Furnished, had everything. Fully stocked kitchen even. It was paradise. Had a garage for the boat, motor and trailer we rented at U-Haul in Corpus. Good memories for this old coot...

I would run down to Port Aransas for the weekend and return a week later, ahhhhh the times of youth and spring breaks!

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I overheard a lady at the pool talking about it so she bought one and she uses it every year. That they were not able to fill the whole place up so they started renting to locals here as well. She said it's just been a horrible experience and she would not suggest anyone here.

The manager made a big stink about how they spend $600 on advertising person and they need to recoup some of that so I need to really consider purchasing something. So he wanted to offer me a one time come again for 10 days for $1500 I could use whenever I wanted to! I said I'm opening a business I don't have $1500 to invest in this. Invest in my business and look forward to the future and that providing for vacations versus spending tons of money on something I don't even want to be at?? I am not signing a thing. Funny how they act to be their friend Until you decide not to buy anything then they treat you like dirt.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
The reason you had good memories was …. You was not the fool who bought in to it...

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No. we sat through it for free. However we did get three nights four days in Orlando for $100. That's was the trick to get us in. We were told we will never be able to have another vacation so cheap. !! Lol
The last time I went to Orlando/Disney someone tried offering me a discount package deal and all I had to go was go to one of these "time share seminars". I chose not to because I've already experienced one of them probably 20 years ago. Sat there for about 30 minutes and left, if I remember correctly. Not for me.

Minlooker

Tenderfoot
Dec 20, 2014
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
X TERRA 705, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Run like hell. For the 4200.00 you can rent a gulf condo and pay for your air fare for the same or less. (FLA) They try to wear you down, promise the world to you, and if you don't act NOW they won't be able to offer this again. (bull) That $$ will turn into $$$ real quick. They treat you like kings and queens while sucking you in, treat you like scum when you say no or try to get out of the "deal of a life time". Been there done that.. RUN brother run. Merry Christmas, Minlooker.

H-2 CHARLIE

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2012
on the rocks - so cal county line
Detector(s) used
Gold bug pro / Minelab GM 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
one friend has a timeshare in Maui his yearly fee is $2,800 dollars a year that includes as one week or two weeks in Maui room only he paid 52k

Now my nephew bought one for 48k and 400 maintance fee a yr t include s a trip every month for life and one is a room for 8 at Fl. Disneyland at 660 a Nite or park city utah so there you go ahead which one would you buy ?

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
She shot herself in the foot. Told her that a friend of mine bought one there. And make a $200 a month for it. When she was going through the presentation she said that I would get points for mine if I found someone to use a week. So basically someone to go into my account and rent any destination for any period of time at the same rate I would then I could get the points towards vacation for myself!!

So what you basically told me is that I can go on my friends site under her account book a vacation for myself where ever I want to, at the same rate she would get it for and then by me doing this she can get the points for her timeshare account! This would save me from buying one and paying two or $300 a month and all the other stuff to go with it I could just get one from her account and she can get the points from it! As soon as she said that I had no interest. To pay attention to anything else they had to offer!!!

Sterling

Jan 24, 2012
central, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
This is my story, my wife and I got brain washed into buying a "timeshare" and then found out we would have had to pay for the insurance and maid service. Since we had three days to rescind the contract we decided to call the office up, though we got ignored. We found out when they were going to be in the area again, so we called them up again and told them we wanted to upgrade to a better "timeshare". We agreed on a new upgrade to get out of the contract we had already agreed on, but when we told the person in charge of the signing that we had a contract already, she tore up the old contract... Fortunately we walked out without signing the new contract...Once we walked out of her office every sales person did not say a word, they just stared at us. It was so quite you could hear a pin drop. So we ended up getting out of the "timeshare contract".:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread