Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Headhunter23

Sep 19, 2011
I'm not a big fan of the retail Goodwill stores, 95% of all the good stuff goes in a silent auction case. But luckily at the one near me they have an outlet store, the big blue bins and you pay for it by the pound. I have found some really cool stuff in there and a few valuable items for cheap.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should back up your comments with supporting links and facts.

Back in the 70s, lots of things where different. Pre-1971 the dollar was backed by gold, glass-steagall existed. There is probably some hypocrisy/greed going on at goodwill. As upset many are about goodwill, I cannot imagine how they deal with the big players in the hypocrisy/greed arena.

My point is that all these people who are mad at goodwill are mad because they are no longer able to take advantage of that org for their own profit.

"You should back up your comments with supporting links and facts".>GOOGLE!< Read my responses! Read what the employees etc say, it's not that hard to use google to do a little research. I'm not out trying to make money from Goodwill. The fact is, I've probably donated more to Good Will than most here. A partner & I used to do house clean outs & clear out what wasn't bought at estate sales. Usually 1/4 to 1/3 of it we sold & the rest went to Goodwill. <FACT. Like I said, they were a good organization (20+)years back <fact They turned into a money grabbing organization helping very few if any. There are a lot of others like Salvation Army & Church thrift stores that do a heck of a lot more with a lot less helping people that need a leg up.

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"You should back up your comments with supporting links and facts".>GOOGLE!< Read my responses! Read what the employees etc say, it's not that hard to use google to do a little research. I'm not out trying to make money from Goodwill. The fact is, I've probably donated more to Good Will than most here. A partner & I used to do house clean outs & clear out what wasn't bought at estate sales. Usually 1/4 to 1/3 of it we sold & the rest went to Goodwill. <FACT. Like I said, they were a good organization (20+)years back <fact They turned into a money grabbing organization helping very few if any. There are a lot of others like Salvation Army & Church thrift stores that do a heck of a lot more with a lot less helping people that need a leg up.

I would recommend not going there or donating anymore.

vwayne1

Jan 14, 2005
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
I wish everyone in my area would boycott GW. I make mad money in these places. But, I don't waste my time looking for gold silver and jewelry.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Their mission is not to sell second hand goods to poor people. That is where you are confused. Their mission is to make as much money as possible off of those second hand goods in order to use that money for their so called job programs. Listen, I agree that I think they try to squeeze too much out of the donated goods they get. No argument there. I also agree that I think the numbers are a little skewed as to the monies they put forth for their "programs". Because they actually make money off of many of these programs too. Did you know that Goodwill of S.Fl. Goodwill’s Apparel Manufacturing Department produced over 6,000 military uniforms and flags daily for our country’s military during 2013 (which is actually a lot less than in previous years)? They used mainly handicapped employees paid them minimum wage (sometimes less) and then sold those goods for profit also. I'm sure they didn't donate those flags and uniforms. They also have a document shredding company where they employ the people they've trained and hired. Their main account being the IRS. Now they've opened a multi-million dollar laundering facility in Liberty City to provide a laundry and linen service for the area's hospitals. Hire some people from the ghetto (preferably handicapped), pay them minimum wage and BAM! mo money, mo money, mo money! I thought this was a not for profit? Yet everything they do ends up as a Goodwill business that makes more money. Kind of like having your cake and eating it too.

BTW- Each region of Goodwill has an annual report available to read online. How much of it is true and how much of it is hype is somewhere in the middle as far as i'm concerned. You should search for your area. Here is the last annual report for the Goodwill's in S.Fl.- http://cdn.trustedpartner.com/docs/...news/Goodwill_2013_Annual_Report_ZGBWFFUE.pdf

Also, the only reason I donate to Goodwill is because it's the closest thrift to my house to get rid of my yard sale junk and Salvation Army isn't open on Sundays.
Have you tried calling some of the smaller church stores? Sometimes they'll send a church member out to get your stuff, and they'll give you a receipt for your taxes. The one I found by me I call always sends this guy that is older & more decrepit than I am, kinda scared he'll keel over in my yard, but the guy & the church lady that comes too are always so excited & grateful, it's worth it to me to see appreciative people anymore.

bayslarry

Feb 14, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you tried calling some of the smaller church stores? Sometimes they'll send a church member out to get your stuff, and they'll give you a receipt for your taxes. The one I found by me I call always sends this guy that is older & more decrepit than I am, kinda scared he'll keel over in my yard, but the guy & the church lady that comes too are always so excited & grateful, it's worth it to me to see appreciative people anymore.

It seems you had a nice day at GW. Seriously you tried calling some of the smaller church stores why you might be doing so? The product would differ from GW and also the stuff you did like to have. If you one of the lovers of GW then you really need to know Goodwill Return Policy. The GW policy is 6 days and you will be not able to return product without a receipt.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People donate to these places so people can get things a a reasonable price but that no longer matters to some places it's about the money sorry that happened to you its sad

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems you had a nice day at GW. Seriously you tried calling some of the smaller church stores why you might be doing so? The product would differ from GW and also the stuff you did like to have. If you one of the lovers of GW then you really need to know Goodwill Return Policy. The GW policy is 6 days and you will be not able to return product without a receipt.

Why try to stir up something over a 5 year old thread?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread