I buy strange stuff? Worthless?

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But then I don't know what it's called. Here is a good example of a necklace set that I don't know what it is. But it is strange / ugly so it has to be worth something! Would it be lucite?

image-4181693718.jpg

image-4117702402.jpg

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
Lucite is a DuPont brand name for an acrylic plastic. Probably no way to tell if it is Lucite but it certainly looks like an acrylic to me. Value? Who knows... beauty (and therefore, value) is in the eye of the beholder. Unless, of course, those little balls are sterling!

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What did you pay? Might not be too bad of a deal. One of my buyers sells sets like that for $25 - $35 round here. Shine up the acrylic beads with a little bit of Turtle wax, add a card (black) and that'll help you get a higher price. More people prefer stuff strung on the wire more than string. The other beads are plate, either chrome or a flash plating of silver.

If you can find a bunch more like that, snap em up! For an hours buffing & making cards to display them on, cellophane bags if you want to get real snazzy & you can make a pretty good chunk of change on a swap meet Saturday!

Been buying & selling vintage jewelry for almost 10 years now. If you need help finding replacement beads, stringing wire etc. Let me know!

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What did you pay? Might not be too bad of a deal. One of my buyers sells sets like that for $25 - $35 round here. Shine up the acrylic beads with a little bit of Turtle wax, add a card (black) and that'll help you get a higher price. More people prefer stuff strung on the wire more than string. The other beads are plate, either chrome or a flash plating of silver. If you can find a bunch more like that, snap em up! For an hours buffing & making cards to display them on, cellophane bags if you want to get real snazzy & you can make a pretty good chunk of change on a swap meet Saturday! Been buying & selling vintage jewelry for almost 10 years now. If you need help finding replacement beads, stringing wire etc. Let me know![/QUOT

This was at our thrift store in the display case for $2.99. So I figured I couldn't go to wrong. At first I thought the beads or Sterling but I have not tested them most likely they are plated. There is a store here if it does beating. She normally charges me like six dollars to restring something and that includes the wire is well. There is one problem area looks like it is inside though so that can't be fixed.

image-4057723446.jpg

But I figured it was probably 1960s era maybe for that necklace hand for three dollars I figured I could not go wrong. Even if I got $20 for that would be fine too. Thank you for your information!! I will try the turtle wax. And we have kids so I have a lot of black construction paper handy. Hopefully that will work I'm not too big in the buying stuff for backgrounds. Other than sheets. But I can check Salvation Army for a black sheet as well or even pillowcase I suppose.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What did you pay? Might not be too bad of a deal. One of my buyers sells sets like that for $25 - $35 round here. Shine up the acrylic beads with a little bit of Turtle wax, add a card (black) and that'll help you get a higher price. More people prefer stuff strung on the wire more than string. The other beads are plate, either chrome or a flash plating of silver. If you can find a bunch more like that, snap em up! For an hours buffing & making cards to display them on, cellophane bags if you want to get real snazzy & you can make a pretty good chunk of change on a swap meet Saturday! Been buying & selling vintage jewelry for almost 10 years now. If you need help finding replacement beads, stringing wire etc. Let me know![/QUOT

This was at our thrift store in the display case for $2.99. So I figured I couldn't go to wrong. At first I thought the beads or Sterling but I have not tested them most likely they are plated. There is a store here if it does beating. She normally charges me like six dollars to restring something and that includes the wire is well. There is one problem area looks like it is inside though so that can't be fixed.

View attachment 1111641

But I figured it was probably 1960s era maybe for that necklace hand for three dollars I figured I could not go wrong. Even if I got $20 for that would be fine too. Thank you for your information!! I will try the turtle wax. And we have kids so I have a lot of black construction paper handy. Hopefully that will work I'm not too big in the buying stuff for backgrounds. Other than sheets. But I can check Salvation Army for a black sheet as well or even pillowcase I suppose.
A cheap way to make display cards is to buy business card paper. You can cut it to any size you want & use a paper punch to make holes to put the jewelry into. If you want to get real snazzy you can print your logo before cutting them out. As far as a display, grab a piece of black foam board ($.99 store) & cut it up. Again if you want to get snazzy, cover the foamboard with some velvet from Walmart 3M headliner adhesive works great!. Never could understand sellers I know spending $100 - $150 for displays? When they could've done the same or nicer for under $20

The one you're holding in the pic can be rubbed out with some car buffing compound, then buffed with wax.

Looks like you've got a good eye! $20 worth of materials & you can stand next to the big sellers profit wise! Most of all have fun with it!!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread