DONE with Goodwill! - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: DONE with Goodwill!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Apr 2004
    Southern Appalachia
    Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202
    1092 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Yeah, I started noticing GW going downhill beginning about 15 years ago when things in a lot of different catagories started "not" appearing at their retail sites as they had in the past. Just more and more and more JUNK which mostly should be headed to a landfill. Then whenever they had something decent, the price rivaled full retail for the same new thing in a regular retail store. So, caveat emptor - buyer beware, not much actual good will going on at these places anymore, and just one more example how the average Joe is conned into believing he is helping other people like himself when he makes a donation to that corporate entity which high-grades everything and not much quality merchandise actually gets through to economically challenged people who could really use it and appreciate it.
    I have them on my personal boycott list and won't be wasting my time in their establishment anymore.

Charter Member
    us
    IT COULD BE A VALUABLE PRIZE "YOU NEVER KNOW"

Nov 2006
    N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
    ** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
    2732 times
    ANY TYPE OF TREASURE HUNTING THAT PUTS MONEY IN MY POCKET
    Quote Originally Posted by mugsisme View Post
    I thought GW was a FOR PROFIT store? Every time they ask me to round up, I always say no.
    What does ..round up .mean ?
    ".. Let no one know what , when , or where ..'

Jun 2014
    138 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Keppy View Post
    What does ..round up .mean ?
    Keppy, when you check out- say your total is 12.68. The clerk will ask if you would like to round up to $13 as a donation to Goodwill.

us
    Jun 2006
    Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
    WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
    2876 times
    The GW by me is a rip period! They have a "job training center" most of the time the lights aren't on, and there's a table with a couple 286 PCs. Asked the lady what the program consisted of. She replied, They provide a place where an individual could access the web to find a job. Cmon, couldn't come up with a better story??

What turned me away for good was 1. when I needed to find a 5 1/2 floppy drive to recover some data from some floppies for a friend. Last place I checked was this GW. Believe it or not they had one! Get this! It had a thirtyfive dollar price tag!?!? Asked the lady if that was the right price since they were selling them for $5 on Ebay. Her response? Get this "Well, we have overhead." Told her I had brains & common sense! Walked out. 2. Helping a neighbor clear out a relatives house and she was emphatic we donated to GW. Pulled up, the guy comes out and digs through the bags in my trailer. Pulls out the three best items and says that's all they want!?!? Needless to say ALL the stuff went to a church thrift store that actually does good for people. That was four years ago & was the last time for me.
    meanpc likes this.
    I know it's here, just need a bigger coil!

I think I know what my last words will be....
    "Hold my beer and watch this!"

us
    Jun 2006
    WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
    2876 times
    Quote Originally Posted by meanpc View Post
    Keppy, when you check out- say your total is 12.68. The clerk will ask if you would like to round up to $13 as a donation to Goodwill.
    Or anytime you get hit with this or any of the donate your change things use my come back! "How about donating $10.00 to the FMFB foundation?"

What's the FMFB you say?

Feed My Fat Butt

Jun 2014
    138 times
    Now that I think about it, Goodwill tried to do that to me one time to. They tried to take about half the stuff. They already had it unloaded, then they told me they COULDN'T take the rest. Amazingly, it turned out they could once I told them I was gonna load the stuff back up and leave. Real dick move.
    Jayers likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Wolf Pack!

Jan 2014
    Brookings-Harbor Oregon
    Bounty hunter gold digger Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats Keene A52P Blue Bowl Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
    11919 times
    Our town got a GW a few months ago. I talked with one of the guys that accepts donations. He said we use completed Ebay sales to price merchandise, It goes to charity people will pay the price. No deals for me!

Freedom is something that dies unless it's used.

Time is like a river. You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again. Enjoy every moment of your life.

A student said to his master, "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?"
    The master replied, "It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than to be a gardener in a war."

Apr 2013
    44 times
    I went to a Goodwill yesterday .....saw a decent pair of Nike sneakers....(nothing spectacular.....not new....decent shape)

Price: $20.00

Thought that was ridiculous. I almost said something to the manger (which I rarely do).

I like the Salvation Army much better.
    boogeyman likes this.

Jul 2013
    NYC
    627 times
    I've been to GW twice in the last 20 years. The most recent last year and definitely see the difference. After last years visit I will not go back.

At my local TS they buy in bulk donations from charities. Last week I witnessed a practice that the IRS would be interested in. They had a worker scan the price tags of items, then break it and toss it into the garbage bin. So the way I look at it hypothetically:

If the store sells $1000 and claims $750 in damaged goods then they are only paying 25% of the corporate taxes that they are supposed to.

Donors need to be educated as to what really happens to their donations.

Oct 2013
    fort myers fl
    4644 times
    I had to pick up a friend and drive him to the condo their family staying at for the week down near Fort Myers Beach. There's a goodwill toward out here that I've never been to so I thought hey you know what richer people here they probably have nicer stuff. LOL or as I found out they have the same junk that all the other ones have. Only now the prices were a little bit higher I think maybe they were the same but five dollars for use T-shirt is too high. Oh well there are 15 other thrift stores from this one to my house so I will stop at them instead.

us
    Jun 2006
    WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
    2876 times
    I'm with Rocknroll on Salvation Army! A couple times people I've known had hit hard times, like a lady in our club had her husband walk out on her & her two daughters leaving her with nothing. The punk even took the girls toys, books etc. We called several agencies trying to get her help. Salvation Army showed up THAT DAY! They outfitted the house, gave them food & clothes, got her a real cool job (she stayed at it for 9 years) and kept in contact with her to see if she was OK for quite awhile! Can't do better than that! Over the years, it seems when we've tried to get people help we don't bother calling the others that can't give you the time of day.
    Drmad7 likes this.

Aug 2012
    877 times
    There's one goodwill local to me that has a ridiculous pricer. I can get some of the things they're selling in their display case for 30% less, including shipping, on eBay. Who in their right mind will pay MORE than the market price out of a case at GW? I too want to complain to management, but with my luck I'd end up talking to the person that prices everything.
    "The right to swing my fist ends where the other man's nose begins." Oliver Wendell Holmes.

us
    Mar 2009
    365 times
    Done with Goodwill also. They've conned people into believing they help the underprivileged. They no more help the underprivileged than does Target or Wal-Mart.

us
    Jun 2010
    Baltimore MD
    AT PRO
    131 times
    What the heck are you all whining about!?! I'm killing it at Goodwill --yes KILLING IT!! It's incredible what you can get for old stretched out bras and filthy plastic toy parts. Those fools at Goodwill are hoarding the crumbs I tell you, the CRUMBS! Meanwhile, I'm loading up on the real treasure--well, if I was to blurt out the real treasure, it would get snatched up too, wouldn't it? I really enjoy talking about my finds, and reading about and learning from all of you. But nowadays virtually every trip to every estate sale/garage sale/Thrift Store/Auction has another middle aged white guy just like me looking up everything on his smart phone. So, when we're not increasing our own competition among buyers, we're alerting the corporate powers on just what to withhold or price higher.
    Just sayin'.
    Last edited by batcap; Jan 09, 2015 at 07:57 PM.

us
    Jun 2010
    Baltimore MD
    AT PRO
    131 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kemper View Post
    The part I highlighted is what worries me. How much of that 83% goes for wages and benefits to employees and other expenses ? I know people should not have to work for nothing but numbers like these really don't tell you much. Our Goodwill store is in the most expensive retail district. It is a good place to dump your leftover yard sale junk and they will give a donation receipt for your taxes but that doesn't help you much if at all.
    I know it seems wrong but paying people that are really good at fundraising very well is good business sense. Would you rather pay $20K to a guy that could raise $60K in donations, or pay $150K to someone who can raise $1M? How about paying the 2nd guy $400K or $500K, or even $750K? You would be so much farther ahead with the 2nd guy it wouldn't matter -- he's worth it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links