A $40 estate find.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So at the want to stay today which was the only good sale and I got off pretty cheap spin spending $40. Especially because the painting was $50 and I got everything with it included. They were so desperate to sell the painting so I guess she was happy to get rid of everything.

One thing that will not be pictured are brass pirate book ends. Everything in this house was basically birds lots and lots of birds. I got to the sale at about 930 and expected not to find very much. But I am happy with what I did find!

This painting is signed C. Loft and I'm not sure with this exact painting sells for but I saw that one sold on eBay for $450.

image-2105112893.jpg

image-924730814.jpg

So I had all the rest of the stuff in my hand and she didn't really see the knife except for the blade which was the point. The man most of the jewelry was in bags some of it was separate.

image-3138577513.jpg

image-3150340304.jpg

image-3281102352.jpg

image-3873518637.jpg

The jewelry shocked me. 14k with black onyx. I know there's a lot of stone weight but the earrings weigh a total of 16 g. The other gold weight is 9.8 grams. I have no idea what the parrot is used for? A bolo maybe? Then that large Sterling bread knife.

So the people that were doing this estate sale have no idea about jury which is okay except for I can't be at every single sale they have. So I was thinking about calling her because they do them often and working something out with her if you have gold I'll give you this percentage and you get this mount from it like up before the sale deal with them. I'll see though because I just got a job at this place right by a lot of my jewelry at.

billn1956

Jan 2, 2010
You mite want to look and see if what you are wanting to do is legal in your state..If it is there owen property it should be. But if they are selling for other people it would not be. And weather you can go to all of them or not why would you want to kill a good buying chance for yourself or others..It is the auctioners job to sell it for the top bid, when they start trying to do things like you are wanting to do they start to get the type of talk about there busniess that ends up killing it. An say some body just goes into the place you are fixing to go to work at and just offers to buy ALL there jewerly by the pound site unseen witch would put you out of a job but at the same time would probaly be the best choice for the business. Every time some one decides to help a business because they cannot be there to get the deal they hurt them selfs but it just takes awhile to do it..Just like we help each other on here,,,business owners talk and help each other out also,,so sooner or later the help you gave some one 300 miles away to be nice and help, because it would not hurt you, its not where you go on your hunt...it will come back to get you..

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You mite want to look and see if what you are wanting to do is legal in your state..If it is there owen property it should be. But if they are selling for other people it would not be. And weather you can go to all of them or not why would you want to kill a good buying chance for yourself or others..It is the auctioners job to sell it for the top bid, when they start trying to do things like you are wanting to do they start to get the type of talk about there busniess that ends up killing it. An say some body just goes into the place you are fixing to go to work at and just offers to buy ALL there jewerly by the pound site unseen witch would put you out of a job but at the same time would probaly be the best choice for the business. Every time some one decides to help a business because they cannot be there to get the deal they hurt them selfs but it just takes awhile to do it..Just like we help each other on here,,,business owners talk and help each other out also,,so sooner or later the help you gave some one 300 miles away to be nice and help, because it would not hurt you, its not where you go on your hunt...it will come back to get you..

I actually went on their website and looked and there's a list of all of their upcoming sales that they're doing. So I think we're going to go to their sales first when I have them. Make that the first stop on the list on Saturday mornings and then go from there.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! Keep in mind that proof reading before hitting "post" would be really beneficial to the rest of us!

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! Keep in mind that proof reading before hitting "post" would be really beneficial to the rest of us!

Sorry. I was in the middle of posting and somebody came to the house. I put my phone in my pocket and then it probably sent.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you. Does anyone have any idea what the gold parrot is for? Or may go on?

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe the parrot is one of those "ear cuffs" from the '80's? Goes around the upper part of the ear?? Do the little parts on the back bend with a little pressure?

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking it is an ear cuff still. Nice finds!

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The black onyx earrings look to be high end. I have a pair similar, that are gold on the top part, and the hanging onyx disc has a carved soldier profile or mans bust on it. I believe they are designer, but I couldn't tell you who or which one.

Be sure that parrot wasn't a nose ring/jewelry/thingy, there may still be a booger on it! :laughing7:

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a similar pair, that has already sold. I have seen different variations of them. Gold on top, onyx on top, gem covered end caps, gold end caps, carved, not carved, they always seem to fetch a good dollar!
You did good!

14k Gold Black Onyx Disc Dangle Earring Pair | eBay

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Duplicated my post, sorry :)

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info!

I took the black and gold earrings to my jeweler to have all of the glue cleaned off, taken out and cleaned out and then reset the stones. They must've came out before one of them anyways and the original owner glued them with super glue because they looked horrible.

So I will get those back on Friday. Since I don't really know 100% what the parrot is for, and have not found anything just like it. There seems to be zero 14 karat parrot rings on eBay right now. So I'm going to take the other scrap gold earrings have him melt them into a ring and then mount the parrot on the ring. He makes really good jewelry as is so I'm pretty sure this will come out really nice looking. So I will post a picture when I have it done.

On another note I bought a 14 karat elks tooth today from the Elk lodge. I've never seen one before! Pretty neat. My kids thought it was disgusting!!

image-835850318.jpg

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL! Yeah, I'm not exactly with the "wearing of animal/body parts", either, yuk..... :laughing7:

I did have a first find simple gold ring, melted and capped a big gator tooth for the Mr. He likes it, lol, so good for him. LOL.

I remember the 11th hour, well. Worked at the Elks kitchen for yrs down here. Never saw a tooths like that either.
Cool. 8-)

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's been a couple weeks but the parrot ear clip from pictured above I had it added to a ring. I actually gave my jeweler gold earrings and he made the ring with them. Then added a green emerald to the parrots eye. Personally I think it came out pretty sweet looking! Here are some pictures!

image-1803478008.jpg

image-3105803749.jpg

OldSowBreath

Mar 18, 2009
BK - if you list these, look up the schedule for Jimmy Buffett concerts and time it to that. Also list them as Parrothead, Jimmy Buffett ring, etc. Lots of Parrotheads out there that would like to show off a ring like that.

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They were so desperate to sell the painting so I guess she was happy to get rid of everything.

Great deal! I'm no art expert, but I would think that the frame alone is worth more than $40.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread