coin jewelry

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
A while back a few of you were talking about taking coins and making jewelry out of them. Are they worth anything? I got two old coins that are jewelry.

2014-12-30 20.31.20.jpg 2014-12-30 20.32.04.jpg 2014-12-30 20.32.24.jpg

The one from Australia is probably real silver. My acid is old; I need to get some new stuff before I test. Neither coins are magnetic; the roses around the six pence is.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good finds....the silver coin jewelry items generally should command a premium over the melt value....don't know what you paid for them but neat finds.

Regards + HH

Bill

OP
OP
M

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
They were in jars that I got. I am sorting through what I am keeping and what I am tossing. So these are a keeper?

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jewelry grade coins (coins that were used to make jewelry) usually sell for less than a normal coin... When they are removed from the jewelry there is usually nicks scrapes and gouges in them.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
buzzhead,

The trick is to sell them as a piece of jewelry and not a coin....both the coin/jewelry items are common coin stock so he should get a premium to melt selling them as jewelry items.

Regards + HH

Bill

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not at my seller for scrap you won't. He will put it in the vise and smash it if need be but the 80% or 90% coin is coming out of that .925... She may be able to get a premium as "jewelry".... Mugs is a female too..

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat, you should be able to look the coins up on wikipedia or a similar site and find out what the composition of them is.

bdsawyer

Feb 25, 2014
North Dakota
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You can label the 1943 Australia Florin as WWII Trench Art, seems like it could have been made into a sweetheart pendant, should get at least double melt or more.

OP
OP
M

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Yay. Y'all are full of great information! I spent several hours tonight sorting silver. Gonna put up some silver lots too. I'll let you know what happens.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
when I have foreign coins that I think might be silver I just talk to google. fastest way to find out.

I set my browser to IMAGES and say OK GOOGLE then read off what is in the coin and the date.

up pops hundreds of photos. I click on one that matches and most of the time is will tell metal composition and if silver the actual weight of the silver.

I have a small pouch that I keep these coins in. What I do before i put the coin in the pouch is write on the coin the value of the silver for that day in black magic marker. I am waiting till I fill the small pouch before I go to my melter/refiner.

bartholomewroberts

Feb 23, 2011
Cedar, B.C.
Detector(s) used
excal2, XP Deus, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice pieces.. and listen to Bill on these.. jewelery will command a premium

Micheal

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread