Butterflies!?

meanpc

Jun 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I meant to post this earlier, but I was busy at the time. The night of December 17th I listed these Butterflies for $59 BIN (they pay shipping). Before I woke up, they were bought and paid for. I joked with my wife, telling her that I was going to put an astronomical price on the butterflies just for fun, then lower it later. I paid $2 at a garage sale. The frame measures 12.5" square.

Anybody else sold butterflies before?

butter.JPG

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
outstanding.gif
Sure does look like a nice collection - you did good - easy money. Thanks for sharing...

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was a kid, I use to collect them. Would catch them and do all that stuff like the framed ones. I won every science fair in my area... Actually won a scholarship to pay for my first two years of college free. Plus about $4000 in savings bonds. And then I ended up donating the set to the local college before I moved down here to Florida. I had one set left I think I purchased a museum and I basically had fallen apart but I kept two of them on my wall now. But I've never sold them I don't see any out. I'm probably the reason you never see any flying around anymore...

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen some sell for what seemed ridiculous prices. I actually came across some at the Salvation Army store, but they wanted $8-$12 each for them.

vwayne1

Jan 14, 2005
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Not sure why you think that is an outrageous price. That's looks like a very nice set. I would have started it around $99. Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
M

meanpc

Jun 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure why you think that is an outrageous price. That's looks like a very nice set. I would have started it around $99. Thanks for sharing.

Probably just me projecting my own value of money and property onto my potential customers again. :)

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is what I have left. My daughter who is three always wants to pet them when she comes into the room.

image-300831542.jpg

I think if I touch them they will fall to pieces.

kali_is_my_copilot

Feb 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beachkid I have some too:

ForumRunner_20150108_034921.png

There are a ton of different designs from simple to incredibly complex, & infinite variations and paper opportunities, I've thought about doing a large "collection" shadow box, I wouldn't be the first but that wouldn't make it any less awesome. Also high five from one science fair boss to another (although I didn't go semi-pro and put myself through school behind it, that's impressive).

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it just me, or are there fewer butterflies now than when I was a kid, 45 years ago?

Moths also seem more scarce.:dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions