I went to the auction... Your thoughts on my take? Could you help to id the stones?

blacksheep4289

Aug 21, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I'm always going to auctions. I usually keep a level head on my shoulders and make great purchases to put on ebay... But I think I may have overpaid... Take a look at my purchase and let me know what you think. Also I have no idea what any of the stones are. Any of your help would be greatly appreciated.

#1. Marked 14k, weights 7.28 grams Paid $125. This also has a hallmark of two dice(both show 2)

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

#2. Marked 14k, weights 5.18 grams Paid $90

1.jpg 2.jpg

#3. Marked 14k, 1.79 Grams Paid $30

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

#4. Marked 14k, 5.93 Grams Paid 112.50. I didn't know that it was messed up in the center.

1.jpg 2.jpg

#5. "Platinum'? Only marking on the inside is 950, weighs 4.45 grams. Paid $125... I did an acid test on it and it took it about 15 minutes to dissolve completely. Does that mean it's not real platinum?

3.jpg 2.jpg 1.jpg 4.jpg

#6. Marked 14k, 6.81 Grams. Paid 125. Not really sure what this is. Some sort of bracelet? I'm not sure why it would have the extra big of chain there.

1.jpg

Total $670(3% fee for using card and 7% sales tax)

So did I over spend a bit? Pretty sure my wife is going to flip when she finds out how much I spent tonight.

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like opals in #2 bracelet, amethyst #3 earrings, and the ring marked 950 is hard to tell with the pics for sure but possible turquoise chips? Or opal? Did you test that ring for sterling? As far as overpaying, I wouldn't have paid what you did but that doesn't mean you over paid. It's worth what someone else is willing to pay. Also, the multicolored stone bracelet may be garnet, peridot, citrine? blue topaz? Not real sure, sorry.

MRBeyer

Apr 25, 2007
Moses Lake, WA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster and MXT, sluice
First picture shows Citrine (yellow), Peridot (green), amethyst (purple), aquamarine (blue).
#2 yep, thinking 2 is Opal
#3, either amethyst or smoke quartz? Hard to tell from the different color in the pictures.
#4, with a little patience and a plastic rounded surface like a BIC pen body you should be able to work out most of the kink.
#5 looks like 950 silver to me due to the block turquoise in it. I'm thinking they got you with this one.
#6, that is a keeper chain so you don't lose it.

Thanks for sharing.

Viminacium

Mar 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Caesar II prototype, minelab xplorer XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On firs pic only one stone looks real..

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You got taken on the ring. The 950 ring is silver. I have one similar with the same 950 marking. If it were platinum, the mark would be encompassed with a pentagon around it or 950PT or 950Plat. I'd be complaining if it were me.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would bet the 950 ring is silver not platinum.
The turquoise "chip" style would have never been used in platinum.

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mostly nice pieces. Prices are good for pre-owned retail except the silver 950 ring. on the whole, no, I don't think you overpaid. Resold online or in a shop I think you would make a small profit even considering the transaction costs as long as you were willing to wait for the right buyers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread