It sure does not look like silver but the test....

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure says something different. I have tried it three different places on the pendant and get the same results. It looks like bronze or brass but maybe that is just because it was with other metals so it tarnish different there's no mark on it. I was getting ready to throw it up in the junk drawer lot and said it kind a looks like silver so I thought I would test it. I use the 18 K acid. And here's my results from testing it.

image-3839017889.jpg

Being that there are no marks on it I'm probably going to have a hard time telling how old it is but I wanted to share and maybe see what some of your opinions might be. It may actually have a gold layer over top of the silver itself that is starting to wear off. Weight is 50 g.

image-3394714409.jpg

image-4089392714.jpg

image-4131005966.jpg

I don't know. It looks like it might be a very old piece? I can see the rivets in the metal and it is cracked somewhat on the sides as well. Any thoughts?

Henry2

May 27, 2011
Looks like a menorah but I'm not finding anything with the 3 triangles in front of it.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Strange strong test result. It may be pure silver.
Silver after time and certain circumstances CAN get a goldish brassish look to it.

gino22

Nov 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver left alongside other metals for a long time can tarnish to look like total junk. Your piece actually doesn't look too UNLIKE old silver, especially the back. It's probably good.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm more interested in the symbol depicted in front of the menorah. Not to mention the unusual (but not unheard of) five armed menorah.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm more interested in the symbol depicted in front of the menorah. Not to mention the unusual (but not unheard of) five armed menorah.

I spent an hour on Google last night putting in menorah photos. Menorah pendants. Menorah with triangle. If you put in menorah with stars you get the star of David. I couldn't find anything that was even close to it.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there a Temple nearby? Look for an older Rabbi. I have done that is the past about a 5 lb silver Torah Shield I bought. He couldn't help me too much but he did ask if i wanted to donate it to his church.

gilgar

Mar 18, 2009
A Little South of Heaven
Detector(s) used
Garrett Treasure Ace 300
the "triangles" kinda look like a scarf to me. Maybe it's a prayer shawl? and the coin is some kind of bar mitzvah token or memento??

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread