Pre-Beatlemania

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
I few months ago I bought a box of NASA stuff which turned out to be mostly old magazines and newspapers with articles about the space program. I separated the magazines into those with cover photos of something space related and put all the others in a different pile. Today, I was flipping through one of the old Newsweek mags and came across this:

DSC05514.JPG DSC05515.JPG

This is the February 17, 1964 issue of Newsweek. The Beatles made their US debut on the Ed Sullivan Show eight days earlier on February 9th. I'm guessing this article was written (and may have even gone to press) before that appearance which I think most people would say launched Beatlemania. Judging by the title (intentional double entendre, perhaps?) of this article, it's placement on the back pages, and the limited column space allotted to it, I'm guessing the editors weren't too impressed by The Beatles. Or perhaps they were up just against a deadline. In any event, by the next issue (dated February 24th), things had changed dramatically as Newsweek's cover story was on The Beatles.

newsweek.jpg

I have seen the February 24th issue sell on eBay for up to $100. I wonder how many hard core Beatle collectors are even aware of this little article and how much they would be willing to pay for it? There are no copies of the February 17th issue available on eBay or in the Completed listings.

Last edited:

meanpc

Jun 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are no copies of the February 17th issue available on eBay or in the Completed listings.

That means you get the unique opportunity to tell them what it's worth.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Neatles were already very popular in Britain, had been since the release of MY Bonny. Known in Germany too. Beatlemania made it to the U.S. with Sullivan's show...

OP
OP
T

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, I am aware the Beatles were already popular in Europe. Some of the younger generation here in the US was also aware of them. Hence the crowd of screaming teenage girls at the airport. When I said their appearance on Sullivan's show launched Beatlemania I was, of course, referring to the U.S. Their popularity (and record sales!) in the US took off like a rocket after the Sullivan show.

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I LOVE me some collectibles that there are no examples of on ebay. You get to set the market. NICE FIND

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread