Any idea what this is???

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I found this in a warehouse full of stuff I bought a while ago & it's been sitting in my workshop ever since. When you turn the knob it makes a humming/buzzing tone. Turning the knob further the tone sounds exactly the same & doesn't change volume until it gets about 3/4 of the way around when it cuts out. It runs on a 9 volt battery that fits in the handle. I can't find any marks on it.

826.JPG 827.JPG

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its a probe of some sort...heh
Alien in nature...:)

Um no ... really have no clue... BUT have some suggestions...
Try turning it on then turn on a radio and move it close to it... then try cell phone speaker etc... get where I am going ?
This would be to test if it is a "bug" detector/snifer... bug as in electronic tap bug etc...
this would be first guess... it seems to be a "detector" of some sort...
MAybe moisture ... who knows...
Experiment :)
Could be broken pinpointer for all ya know.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
it's a pin pointer for metal detecting, I have one and it is almost useless since it has a range of only about 1/2 inch. I do love my propointer though.

OP
OP
T

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
it's a pin pointer for metal detecting, I have one and it is almost useless since it has a range of only about 1/2 inch. I do love my propointer though.

I thought that might be what it is.....but how in the heck does it work? Is the buzz supposed to stop or get louder when you get near metal? I tried swinging it near metal a bunch of times over the last sveral months & couldn't get any change in tone or volume.

scaupus

Apr 20, 2011
Not too far from a beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought that might be what it is.....but how in the heck does it work? Is the buzz supposed to stop or get louder when you get near metal? I tried swinging it near metal a bunch of times over the last sveral months & couldn't get any change in tone or volume.

there shud be a sensitivity knob.

JrMack

Feb 16, 2014
steuben co. ny
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter, x-terra 305/505/705,discovery TF 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks exactly like the crappy ones that I have From Kellyco---most times I just grab a handful of dirt and wave it at the coil on my md--finds faster!

Justice70

Oct 18, 2008
michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Whites Prizm iv
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it looks like a pinpointer and sounds like a pinpointer, she be a pinpointer...:laughing7:

OP
OP
T

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
Lol, this is a metal detecting site and you don't know what a pinpointer looks like. Shame, shame :laughing7:. Looks like a Fisher F-Point, pretty cheap model usually a giveaway with the purchase of a detector.

I have a metal detector but I'm not what you would call an enthusiast. In the 10 years I've owned it I may have used it a couple dozen times. That's why I post on the garage sale section of the forum. I did suspect this might be a pinpointer, but without any marks on it & with the constant tone I couldn't identify it or figure out how to use it.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like a Fisher F-Point or clone. They actually work pretty well. Set the knob so it is just silent and when you get within 1-1/2" or so of a coin it buzzes and vibrates. Waterproof and cheap (free with detector).

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a metal detector but I'm not what you would call an enthusiast. In the 10 years I've owned it I may have used it a couple dozen times. That's why I post on the garage sale section of the forum. I did suspect this might be a pinpointer, but without any marks on it & with the constant tone I couldn't identify it or figure out how to use it.
That's alright. I've owned a couple pinpointers and didn't like or really even need them so I sold them on eBay. I still have my detectors, just don't use them as much as I should. Now that gas has gone down quite a bit, it may be time for a weekend excursion into the center of the state, like I used to do.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't been out much in the past 2 years either, balance issues have sidelined me. I've had several pin pointers that have come with detectors I've bought, but I don't have much use for them. I hunt the beach and shallow water almost exclusively. Hopefully I can get out more this year, I need the exercise.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions